1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The Rudies seemed to like the Royals Plain Caps,/Smooths, The Brogue worn by Skinheads was the so called American Brogues, Which was the Long Wing Tip. The English Brogue is different and if worn by the ignorant ...you would have had the piss taken out of you.:)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

3. PxC

PxC Active Member

What about the guy with the mustache at 01:34? I've seen a few pics of originals with 'taches. Specially from up north. How common was it?

Also, going back a few pages, from what I understood, original Ben Shermans had no V on the sleeves. Is that right? When did they start having the V?
    Also, check out this shirt, it's a 1964 record by Brazil's most popular singer, Roberto Carlos:
    [​IMG]

I've always liked this shirt. V on the sleeves, but no buttons.
    Does anyone know which brands back in the 60's had the V on sleeves thing?
    Also, in the original skinhead days, were shirts with sleeves like this (V but no buttons) around?

1 person likes this.
  4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

What about the guy with the mustache at 01:34? I've seen a few pics of originals with 'taches. Specially from up north. How common was it?

The lad with a Tach is Jim Garret ..he is the only Skinhead i ever saw with one,... at the time i thought it was a bit odd, but never got around to ask him why he had one, :D

5. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Facial Hair is the preserve of Gypsies, Theives and Desperados! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Anyone seen this footage, does't look to be '71? Might just be the year the documentary was released rather then when it was shot.
    The Greaser line dance is the pretty dumb :p:

1 person likes this.
  7. Paint House Gang

Paint House Gang Well-Known Member

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

If anyone took the piss out of me for wearing English brogues nowadays they would get the rough edge of my tongue. :)

Incidentally, I remember that blokes in London did wear other types of brogues before American wing-tips became really big in 1969.

9. bunty

bunty Senior member

Another great find, nice to see a playground with a 'Witch's hat' again :D

Buttons - Thanks for posting the photos of your Harry Fenton shirt. I was pretty sure that I had one as a kid (from a charity shop in the 80s) and looking at your pics, it was too, the yellowy/mustard one as stated ...you could find tons of original stuff if you weren't too proud to rummage through rails in an Oxfam shop.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  10. buttons

buttons Senior member

Buttons - Thanks for posting the photos of your Harry Fenton shirt. I was pretty sure that I had one as a kid (from a charity shop in the 80s) and looking at your pics, it was too, the yellowy/mustard one as stated ...you could find tons of original stuff if you weren't too proud to rummage through rails in an Oxfam shop.[/quote]

So true, Bunty.
    Spent a lot of the 80s rummaging around charity shops etc - a bag of jems every week. Original Bennies for 10/-.
    Just a shame I was as skinny as a rake back then, so most of its moved on.
    Still wearing various knitwear, boots, sheepskins etc I bought in the 80s though.

11. buttons

buttons Senior member

The lad with a Tach is Jim Garret ..he is the only Skinhead i ever saw with one,... at the time i thought it was a bit odd, but never got around to ask him why he had one, :D[/quote]

As for tasches, I'm assumin it wasn't a 'skinhead style' as such - just personal prefernce. Had a look last night and think I found 8 pics from 69-70 of skinheads with one.

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I remember bunking into the Essoldo Kilburn to watch this film in 68 ? It was a X Film..and considered naughty for the times,:)

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I noticed with the pics of the Harry Fenton Shirt is made of Poly/Cotton mix, Am sure the Ben Shermans of the time was 100% cotton, but American imports from the Ivy shop was also Ploy/Cotton mix, It seemed everything that came out then was permanent press, :)

14. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

In the above article John Simons mentioned Skinheads He always seemed in denial that Skinheads ever shopped in his shop,:)

If it was not for the Skinheads spending so much money in the Ivy shop..he could not of opened the Squire shop and later the Village gate shops.

16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I saw them in Brixton Market and it seems that they were popular around that Area.Skins from other parts of London have not seen them before-which is new to me.I have a copy of the Jacket now(Black Leather).That is how much I liked them.

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Always wanted a Suede Levi Jacket with a Leather Collar(Bottle Green).Never got it.As M-o-M says,they were expensive-only the top "Boys had them.My Output on Clothing was hampered by the fact,I worked in the Retail Trade.Never one of the better paid Jobs.Still got me around the various Areas of London(mostly South,West and East London).Never really went to places such as Kilburn,Williesden etc.Only went to the "Royal" once.There were other Dancehalls/Clubs that I went to.

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I was pretty lucky to pick up a Black Leather Levi Jacket on Ebay,some months ago.I Lovely Jacket.Have not had the "Bottle" to wear it out yet-old habits die hard.:)

1 person likes this.
  19. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

In late `67/ early`68,I wore a heavy English Brogue(with thick Leather Sole).This was before the "Royals" took off.There were other Brogues worn,I remeber a cherry red Brogue worn-whether this was widely worn?

20. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Junya Watanabe MAN has a split suede Levi's Type 3 jacket with a corduroy collar this season, comes in black and maybe brown.