• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Yes its hard to date this pic, I think it maybe late 68/early 69, Not wearing braces was not a big deal, the turn ups are a bit strange, I do not think the Girls hair is a grown out feather cut,
I remember girls wearing that type of dress when i was in school in 68, its just what any girl would have worn.
Going back to the turn ups, We would just roll them up, trying to get the turn up 3 quarter of a inch.. to one inch.

Think I did know something about the provenance of this photo, but I can't bring it to mind at the moment (must be getting old)! I'll have a think and get back to you. What I will say, though, is that the girl's shoes look later to me. Brideshead, wasn't your girlfriend wearing something similar in your autumn '71 photos?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
Got to agree with you MOM. Not 'demure', but definitely 'in control' of themselves and their behaviour. Even the women I know now who were the 'brasher' type of Skinheads then were a lot less 'ladish' than some girls now. As for the make-up, I think Brideshead said 'skilfully applied' not that they weren't wearing any. The Julie Driscoll style make-up isn't easy to do and, done well, can look very sophisticated.
Now I am really going to throw a grenade in here.The Girls I would call "Cool" and "Poised" were the Mod Girls before.I married one ex-Mod in `71.She nor Her Mates never considered themselves Skinhead Girls.There were a lot of them.I was 19 in `69 so I would say a lot of the Clubs I went to,were not strictly Skinhead anymore.I think I can count on one hand how many Girls(who would fall into the Skinhead catagory)I dated,between `68/69.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Now I am really going to throw a grenade in here.The Girls I would call "Cool" and "Poised" were the Mod Girls before.I married one ex-Mod in `71.She nor Her Mates never considered themselves Skinhead Girls.There were a lot of them.I was 19 in `69 so I would say a lot of the Clubs I went to,were not strictly Skinhead anymore.I think I can count on one hand how many Girls(who would fall into the Skinhead catagory)I dated,between `68/69.
In 69, 70% of Skinheads was 15/16, around my way, about a dozen was 17. And they was Men to us, I am sure a 19 year old would not be dateing a say 16 year old girl, The point I am making is a 19 year old girl would never had been a skinhead girl, I suppose a older girl will be more poised ?

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
Think I did know something about the provenance of this photo, but I can't bring it to mind at the moment (must be getting old)! I'll have a think and get back to you. What I will say, though, is that the girl's shoes look later to me. Brideshead, wasn't your girlfriend wearing something similar in your autumn '71 photos?

Great memory Little Queenie! She was, but I feel that hers were of a higher quality - from what we can tell from the two pics. This might suggest, but I'm not sure, that the other girl is wearing a later rip-off of the style. Say, 1972? If so that may explain why the bloke is wearing a wider looking jean perhaps. In any event, I can find nothing attractive about the look that either of them is sporting
biggrin.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 69, 70% of Skinheads was 15/16, around my way, about a dozen was 17. And they was Men to us,
I am sure a 19 year old would not be dateing a say 16 year old girl,
The point I am making is a 19 year old girl would never had been a skinhead girl,
I suppose a older girl will be more poised ?

Yes Mate,that is the point I am making-Skinhead Girls(normally about 16/17)did not have the "Poise" of their older Sisters.
There were older Girls who wore their Hair Longer(my Wife to be had shoulder-length Hair).In `68 I had a Girlfriend who had the "Mia Farrow"Look,I never met Girls with the "Feather Look"-they were too young.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure a 19 year old would not be dateing a say 16 year old girl
Well this is interesting. I can only talk about the 'demographics' in two small areas. In Blackpool you simply did not date anyone more than one or two years younger than you; I mainly dated girls of the same age as myself. By the time I got to S E London I was 18. The majority of the girls of the same age as myself were already engaged or married. I found blokes of my age did date much younger girls. Why? Because they were the only unattached females 'available'. In late 1969, when I was 19, my girlfriend was 16, and I wasn't on my own there!

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Well this is interesting. I can only talk about the 'demographics' in two small areas.

In Blackpool you simply did not date anyone more than one or two years younger than you; I mainly dated girls of the same age as myself. By the time I got to S E London I was 18. The majority of the girls of the same age as myself were already engaged or married. I found blokes of my age did date much younger girls. Why? Because they were the only unattached females 'available'. In late 1969, when I was 19, my girlfriend was 16, and I wasn't on my own there!

I think girls often aspire to go out with an 'older' man. Someone with greater social standing, a job and, perhaps, a bit more sophisticated than boys her own age? There is definite kudos in that (the other way around is a bit weird, though! Especially at that age... so saying, my Mum is 18 months older than my Dad!)

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead
Great memory Little Queenie! She was, but I feel that hers were of a higher quality - from what we can tell from the two pics. This might suggest, but I'm not sure, that the other girl is wearing a later rip-off of the style. Say, 1972? If so that may explain why the bloke is wearing a wider looking jean perhaps. In any event, I can find nothing attractive about the look that either of them is sporting
biggrin.gif

I agree! They don't look very sophisticated. The skirt length also seems later to me (than 68 / 69). Her hairstyle looks like the mainstream fashion 'feathercut' (think Hazel in Budgie / or actress Carole Hawkins around '71 / '72). Although there are aspects of his clothing that look earlier than that. They also look on the older side, the lad looks more 'bloke' than 'boy'! Still can't remember where the photo came from!

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well this is interesting. I can only talk about the 'demographics' in two small areas.

In Blackpool you simply did not date anyone more than one or two years younger than you; I mainly dated girls of the same age as myself. By the time I got to S E London I was 18. The majority of the girls of the same age as myself were already engaged or married. I found blokes of my age did date much younger girls. Why? Because they were the only unattached females 'available'. In late 1969, when I was 19, my girlfriend was 16, and I wasn't on my own there!

Girls I dated came from various working Backgrounds.Hair Stylists,Audio Typists,Sales Assistants(Up West)etc.Their Ages ranged from 17 to 20.The one who was 17,in`69,did not class herself as Skinhead.By that time we were moving away from the Skinhead Movement.I could not find what I was looking for,in a 16 year old.By early`70 I was engaged myself.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is said that teenage girls are a couple of years in front of boys in most things, As a 13 year old in my class a couple of girls was dating last year boys who would be 15.
But once we left school it was more equal, I did know one girl of 16 going out with a 20 year old, He was looked upon as a old man.
By an large most stayed within their age group, The girls would go for the smart skinhead, who maybe had a Rep, Whats got to be remembered a 15/16 has no fear, everything is more intense, its full on all the time, You only had time for each other everything else had no importance, even ones family are put on the back burner.
A 18/19 year old male would be a Man thinking like a Man, I know the older lads in our mob, would often think twice about their actions, Where we did not care a fcuk, Thats what turned the girls on.
The average age for people getting married around our way was 21, I was 23.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, you had the luck I never had.

Anyhow, this isn't the place for me to go into personal woes.

Been some interesting Posts on the Girls side.We always talk about the Fellas,but the Girls were moving just as quick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads