• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Mulamoes

Reaction score
Does anyone know much about JMM's Japan exclusive releases? Or any other high end glasses brands that are made in Japan / exclusive to Japan?

Later this month I'll be in Tokyo for about a day and mostly plan on shopping. If the JMM exclusives or other brands are worth looking into then I might stop by an optical shop as well.
I believe they hade the Zephirin in special sizes or colours for the Japanese market. If you're not from the US, Chrome Heart is cheap considering the weak yen + tax free shopping.

zamonster

Reaction score
Hello guys, does anyone know how much adjusting jmm temples can take? Due to the shape of my head i need wide glasses, where i can bend the temple ends down to like 60-90 degrees if possible

For reference: Dealan 53 fit really well visually but are currently quite uncomfortable just above the ear + too long

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they hade the Zephirin in special sizes or colours for the Japanese market. If you're not from the US, Chrome Heart is cheap considering the weak yen + tax free shopping.
I thought you had to pay import duties on sunglasses because they are considered medical devices or something. Is that not right?

Pakman161

Reaction score
Hello guys, does anyone know how much adjusting jmm temples can take? Due to the shape of my head i need wide glasses, where i can bend the temple ends down to like 60-90 degrees if possible

For reference: Dealan 53 fit really well visually but are currently quite uncomfortable just above the ear + too long
If you go through this thread, others have said the heaviness of the frame does not make them ideal to wear for a long day. That being said, some frames seem to also be exceptions. The best thing to do is to take them to an optician who has experience handling JMM's. You have to have a dialogue with them and explain where it hurts. They can make adjustments so that you can wear them for a prolonged amount of time.

If you intend to do them yourself, I advise a few things:

1.) Never heat the area where the temple hinge is imbedded into the frame. JMM's are not riveted to the frame and that is a going to cause the area to loosen up permanently. Anywhere you see no functional rivets, I would avoid heating.
2.) Do not heat the frame in the nose bridge area with your lenses in them. Some do this to get the frame to have more or less wrap on the nose. The heat will cause the lens to delaminate over time/damage the lens coatings,
3.) Slow and steady work with a hair dryer to get them to be where you want them to be. The thickness and density of this acetate makes it especially hard to work with when you don't apply the appropriate amount of heat from a hair dryer.

Attached is a youtube link by spectacle factory explaining how an adjustment to the frame impacts the way it will sit on your face.

zamonster

Reaction score
If you go through this thread, others have said the heaviness of the frame does not make them ideal to wear for a long day. That being said, some frames seem to also be exceptions. The best thing to do is to take them to an optician who has experience handling JMM's. You have to have a dialogue with them and explain where it hurts. They can make adjustments so that you can wear them for a prolonged amount of time.

If you intend to do them yourself, I advise a few things:

1.) Never heat the area where the temple hinge is imbedded into the frame. JMM's are not riveted to the frame and that is a going to cause the area to loosen up permanently. Anywhere you see no functional rivets, I would avoid heating.
2.) Do not heat the frame in the nose bridge area with your lenses in them. Some do this to get the frame to have more or less wrap on the nose. The heat will cause the lens to delaminate over time/damage the lens coatings,
3.) Slow and steady work with a hair dryer to get them to be where you want them to be. The thickness and density of this acetate makes it especially hard to work with when you don't apply the appropriate amount of heat from a hair dryer.

Attached is a youtube link by spectacle factory explaining how an adjustment to the frame impacts the way it will sit on your face.

Thank you! I already used the video for all my other acetate / metal glasses in the past, great tips. I just wanted to see if someone from this community has a "heavily adjusted" frame!

Gordon_Shumway

Reaction score
There’s a tease of a new frame the Godard, presumably based on Jean-Luc Godard… anyone know any further details? Was this at a trunk show ? Possible release? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? 🧐

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
I thought you had to pay import duties on sunglasses because they are considered medical devices or something. Is that not right?
Not sure this is correct. In my experience, this description has been the absolute key to avoid paying excessive duty. A vendor once gave me this advice so I have always written this as the description on any parcel containing eyewear.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I was in Japan for vacation
Ok that makes sense. I was looking at chrome hearts the other day, and really like some of their frames. Any particular models you recommend me looking into? I was looking for ones that were a tad on a tamer side, as far as detailing is concerned.

Mulamoes

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. I was looking at chrome hearts the other day, and really like some of their frames. Any particular models you recommend me looking into? I was looking for ones that were a tad on a tamer side, as far as detailing is concerned.
It really depends what you're into, I currently have the overpoked and looking at the frameless frames such as DEEP and SOFFFFFFFFERS. Very expensive ):

Pureneat

Reaction score
A little story…

When I first saw pre release pics of the Shibusawa, I was excited as this model seemed to have the perfect dimensions for an allday RX. Rumoured to be coming out In November…. A bit of a cross between Molino and a Jeff. Maybe a bit conservative for some, but I saw then as understated with a slight edge anyway….

november came and so did the Shibus, but when I saw the colours I was only interested in the Hickory and even then was a little underwhelmed, had some personal problems and money woes blah blah blah. i put them in the basket but couldn’t pull the trigger…….
They subsequently sold out …..dammit. (incidentally Why were an RX model being sold in the sunglasses section?). European and US online vendors had also sold out….. ah well wasn’t to be.

But I kept looking and looking only finding them in Japan for high prices, extra import duties, hassles etc.

However, on Friday I spotted that I still had a pair in my JMM basket…….. when I then checked the JMM site there were none showing in the RX line or the sunglasses line,ie. None in the online store. but using the search facility on JMM looking fior Shibusawa and Lo and behold they were showing the Hickory and black were available…..wooo!. So I bought them and after receiving the confirmation emails when I went back in, the Hickory was showing as sold out again……. Which makes me wonder if my basket entry from back in November effectively had reserved one????

all seems very strange and flakey, but what do you think my chances of them being delivered are?

Gordon_Shumway

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_2054.jpeg
    IMG_2054.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 152

Pakman161

Reaction score
A little story…

When I first saw pre release pics of the Shibusawa, I was excited as this model seemed to have the perfect dimensions for an allday RX. Rumoured to be coming out In November…. A bit of a cross between Molino and a Jeff. Maybe a bit conservative for some, but I saw then as understated with a slight edge anyway….

november came and so did the Shibus, but when I saw the colours I was only interested in the Hickory and even then was a little underwhelmed, had some personal problems and money woes blah blah blah. i put them in the basket but couldn’t pull the trigger…….
They subsequently sold out …..dammit. (incidentally Why were an RX model being sold in the sunglasses section?). European and US online vendors had also sold out….. ah well wasn’t to be.

But I kept looking and looking only finding them in Japan for high prices, extra import duties, hassles etc.

However, on Friday I spotted that I still had a pair in my JMM basket…….. when I then checked the JMM site there were none showing in the RX line or the sunglasses line,ie. None in the online store. but using the search facility on JMM looking fior Shibusawa and Lo and behold they were showing the Hickory and black were available…..wooo!. So I bought them and after receiving the confirmation emails when I went back in, the Hickory was showing as sold out again……. Which makes me wonder if my basket entry from back in November effectively had reserved one????

all seems very strange and flakey, but what do you think my chances of them being delivered are?
I'm sure you'll get them if they are now sold out and you got a confirmation email. I too saw them in hickory on the JMM site at one point this past week.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8