• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Luxire, would you mind clarifying what you mean by this comment?

If you have taken offense due to your interpretation, please discuss.

Also, please read my comment with reference to the comment on monkeys. Some of the points raised have been already been discussed a few times here.

Have extended invitations here a few times for customers who would want to visit and see things for themselves. It is the best way to find answers.

I find the whole discussion about worker exploitation laughable as in today's regulatory environment, a factory cannot operate without proper work conditions in place. That is certainly true in Bangalore, where we are.

In most factories here, the environment is on par compared to what I have seen in places in Brooklyn, for example. In our studio, it is even better by a huge margin.

But, how many times does one need the same clarification?

But yes, the concern about monkeys has been raised for the first time.

Last edited:

Spurious

Reaction score
The monkey comment was a joke, come on.

The rest of the questions I find a bit too much as well - some have been answered, some are just too intruding.

why do they not take the trip first before ordering, instead of piling their brain-dump on someone else who is taking the effort?

I very much agree with this.

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend stayed at the well respected IIT Madras, where monkeys entered dorms, class rooms and several other parts of daily life.
While I do understand it's more of a question of personal interest, I don't see how it's rude.

Like Mr. K I have been told I am not allowed to order anymore from Luxire and on top of that I would "need treatment".

GradSchooler

Reaction score

I find the whole discussion about worker exploitation laughable as in today's regulatory environment, a factory cannot operate without proper work conditions in place. That is certainly true in Bangalore, where we are.

In most factories here, the environment is on par compared to what I have seen in places in Brooklyn, for example. In our studio, it is even better by a huge margin.

I'm glad to hear your factories are well run and have working conditions at least comparable to those in North America, but the discussion of exploitation is anything but laughable. The exploitation of workers, in the garment industry in particular, is a well researched and documented phenomena which occurs frequently. The 2013 collapse of a garment factory in Bangladesh (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22476774) is just one example of the poor working conditions garment workers are frequently subject to. Some of us in the "intelligentsia" appreciate knowing that our clothes are made by workers making fair wages in decent working conditions, regardless of the price we pay. The implication that our ethical concerns over workers are a facade of liberal guilt we use to rationalize and/or atone for our interest in getting a good deal is, frankly, insulting.

terra firma

Reaction score
I can understand Luxire's response. I've read a few comments on here that were a little... prejudiced. Not explicitly, but it's insinuated.

ErikJN

Reaction score
I can understand Luxire's response. I've read a few comments on here that were a little... prejudiced. Not explicitly, but it's insinuated.

Agreed, over the life of this thread I've at times had the feeling that certain commentators (not attacking anyone who've participated in this most recent debate) assume that manufacturing outside the US or Western Europe is synonymous with labor exploitation and dreadful working conditions. As a Norwegian business student in India, having visited the facilities of companies within a range of industries, my experiences completely discredit this assumption.

This questioning of Luxire's repeated assurances that their ethics are at par with any western company should have stopped long ago, but hopefully my photos and write-up will bury it once and for all.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed, over the life of this thread I've at times had the feeling that certain commentators (not attacking anyone who've participated in this most recent debate) assume that manufacturing outside the US or Western Europe is synonymous with labor exploitation and dreadful working conditions. As a Norwegian business student in India, having visited the facilities of companies within a range of industries, my experiences completely discredit this assumption.

This questioning of Luxire's repeated assurances that their ethics are at par with any western company should have stopped long ago, but hopefully my photos and write-up will bury it once and for all.

Moreover, Luxire has written a detailed reply in this thread a while back, so there's no need for this matter to be brought up time and time again.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one should not forget English is not the mother tongue for all of us.
In my opinion most posts that come off rude at the first glance can be recognised and understood for a different cultural upbringing and a lack of better words at closer examination.

Having placed approximately 10 orders with Luxire, admittedly smaller ones, and especially from early 2013 on, when Luxire was relatively new to SF, I don't understand how I could come of as a hater.
I have changed my mind on orders too much in the past and understand it has caused additional work for Luxire.
On some garments I received, especially an early polo shirt, measurements were off.
Luxire and I have deliberated those topics and nothing of that kind has happened with the latest order.
I was confident everything was back on track and now all this happens for a question out of honest personal interest.

Luxire devalues their own work thinking people would order from them only for the reason of a competative price.
At least it's not true for me.
I did order for the reason of customisation and because I believed in Luxire's self-conception to offer a shirt that was tough to beat in attention to detail and construction.
As I have learned about several aspects I did not known before, I think they succeeded.
It's a shame they don't want any more business from my side, because I have no idea where to get a shirt quite like theirs.
I hope others don't get into the same arguments I did when asking honest questions and that Luxire doesn't take things personal when they weren't meant insulting in the first place.

Some info on the monkeys in the spoiler

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear your factories are well run and have working conditions at least comparable to those in North America, but the discussion of exploitation is anything but laughable. The exploitation of workers, in the garment industry in particular, is a well researched and documented phenomena which occurs frequently. The 2013 collapse of a garment factory in Bangladesh (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22476774) is just one example of the poor working conditions garment workers are frequently subject to. Some of us in the "intelligentsia" appreciate knowing that our clothes are made by workers making fair wages in decent working conditions, regardless of the price we pay. The implication that our ethical concerns over workers are a facade of liberal guilt we use to rationalize and/or atone for our interest in getting a good deal is, frankly, insulting.

GS, you will read a lot of things in a lot of places. What brands were being manufactured in the factory that collapsed? JCPenney, Benetton, Zara among others. It is we who exploit these workers, looking for the cheapest option for our clothes. Our corporations, our constant push for better share performance every quarter. Did we stop buying these brands? No.

Is it not so much easier to go hammer and tongs over a small business with some fake concern over some imaginary exploitation every few weeks while cheer leading the wonderful designs of the real exploiters?

1. What you mentioned was about Bangladesh, which is not India. I did not even say India, I said BANGALORE. I work here, my workers work here and we have seen many facilities in the city to know how we work.
2. If one cannot take the word on any manufacturer about work conditions, I think one is being dishonest to oneself in buying from those manufacturers, be it Banana Republic, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, NEXT or Walmart, without personally visiting every facility in the world and personally verifying every process. Am sure such people do not use any electronics or smartphones. I wonder where and how their computers are made, that they so gladly use for gloating over global exploitation.
3. Concerns online can only be addressed by words. We have used them a few times. How many times does one do it? Add it to my signature?
4. Talking of ethics, is it ethical to attack an organization time and again about some issue that has been discussed and closed a few times?

Think it over guys. We can defend ourselves everytime someone wakes up, but, it ain't a lot of fun.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxire, it would have already spared you plenty of trouble if your website had a section about the factory, workforce policies and some photos of the premises. This way we faceless and nameless of the Internet could have a look instead of heckling and arguing in this thread or others. A great website is the first serious step in life.

Spurious

Reaction score

3. Concerns online can only be addressed by words. We have used them a few times. How many times does one do it? Add it to my signature?

Honestly, I would do just that and I just had a look through your website, maybe I missed it, but I couldnt find the statement you made in this thread a couple of times.
I think it would help tremendously and whenever someone asks, just refer him to the link.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxire, it would have already spared you plenty of trouble if your website had a section about the factory, workforce policies and some photos of the premises. This way we faceless and nameless of the Internet could have a look instead of heckling and arguing in this thread or others. A great website is the first serious step in life.

Honestly, I would do just that and I just had a look through your website, maybe I missed it, but I couldnt find the statement you made in this thread a couple of times.
I think it would help tremendously and whenever someone asks, just refer him to the link.

I don't want to get into an argument, but I believe this is exactly what Luxire is saying: by requiring this from Luxire you're asking more from Luxire than almost every other brand. You are basically measuring Luxire by higher standards than others. Which is good, but it's also a bit dishonest, which Luxire is trying to tell you. Are you/we asking for the same type of section on the websites of Zara, Tommy Hilfiger, Nike, Zegna, Apple etc? The answer it no. Then why should we demand it from Luxire? Again, not taking side here, just trying to explain how and why these demands can be regarded as attacks on Luxire.

Putting a section on the website that discusses workforce policies and attaching photos of the premises could be interpreted as if Luxire is feeling guilty over their workers' work conditions. And with all the prejudices around every corner, I understand why Luxire abstains from doing so.

Last edited:

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't want to get into an argument, but I believe this is exactly what Luxire is saying: by requiring this from Luxire you're asking more from Luxire than almost every other brand. You are basically measuring Luxire by higher standards than others. Which is good, but it's also a bit dishonest, which Luxire is trying to tell you. Are you/we asking for the same type of section on the websites of Zara, Tommy Hilfiger, Nike, Zegna, Apple etc? The answer it no. Then why should we demand it from Luxire? Again, not taking side here, just trying to explain how and why these demands can be regarded as attacks on Luxire.

Putting a section on the website that discusses workforce policies and attaching photos of the premises could be interpreted as if Luxire is feeling guilty over their workers' work conditions. And with all the prejudices around every corner, I understand why Luxire abstains from doing so.

Also, why and how will the reader believe those posts or messages, when they feel the need to raise the same queries again?

What do we put there? A certificate from an agency that our workers are treated well? The same certificates that adorn the walls of JCPenney and Zara offices?

But, I will be glad to link on the site the details that our dear customers will post in different places after they visit us.

Today, an unhappy worker need not stay in the factory for even an hour. He/she is just a phonecall away from their next job where they can start the very next day. Bangalore employes more than a million people in the garment industry.
Our team is among the cream of tailors in Bangalore. They are much sought after. But, our attrition rate is close to zero. There is a reason.

Our thought is simple. If we want to make some of the best items in the world, we cannot do it in a sub-standard work environment. We cannot push our team to deliver if we do not deliver on their basic expectations. Once people understand this, the issue will be put to rest.

Iipe

Reaction score

I don't want to get into an argument either, but all customers ordering from Luxire are already expecting higher standards than they are from many other brands like the ones referred. And Luxire is already meeting those standards when it comes to customization and quality of construction. Why not request the same high standard when it comes to this issue?

The exact wording when posting content like that to a website is very important. You can easily turn the viewpoint from defensive to something like "we are proud of the way we treat our workers".

It is extra work to do that and a new website would be first on my TODO list.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ there is some truth to that, but I don't see anyone else asking these types of questions from any other retailer or manufacturer in other SF threads. Most people here expect a lot out of brands they buy from retailers and manufacturers on this site, but if you check out other affiliate threads, nobody is ever asking Epaulet or NMWA or Kent Wang to prove that the workers who make their clothes have good working conditions. Why do people here keep harping on this when Luxire has explained their side of the story time and time again? The only difference is that Luxire makes their clothes in India, so many people assume that the conditions will not be as good as other garments made in the US, Italy, or wherever.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads