• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

loempiavreter

Reaction score

Friends, I'm searching everywhere for where we got the title 'Walk Proud'. It was somewhere in the 252 pages of this thread. I believe it was taken from or adapted from the title of a Reggae record. Can anyone enlighten me?

The reggae record in question could be Martin Riley - Walking proud.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if memory serves I think it's from the paragraphs I copied from Kevin Rowland's bit in the book "The Look" by John Gorman. he calls skinhead the "great lost look"

You're right, Jason. I just need to find the page reference and that'll be 100%

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I can get that for you when I get home tonight, as far as a page reference

feel free to PM me if I forget, I've been real busy at work so things slip my mind when I get home!!

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Page 188

Good job RSG! wasn't around in 1969 then :)

I was at school and was always in awe of a group of Fifth Formers when I was about second year. They seemed to have Mod down to a fine art. A couple of them appeared on RSG and I guess they were only too happy to set aside their 'values' temporarily for the exposure...

albion

Reaction score
Hi all..Just a quick question for the originals regarding braces. Were
braces ever worn back then dangling around the arse, or is that a
strictly late 70's-80's development? Never liked that look myself. Cheers.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all..Just a quick question for the originals regarding braces. Were
braces ever worn back then dangling around the arse, or is that a
strictly late 70's-80's development? Never liked that look myself. Cheers.

It wasn't something one saw all that often, it wasn't a point of style or anything like that, so don't take it as typical. However, there were odd occasions when it happened. For example, take this piece of newsreel from 1964 - at about 01:20 you'll see three lads mucking about, one being dragged into the sea. They're actually mods having a good time (frustratingly for the newsreel!). One is stripped to the waist and his braces are dangling. Obviously this is a place/situation where the 'look' has been relaxed for a while. Okay I know this is 1964, but so many of the things we knew in 1969 had been carried on from beforehand. By 1969 I had been wearing braces for at least three years, and I can't remember a single instance of having them dangling, but I could imagine it happening somewhere like the beach...

I can recall having done so when I dragged out some of my old gear during the punk era, but that's another matter. It always struck me that that particular look borrowed something from the visual style of the punks' bondage trousers.

Which brings me on to something for the book. I would like members of 'The Firm' (the 'originals' from this forum) to say specifically what they think the revivals/revivalists got wrong! Controversial, I know, but I think it'll go well in the book. There's nothing like a good bit of controversy!

:)

Combat

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can get a pair of Solatio loafers. Also can't remember as far as skinhead fashion goes, did loafers come out before brogues, I seem to remember wearing loafers first but a mate reckons he was wearing brogues before loafers.

buttons

Reaction score
When you say ‘got wrong’, its a little unfair.
I’m not sticking up for ‘poor quality’ skinheads mind but what you will find is, as we’ve found on here and elsewhere from an original point of view, there’s many different regional variations from different years, so its not as simple as right or wrong.
That lad from Boro for example in his tartan clad Wrangler jacket and massive turn ups – he’s an original skinhead but what skinhead had distorted itself into, for some teenegers, in some towns, years after the style first appeared.
Early revival had a lot of crossover from the original days as many remembered the styles; clothes were still widely available (often in cheap shops as out of season etc). You see the odd pic from say ’77 / ’78 and the lads are not dressed half bad. However, when the revival scene erupted as Two Tone became big, there were thousands of skinheads everywhere, from all walks and all ages. Also at a similar time there was the Oi! Scene, which many took under their wings along with two tone (also mixed with older sounds). The influence of punk had a dramatic (and in my view destructive) effect on the skinhead look.
I’m not an original but I’ve dressed such for decades, getting the detail as right as I could, within what I knew, from being a teenager onwards. Never got out of it, always dressed as ‘right’ as I could. So having experienced it from the tail end of the revival, I’ve seen it go through many guises, with many twists.
The revival saw a lot of youth cult identity (skinheads along with punks, revival mods and even Teds) and the belonging was very strong, so the dress sense was very uniformed. As with the originals (for a period) if you had short hair, boots, braces rolled up jeans, you were a skinhead. Variations on the theme were largely considered wrong. Same as there was skinhead music and everything else – distinct boundaries not to be crossed. But as always, there’s cool dressers and there’s millions of followers.
Sorry is this is all a bit rushed and unstructured, as I could talk about this stuff all day (just don’t have time). The revival skinheads got it all ‘wrong’, but largely because they weren’t doing what the originals were doing in ’68, they were doing something else. Its a shame really that the ‘skinhead’ name was adopted as if it had been called something different, the original style could have been left in history as what it was and not bastardised a million ways since.
Since the revival, there’s been skinheads in various walks of youth (and now-a-days not so youthful) culture. Scooter rally skinheads of the 90’s in check Brutus shirts, MA1s and red Martens – a uniform in its own right, harking back to the originals to the slightest extent, but with many modern day influences.
There’s a thriving skinhead scene at the moment, with a mix of styles blended in, from original revivalists (for want of a better phrase) to others who have come in and out of it for years, mixing various ‘skinhead’ styles from along the way.
For me, the original style is king and nothing else counts (from a personal point of view), but I have to understand where everyone else is coming from. Some try and get it wrong cos they haven’t a clue. Some aren’t trying to recreate an old style - just stealing bits from here and there and doing what they like.
I could talk about clothes all day but for now must get back to work.....
Great forum by the way.
Buttons

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads