• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First ever trip to John Simons today. Hadn't realised it was so close to Marylebone and popped in while I was in the area.
Quite tempted by a short raincoat but resisted as I don't really need another. Best part was that I normally take an XL and the L was a good fit - somebody must be flattering the customers :)
Friendly staff.
Yeah , l do like that shop .

Went to the new AoL shop last week , didn't realise how close it was to Oxford St . Again , staff very friendly and helpful , picked up a dark green , corduroy , 3 button jacket . Haven't worn it yet as it is still a bit hot .

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as Sta-prest are concerned , l read a bit about them a couple of years ago (could have been 20) from Levis .

As far as l can remember , the target customer were travelling salesmen in the USA , guys that basically lived out of a suitcase in the days before motels had trouser presses . The Levis salesman would travel around with a small portable washing machine and wash the trousers in front of the prostpect and then take them out and show them the lack of creases .

Were these trousers of the 5 pocket variety ? I do not know , as far as l can remember it didn't specify but l had assumed that they were not .

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Thanks K!

1. I always look at SF on my iPhone. I still see the blog link in the signature of each post. Strange that you don’t see it??

2. Interesting - from my own very hazy recollection (I think I’m giving you several years!!) as a young kid in northern England in the late sixties Sta-pressts (There were several no-name brands and I had no idea back then of any connection with Levi’s) were of the poplin smooth handed formal trouser variety. But I THINK they originated in america in the early sixties with Levi’s and their first iteration was in a five pocket jeans style.

Happy to be corrected if anyone had concrete evidence to the contrary.
I wasn't making any attempt to prove you wrong, but I found this piece on the levis site referring to the first Sta Prest as slacks.

The first STA-PREST™ garments were produced in 1963: trousers made from 100 percent cotton twill and sateen. These high-end slacks were offered for sale for the 1964 season. Although they were immediately popular, it was soon discovered that all-cotton clothing could not withstand the curing process. Eventually, all products had to be made with synthetic fabrics, or blends of synthetic and natural fabrics (usually a 65/35 blend).

LV96562-Black-Logo-Portrait-Bottom-Right.jpg

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Interesting stuff - I don’t mind being corrected as sometimes the details on vintage duds and their evolution can be hard to come by j less we have the patience for a deep dive!
I didn’t know they began as 100 percent cotton either.
That's true. I've bought a few vintage pairs with very little to no labeling, so I usually scouer those articles for the slightest of details.

Inkss

Reaction score
A few mod girls were still wearing that style round my way in the early 80s. Though some were more reedless bassoon than Vidal Sassoon. Then again it was less that 20 years later. If a Quadrophenia type film was made today, it'd be set in 2007 and would be about Dubstep. You'd be hard pushed to spot the obvious anachronisms in that film like you could in Quadrophenia (Blokes with long hair, beards and flares in the background, ads for stuff that didn't yet exist, very non-60s cars etc).
"In the scene at the Club, Krexy was using a iPhone 4, which didn't come out till 2010"

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that hairstyle. So many young women wore that style in the 60s.
Really?
I hate that hairstyle. Bob has to be the most boring hairstyle any girl could get. I can see why Yorky dumped her 😜😁.

Full disclosure - as much as I love Mod style for men I never much liked it for girls. Mary Jane shoes, granny shoes, white tights, ski pants, tweed suits, twin sets, bobbed Barnet … never did anything for me. Tan tights? Urgh! I’m happy to report that in the16 years since I met my missus she has never worn tights!

The later sixties style of micro mini skirts, Bridget Bardot in her prime, Melissa Mell, Nathalie Delon etc was much more appealing to me.

Coming up as I did in the revival era there weren’t many Mod girls around ours and I was fine with that as the contemporary styles for girls were better anyway - mostly!

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Just found this online, me at least the back of my head and the ex missus Queing up outside of the Ryde Theatre on the Isle of Wight 1995. Not a double chin in sight😆.
it was the Saturday night do View attachment 1831648
The kind of wimmin who have that hairstyle these days are 45 and want to speak to the manager lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads