• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright, going through the ordeal of finding the right size in the 180 loafer. I usually wear a 7.5 - 8D in US size. The Weston website said I should be a 5.5E in the 180 based on my measurements. Due to availability and disbelief, I ordered a pair in 6D. They were way too tight around the instep, but no problem in terms of width. Sent them back. Now waiting for new pairs in 6.5D and 7D to try.

What the heck is going on with their sizing?

kylepw

Reaction score
Alright, going through the ordeal of finding the right size in the 180 loafer. I usually wear a 7.5 - 8D in US size. The Weston website said I should be a 5.5E in the 180 based on my measurements. Due to availability and disbelief, I ordered a pair in 6D. They were way too tight around the instep, but no problem in terms of width. Sent them back. Now waiting for new pairs in 6.5D and 7D to try.

It's a *****. But once you find your size, you're golden. General advice with 180s is to size down 1.5 from US size. I'm US 8D in 99.9% of my shoes and my 6.5D 180s fit like a glove.

tuna roll

Reaction score

I'm a size 8 or 8.5 in Alden loafers but a size 7 in the 180's. Side by side they look about the same size. I believe JM Weston uses their own sizing system? I recall the sales clerk saying something in this sense to me.

Denar78

Reaction score
All my life I disliked the half hunt derby but since a couple of weeks, I absolutely have to have a pair. I tried them on at their retail store in Lyon and these shoes are absolutely stunning 😬😬

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    684.4 KB · Views: 300

Denar78

Reaction score

It’s very dependent on the model (and on your foot shape) and it‘s really a gamble to buy something from them without trying them on.
My fits are:
- the 300 Oxford, the double monk (derby double boucle), in 7.5D UK
- the Jodhpurs boot in 7.5E UK
- the 180 loafer in 7C UK.

last Tuesday I tried on the half hunt derby at the store and the best fit was 7D UK.

not easy aie

Louis_HK

Reaction score

I think my situation is similar to yours. I am a UK 7 US 7.5-8. With high instep.
6D is my usual size for 180 since E width is not readily available from a lot of retailer.
Initially you might need to stretch the shoes a little with the help of a shoe tree covered
in thick socks. That will help a little before breaking them in. After a few wears with very
thin socks, they should be OK .

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, so I now have the 6.5D and 7D 180 loafer in hand (Weston sizes).

The 6.5D has only very slight looseness in the heel, but really nothing to complain about there—there is a tiny but of movement but no slippage when I walk. However, the instep is tight. It doesn’t hurt per se, but it is snug enough I am constantly aware of the tension.

The 7D is loose enough in the heel that there is noticeable slippage when I walk. It’s at the cusp of what I’d think acceptable. But the instep feels better—though still noticeably tight.

The 6.5D looks better on my feet—more compact, little to no visible space anywhere between my foot and the shoe.

But I worry the instep tightness will never get better. If it doesn’t, I can see these becoming super uncomfortable over the course of a day. Should I expect the shoe to stretch enough for this issue to alleviate?

Would switching to 6.5E be the right course? Problem there is I fear the shoe will get too loose everywhere else—and look dumber.

kylepw

Reaction score

The 6.5D has only very slight looseness in the heel, but really nothing to complain about there—there is a tiny but of movement but no slippage when I walk. However, the instep is tight. It doesn’t hurt per se, but it is snug enough I am constantly aware of the tension.

The 7D is loose enough in the heel that there is noticeable slippage when I walk. It’s at the cusp of what I’d think acceptable. But the instep feels better—though still noticeably tight.

The 6.5D looks better on my feet—more compact, little to no visible space anywhere between my foot and the shoe.

But I worry the instep tightness will never get better. If it doesn’t, I can see these becoming super uncomfortable over the course of a day. Should I expect the shoe to stretch enough for this issue to alleviate?

Would switching to 6.5E be the right course? Problem there is I fear the shoe will get too loose everywhere else—and look dumber.
If it literally hurts on sides of your feet and your toes are squished to the point of overlapping unnaturally, I’d consider 6.5E. If it’s just snug at the instep, that’s good. A loose instep causes heel slippage. You want that part snug. The shoe will stretch a little but not to the point that any literal front area pain would go away.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it literally hurts on sides of your feet and your toes are squished to the point of overlapping unnaturally, I’d consider 6.5E. If it’s just snug at the instep, that’s good. A loose instep causes heel slippage. You want that part snug. The shoe will stretch a little but not to the point that any literal front area pain would go away.

Very helpful! No, the 6.5D does not hurt the sides of my feet or pinch my toes at all. The only tight area is the instep.

The tightness around the instep is on the far end of the snugness spectrum (i.e., noticeably snug) but also several degrees away from feeling painful.

I’ve been wearing the 6.5D around my apartment the last couple of hours. The instep snugness has dulled a bit…

kylepw

Reaction score
Very helpful! No, the 6.5D does not hurt the sides of my feet or pinch my toes at all. The only tight area is the instep.

The tightness around the instep is on the far end of the snugness spectrum (i.e., noticeably snug) but also several degrees away from feeling painful.

I’ve been wearing the 6.5D around my apartment the last couple of hours. The instep snugness has dulled a bit…
180 was definitely snugger than my Alden’s or other loafers. It felt strange at first, especially the thicker soles, but after walking around a bit, felt great. If your big toe is a little cramped at the top, the leather will give a little. Making sure toe nail is clipped and wearing thinner socks may also change the feel. It sounds to me like 6.5D is the way to go for you.

bullethead

Reaction score

I wear a weston in 13. Due to my size, I don’t have all the sizing options available. One thing I may offer on heel slippage. I do see some of this out of the box though once the sole ‘breaks’ it disappears

Denar78

Reaction score
Here’s a good exemple of why JM Weston is so underrated… I mean, WTF were they thinking, seriously…

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 373

tuna roll

Reaction score
Fellow US-residents and Weston enthusiasts, where are you getting your shoes from?

I’m in NY - any retailer where I could try different sizes in person? Is Nordstrom UES still carrying them?

If not, what’s the best online source? I’m thinking Nordstrom as I can return it to a store (I always find this easier that shipping it back). Or Mr Porter.

Now to the sizing quest…

I have a pair of 180‘s size 7D that fit great overall, appart from annoying lateral pressure right at the big toe’s joint (hallux valgus area). They are not fully broken in, only worn like 3 times. It’s not too painful and doesn’t cause blisters or anything, but it’s a discomfort that I’m always aware of.

Elsewhere they feel quite comfortable, with just the right amount of room to move. There is some heel slipping, but just the expected amount for new loafers. Proper length and comfortable toe box, allowing free toe movement. It feels like the shoes are being held at the vamp and the foot ball, with room to move elsewhere.

I’ll try stuffing them with shoe trees in thick socks, or just walking around the house wearing thick socks. I’m not super confident this stretching will suffice, it really feels like my joints want more lateral space inside the shoes (more width).

I’d like to try a 7E. For reference, Alden LHS in 8E has the perfect width at the ball for me (yet the toe box feels small). Thought?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcoPolos