• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Liber

Reaction score
@luxire , any plans to add tropical/summer weight wool trousers in a light grey? Would sell like hot cakes!

p.henrik

Reaction score

topos

Reaction score
Thinking of having a safari jacket made similar to this:

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2014/08/bespoke-safari-jacket-part-1.html#.U_HjcMtwbqA

How much do you add to measurements compared to a normal shirt @lukejackson or @Nicolai or anyone else that has experience?

Also, @luxire , do you have any heavy linen fabric in that color? The only green heavy linen I see on your website is the 9-10oz dark olive.

Thanks!
While this isn't an answer to your question, I will say that I had very good success having a Harrington jacket made by Luxire based off of shirt measurements (they had made about three shirts for me at that point). I only described how I wanted it to fit and the length in the back. It came back about perfect. Seems like a shirt-jacket would be even easier, depending on how similar to an actual shirt you'd want it to fit. I am very glad they had shirt measurements of mine to do this. I don't think I'd have done it otherwise.

eprex

Reaction score
Been waiting for a month for ~6 shirts. Not completely pissed yet, but it's frustrating not even knowing if theyre done or not. Now I just hope they fit well the first shot, because I really need these

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been waiting for a month for ~6 shirts. Not completely pissed yet, but it's frustrating not even knowing if theyre done or not. Now I just hope they fit well the first shot, because I really need these

Dude, relax. A month for 6 MTM shirts with a completely bespoke pattern is the minimum when ordering the first time. Don't order online MTM when you need something fast.

I wouldn't suggest ordering 6 shirts either, because it's very high risk. If they don't fit you'll have 6 shirts you can't wear. Order one shirt, wear it for a couple of weeks, order the next shirt with some adjustments and repeat this till you have the perfect shirt. That's when you should order 6 shirts.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
guess you didn't read earlier in the thread.... wait times used to fluctuate much more than this. especially with first time orders.

if you need something immediately, go with RTW.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ok, I'm finally going to get off the fence and place my first order for a shirt - a casual, light and airy thing that even if it doesn't come out perfect, will still be useable.

I've got my measurements down and know the details that I want but I'm stuck between some fabrics because of terminology. - the first 3 are comparable all using gms/oz but how does the 2/160s in the fourth compare and the last one @ 87gms/3oz is comparable to the first 3, but what does the 170*2 mean?

1. Cream Linen Cotton 50/50 cotton/linen 134gms/4-5oz
  2. Soft Cream Cool Linen Cotton 60/40 linen/cotton 129gms/4-5oz
  3. Pale Blue Linen Cotton 60/40 linen/cotton 129 gms/4-5 Oz
  4. Grey Chambray Summer 2/160s
  5. this is just for comparison's sake: Grandi & Rubinelli Blue Chambray 170/2*170*2, 78*40,87 gms/3 Oz

Also, if anyone has any input on those fabrics, I'd be interested! Pics too :)

Follow up on my post after some research, here's hoping this helps someone else out in the future...

• for #1-#3: gms/oz (grams and ounces) are fabric weight measurements. They are convertible with the right formula - so when Luxire has 134gms/4-5oz they're saying that the material is 134-grams or 4-5 ounces. Essentially, Luxire has done the conversion for you. I found these resources helpful:
  • for #4: I think that the 2/160s really means a 160 thread count in a 2ply format. I suspect a typo in that it should have been written 160/2 but could be wrong. This doesn't have anything to do with weight, so I'll need to ask Luxire what that is to compare to the other fabric's gms/oz
  • for #5: On the Grandi I am partially stumped. Granted, this is a high end cloth, so there's probably some additional meaning in those numbers. I suspect that 170/2*170*2 is a typo for 170/2*170/2 meaning a 170 thread count in 2ply - but what the * means I don't know. I also don't know what the 78*40 means. The 87gms/3oz means it's lighter than any of the other gms/oz fabrics I listed.

If anyone has any corrections/input, please feel free to add!

A tip for Luxire: you've probably already heard it elsewhere, but all this info would be most helpful if you had it for each and every fabric and consistent - gms/ozs, thread counts, etc. Only having it inconsistently makes things more confusing not less. And, yes, I sympathize with having to get it all online and correct, I'm sure it's not easy.

Last edited:

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If the shirt, is TOO small (not just neck but body too), we do scale the collar down.

We were doing it for bigger shirts earlier but stopped the practice.

The problem is that dimensions are mentioned on the website for some collars. If we change that without customer consent, the customer can and often does complain. Writing to customer (Hey you are a big man, do you want bigger collars?) is not always a good idea either.

So, if you know what you want, best to ask for it. We will make it for you accordingly.

ammanati

Reaction score

eprex

Reaction score
guess you didn't read earlier in the thread.... wait times used to fluctuate much more than this. especially with first time orders.

if you need something immediately, go with RTW.

I've read some of the earlier thread, decent guess though! They stated before my order that wait time was 2-3 weeks. So that is what I expected, not "well it used to take longer, so"

RTW don't fit me :(

Last edited:

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Follow up on my post after some research, here's hoping this helps someone else out in the future...
  • for #1-#3: gms/oz (grams and ounces) are fabric weight measurements. They are convertible with the right formula - so when Luxire has 134gms/4-5oz they're saying that the material is 134-grams or 4-5 ounces. Essentially, Luxire has done the conversion for you. I found these resources helpful:
  • for #4: I think that the 2/160s really means a 160 thread count in a 2ply format. I suspect a typo in that it should have been written 160/2 but could be wrong. This doesn't have anything to do with weight, so I'll need to ask Luxire what that is to compare to the other fabric's gms/oz
  • for #5: On the Grandi I am partially stumped. Granted, this is a high end cloth, so there's probably some additional meaning in those numbers. I suspect that 170/2*170*2 is a typo for 170/2*170/2 meaning a 170 thread count in 2ply - but what the * means I don't know. I also don't know what the 78*40 means. The 87gms/3oz means it's lighter than any of the other gms/oz fabrics I listed.

If anyone has any corrections/input, please feel free to add!

A tip for Luxire: you've probably already heard it elsewhere, but all this info would be most helpful if you had it for each and every fabric and consistent - gms/ozs, thread counts, etc. Only having it inconsistently makes things more confusing not less. And, yes, I sympathize with having to get it all online and correct, I'm sure it's not easy.

Excellent work Razl.

160/2 and 2/160 are often used interchangeably by different mills. It would be best for us to maintain consistency though.

For Grandi, they mention the warp and weft thread count, which we pass on too. The numbers 78*40 mean the number of threads used per inch for the warp and the weft.

The thread count(160/2) and construction(78*40) can give a good idea of the weight on the cloth.

Thank you for the tip. Cannot agree more. We do lack a lot of information and consistency. Our website will get there over time. The more we delay, the more difficult it gets. Will happen though.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For those keeping track, order placed 8/10, shipped 8/18. Duplicating previous order with different fabric.

This is perfectly acceptable turnaround time, IMO.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Excellent work Razl. 160/2 and 2/160 are often used interchangeably by different mills. It would be best for us to maintain consistency though. For Grandi, they mention the warp and weft thread count, which we pass on too. The numbers 78*40 mean the number of threads used per inch for the warp and the weft. The thread count(160/2) and construction(78*40) can give a good idea of the weight on the cloth.
Good info, thanks for taking the time to educate!
Thank you for the tip. Cannot agree more. We do lack a lot of information and consistency. Our website will get there over time. The more we delay, the more difficult it gets. Will happen though.
Cool, I only meant it as constructive criticism; glad to see it came through that way :fistbump:

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those keeping track, order placed 8/10, shipped 8/18. Duplicating previous order with different fabric.

I'm at 3 weeks since order and haven't gotten a ship notice yet, but I made changes to my pattern. Plus, it's only 3 weeks. Jealous of the 1 week turnarounds, though

eprex

Reaction score

9 days? Yeah I'd say that's a terrific turnaround time. 4+ weeks kind of suck, but we'll see how the product comes out

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads