Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Thanks! I did half lined, soft shoulders. If I were to redo it, I would so unstructured. But that doesn't take anything away from the jacket, its just that it'd be easier to wear here in the 110f+ heat.

2. Xtra

Xtra Senior member

Yep, I know it's what I probably should do, but it's a bit work to return stuff without incurring taxes (based in Norway).

3. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I'm a bit lower than you with a weight of approx. 86kg, and I'm thinking about buying the M. People here have said that they aren't so much slimmer than RL Customs.

4. nelsypants

nelsypants Active Member

Not too sure about your exact build, but I'm 167cm and 65kg, and KW polos in medium are pretty darn snug on me!

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Jester, the linen jacket you posted looks really sharp. As for the new one, is it me or is the second button too high for a 3 roll 2 configuration? Especially with the wide lapels combination.

I've been considering trying the 3 roll 2 with a standard lapel (maybe wide, maybe) on my next order. I also noticed that the button point on the suit I posted above is a little bit above where it should be based on my torso. I will likely talk to Kent about moving it down on future orders and see what he thinks.

6. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

39-40" chest, 31" waist. Maybe I haven't thought this through. :embar:

7. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

That's why I said its more of a 3r2.5, its a pretty high lapel. I probably will go 2button standard width from now on just because of that. Both of these are 3r2. I messed with the lapels on the linen jacket to make it more of a 3r2 than 3r2.5.

8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Or re-reading, you mean the actual button. Should buttons be lower for 3r2 than standard 2's? If so I never read that.

ETA:

There's been a few people messaging me and asking me here about fabric details.. Here's a closeup of the linen suit and the new one I got this weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :slayer:

Didn't know it'd be such a hit. I have to go back and thank my girlfriend again for picking it.

Also, the waist suppression on the jacket is actually not as bad as it seems in the photos now. Not sure if it was the folds from shipping or what. I'll work with Kent on it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

9. emb1980

emb1980 Member

Still waiting to hear back from Kent (who I know is very busy). In the meanwhile, I decided to put Photoshop to use to imagine some changes to the OTR garment. I took a shot with a ruler to estimate length changes fairly accurately. I've lengthened the coat 4cm, dropped the button stance 2cm, and lengthened the arms about 1cm. I've also softened the shoulders a bit to estimate the "soft shoulder" option. Any thoughts on the proportionality?

[​IMG]

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Not lower as a general rule, but in this specific instance. I'm not sure the 3 roll 2 works where the second button is so high.

11. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Emb, that looks pretty good. But I might try extending the length by 2.5 rather than 4 and lowering the button stance by 2.5 rather than 2. I would be curious to see that photoshopped. As for the shoulders, I agree you shoulders are strong and square naturally so the soft is a good option. In the photoshop, are you taking any width off (maybe .5 cm)? Also, make sure to show kent a view of the back of the coat, as he is very good about suggesting ways to clean any rolls up.

12. emb1980

emb1980 Member

Yeah, I have the whole run of pics on the previous page... this is the only one I felt like shopping though.

I haven't touched the width on any of them, although I did attempt to move the narrowest part of the jacket down some to correspond to button stance.

Here are the edits you suggested:

[​IMG]

13. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

I purchased Flyswatter's old suit.

I thought people might be interested in a comparison of the shoulders on a 44r.

His old suit (which I am wearing on the left) has regular shoulders. The new suit (on the right) has soft shoulders.
    [​IMG]

Personally, I prefer the soft, but I think the regular shoulders are well done, too. They don't look too big and boxy.

As an aside, do you folks think I should size down for the next suit? I'm on the left above. This is a 44r. Almost all my jackets have a 19" shoulder, which KW's 44r has, but this entire jacket is still pretty big through the body, even after my tailor took it in. I have a low right shoulder, so anything not custom always has wrinkles under my right arm. Usually I don't have wrinkles under my left, however.

14. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

I take back what I said. The smaller jacket looks like a decent fit in the shoulders. Definitely a bit tight in the chest though, which you already mentioned yourself. I'm sure Kent will make some suggestions to clean up the slight wrinkling on the back. You should have nice results on your MTM suit.
    Both look pretty good!
    Interesting comparison, thanks for posting that! Your suit looks great. How did the trousers turn out after tailoring? As for sizing down on your next suit, I don't think that's necessary. I'm sure you could get the results you're looking for by reducing some of the measurements. Still, might not hurt to order the 42 trial jacket for the sake of comparison.

15. Moloch38

Moloch38 Senior member

Pretty pissed to have my white KW polo stolen at the hotel pool at a wedding this weekend. One a better note, my new KW balmorals functioned flawlessly on the dance floor after a good spit shine.