• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dlm4114

Reaction score

Thanks! Sure, I will try to get a side shot posted within a few days. From what I can tell, the balance is good on my jacket; hopefully a picture doesn't show otherwise. :laugh:

Suit looks great -- do you mind my asking your height/weight (approx)? I am on the fence about going 44 or 46. Thanks!

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suit looks great -- do you mind my asking your height/weight (approx)? I am on the fence about going 44 or 46. Thanks!

Thanks. I'm about 5'10", 190 lbs. My jacket is a 44 with only very minor adjustments relative to the trial jacket.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One note about my suit trousers that I'd been meaning to post about here, and I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience:

My natural waist measures about 35 inches. I ordered the size 36 trial trousers and as I anticipated, they were too loose in the waist, but a bit too tight everywhere else. On my MTM trousers, I specified the following diameter adjustments with Kent's affirmation:

Waist -1.5 cm
Rise +0.5 cm
Seat +0.5 cm
Thighs +0.5 cm
Knees +0.5 cm
Leg opening +0.5 cm

Seemingly small adjustments, right? Well, even though the trial trousers were tight in the leg, my MTM trousers ended up being significantly baggier, and needed to be slimmed by my tailor. Even after the tailor took out over a half inch in the thighs, they are still much roomier than the trial trousers. I am mostly pleased with how they turned out after some tailoring, but still a bit disappointed and baffled that they weren't a better fit right off the bat. I mentioned this discrepancy to Kent in an email, but he didn't really have much to say about it. Since I ordered pleated trousers but the trial pair was flat front, I have a theory that the suit maker's pattern/measurements for pleated trousers is different than Kent's flat front trousers.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Anyone else opted for pleats over flat front? I might try single pleat on my next pair.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I did seem to have a similar experience with my suit trousers. The trial pair was way too tight in the thigh and seat, so I made some very small adjustments (1cm or so here and there). My final product did seem to fit even looser than I anticipated. It wasn't really a huge deal, but I'll try and make some further adjustments for my next suit. Hopefully they don't make up too slim.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One note about my suit trousers that I'd been meaning to post about here, and I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience:

My natural waist measures about 35 inches. I ordered the size 36 trial trousers and as I anticipated, they were too loose in the waist, but a bit too tight everywhere else. On my MTM trousers, I specified the following diameter adjustments with Kent's affirmation:

Waist -1.5 cm
Rise +0.5 cm
Seat +0.5 cm
Thighs +0.5 cm
Knees +0.5 cm
Leg opening +0.5 cm

Seemingly small adjustments, right? Well, even though the trial trousers were tight in the leg, my MTM trousers ended up being significantly baggier, and needed to be slimmed by my tailor. Even after the tailor took out over a half inch in the thighs, they are still much roomier than the trial trousers. I am mostly pleased with how they turned out after some tailoring, but still a bit disappointed and baffled that they weren't a better fit right off the bat. I mentioned this discrepancy to Kent in an email, but he didn't really have much to say about it. Since I ordered pleated trousers but the trial pair was flat front, I have a theory that the suit maker's pattern/measurements for pleated trousers is different than Kent's flat front trousers.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Anyone else opted for pleats over flat front? I might try single pleat on my next pair.

Way too funny. I got a 44 jacket and 36 pants and our alterations sound almost identical. No pleats, though.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ I did seem to have a similar experience with my suit trousers. The trial pair was way too tight in the thigh and seat, so I made some very small adjustments (1cm or so here and there). My final product did seem to fit even looser than I anticipated. It wasn't really a huge deal, but I'll try and make some further adjustments for my next suit. Hopefully they don't make up too slim.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I think for my next trousers, I'll try only adjusting the waist, thigh, and rise measurements, and leave everything else at trial specs. If they end up being too slim down the leg, I'll have my tailor let them out a bit.

Way too funny.  I got a 44 jacket and 36 pants and our alterations sound almost identical.  No pleats, though.

Right on. :slayer:

Were you happy with the trouser adjustments?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I think for my next trousers, I'll try only adjusting the waist, thigh, and rise measurements, and leave everything else at trial specs. If they end up being too slim down the leg, I'll have my tailor let them out a bit.
Right on.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Were you happy with the trouser adjustments?

Yes, very happy with the final pants, but I'm also someone who does not like pants that are too slim. I'm pretty conservative business dress with my suits.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Waist -1.5 cm
Rise +0.5 cm
Seat +0.5 cm
Thighs +0.5 cm
Knees +0.5 cm
Leg opening +0.5 cm

I opted for pleats on my first suit order and Kent's suggested adjustments worked out well. I usually find many trousers to be a bit snug in the thigh when everything else fits and I didn't have that problem on my order with Kent. I also needed to let out the waist and seat a bit but I didn't ask for any change in the thighs because the try-on was fine in that area.

Last edited:

kmitch101

Reaction score

Waist -1.5 cm
Rise +0.5 cm
Seat +0.5 cm
Thighs +0.5 cm
Knees +0.5 cm
Leg opening +0.5 cm

My experience was similar. While my measurements were increased a little more than yours, the trial pants were skin tight in the upper block. The MTM version had more fabric than I expected under the butt in the back thigh area. My guess is the combo of +seat, +thigh and +rise increase the roominess around that area. They are certainly wearable and I haven't had them altered yet. I'm on the fence about whether I really need to get it done. Overall still satisfied with the experience, but I'll make some slight adjustments on my next suit.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you happen to compare the measurements of the final product to the measurements of the trial pants to see if your tweaks happened as they should, or if they wound up different?

On my second suit we were going to add 2cm to the waist of the jacket (compared to suit #1), but it wound up more like 4.5. Probably just the maker adjusting in the wrong way. could be what happened to the pants.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some quick help Kent Wang Crew.

My sport coats are at the tailors for some waist suppression. Can you let me know where the seams are on double vents? I know so far..

There's one in the center back (not to be touched) and one on each side running up from the vents. Are there any more or is that it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MaxK

Reaction score
In the Spring 2013 look-book on Flickr I saw a 4x2 double breasted suit. Is that an option now, or are DBs still 6x2 only?

I'm considering getting my Kent Wang suit fit figured out and would love do a blue glen plaid 4x2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads