• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

obecity

Reaction score
Dealan absolutely will be $1150. I think they have a strategy to get close to chrome hearts prices but don’t want to do it all at once so are making incremental price bumps extremely frequently (nearly every release at this point comes with a $40 price bump). I think all frames will be $1300 within a years
Chrome hearts at least has silver and metal work to somewhat justify their absurd prices. JJ (Jack the Jerk) is just acetate.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dealan absolutely will be $1150. I think they have a strategy to get close to chrome hearts prices but don’t want to do it all at once so are making incremental price bumps extremely frequently (nearly every release at this point comes with a $40 price bump). I think all frames will be $1300 within a years
Yeah I hope my itch is well and truly scratched and I have all possible bases covered long before they creep up that high.

I remember first hearing about JMMs and telling my mate. He wears cheapies and was admiring a pair of Vuarnets I had but gasped when I told him they were $300. I was telling him I’d seen this new brand of really tasty shades but they were $600. He looked at me like I was mental and I said there’s no way I would pay that for a pair of shades but they really are cool!

Couldn’t count how many I’ve bought, sold and kept since then but definitely plan on slowing down soon. Especially since they are now hovering around $850 which seems to be way outpacing inflation!

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Yeah I hope my itch is well and truly scratched and I have all possible bases covered long before they creep up that high.

I remember first hearing about JMMs and telling my mate. He wears cheapies and was admiring a pair of Vuarnets I had but gasped when I told him they were $300. I was telling him I’d seen this new brand of really tasty shades but they were $600. He looked at me like I was mental and I said there’s no way I would pay that for a pair of shades but they really are cool!

Couldn’t count how many I’ve bought, sold and kept since then but definitely plan on slowing down soon. Especially since they are now hovering around $850 which seems to be way outpacing inflation!
Yeah, I think their pricing strategy has less to do with inflation and more to do with aligning to chrome hearts. Though I do think this strategy is going to require sustained enthusiasm from their fans which they seem to be doing everything they can to temper

obecity

Reaction score
Yeah, I think their pricing strategy has less to do with inflation and more to do with aligning to chrome hearts. Though I do think this strategy is going to require sustained enthusiasm from their fans which they seem to be doing everything they can to temper
Unfortunately, there are too many people out there who think a brand that is expensive and “exclusive” needs to treat their consumers disrespectfully, so they gladly line up to take the beatings to be part of the cool kid crowd. I love my JMM frames that I have, and I truly appreciate all the friends I’ve made here, but I was never part of the cool kids crowd in the ‘60s and I don’t need be cool now. I’ll just be a crotchety ole curmudgeon. JMTCW (just my two cents worth).

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
Also some food for thought for some of you newer fellers: JMM uses BETA (yes I’m shouting) titanium, not pure block titanium. Beta is the inferior form. Not surprising given JJ’s thirst for profit.

WADR (with all due respect), as we are solely talking eyewear here, I'm not convinced you are correct. There are more advantageous reasons why high end brands such as JMM, Akoni, THenri, Matsuda, Chrome Hearts and Dita to name a few, might choose BETA over pure titanium. Considering all those brands are produced in the Sabae workshops of Japan, I would imagine the metallurgical engineers of the aforementioned country might also know a thing or two more about it than most of us.

Compared with pure titanium and other titanium alloys, beta titanium has better strength, fatigue resistance and environmental corrosion resistance. It has good shape and plasticity. It can be made into wires and thin plates. Because beta titanium has a higher processing technology than pure titanium, it is generally only produced by large factories and brands, and prices are higher than pure titanium eyewear.

The difference between pure titanium and beta titanium glasses can be summarized as:
1. BETA titanium eyeglass frames are lighter than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
2. BETA titanium eyeglass frames are more elastic than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
3. BETA titanium eyeglass frames have a longer service life than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
4. BETA titanium eyeglass frames are slimmer than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
5. BETA titanium materials are more expensive, so BETA titanium eyeglass frames are generally more expensive than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
6. A pair of pure spectacle frames, different materials can be used for different parts;
7. The surface color process adopts full IP plating process, which is stronger, no static electricity and completely environmentally friendly.

JMTCW :)

obecity

Reaction score
WADR (with all due respect), as we are solely talking eyewear here, I'm not convinced you are correct. There are more advantageous reasons why high end brands such as JMM, Akoni, THenri, Matsuda, Chrome Hearts and Dita to name a few, might choose BETA over pure titanium. Considering all those brands are produced in the Sabae workshops of Japan, I would imagine the metallurgical engineers of the aforementioned country might also know a thing or two more about it than most of us.

Compared with pure titanium and other titanium alloys, beta titanium has better strength, fatigue resistance and environmental corrosion resistance. It has good shape and plasticity. It can be made into wires and thin plates. Because beta titanium has a higher processing technology than pure titanium, it is generally only produced by large factories and brands, and prices are higher than pure titanium eyewear.

The difference between pure titanium and beta titanium glasses can be summarized as:
1. BETA titanium eyeglass frames are lighter than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
2. BETA titanium eyeglass frames are more elastic than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
3. BETA titanium eyeglass frames have a longer service life than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
4. BETA titanium eyeglass frames are slimmer than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
5. BETA titanium materials are more expensive, so BETA titanium eyeglass frames are generally more expensive than pure titanium eyeglass frames;
6. A pair of pure spectacle frames, different materials can be used for different parts;
7. The surface color process adopts full IP plating process, which is stronger, no static electricity and completely environmentally friendly.

JMTCW :)
Fascinating information. I based my opinion on the Leisure Society (a high end manufacturer of frames) online homepage which really emphasized their use of pure block titanium as the best to buy. I just assumed it was true across the board for all products. I’m going to take a deep dive on this and see what I can learn. I’ll educate everyone with what I learn.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fascinating information. I based my opinion on the Leisure Society (a high end manufacturer of frames) online homepage which really emphasized their use of pure block titanium as the best to buy. I just assumed it was true across the board for all products. I’m going to take a deep dive on this and see what I can learn. I’ll educate everyone with what I learn.

How fascinating that you should use a MORE EXPENSIVE brand's marketing rhetoric to talk down to our lord and savior.

From now on JJ = Justice for Jerome

obecity

Reaction score
Ahhhh….touche (correct French spelling). I got roasted on that one for sure. Although your comment was a bit of a troll move right there, I’ll attribute it to your whipper snapperishness. I’ll back off a bit on the JMM criticism, but he’ll always be JJ (Jerome the Jerk) until he brings prices back down to my price range.

Pureneat

Reaction score
Ahhhh….touche (correct French spelling). I got roasted on that one for sure. Although your comment was a bit of a troll move right there, I’ll attribute it to your whipper snapperishness. I’ll back off a bit on the JMM criticism, but he’ll always be JJ (Jerome the Jerk) until he brings prices back down to my price range.
The spelling is correct, however there should be an acute symbol above the E

it should look like this……….touché……… this is proper French ….smiley face

obecity

Reaction score
The spelling is correct, however there should be an acute symbol above the E

it should look like this……….touché……… this is proper French ….smiley face
Yes. I knew about that but I don’t know how to put all those crazy designs on top of letters. Glad to see there is another grammarist keeping everyone in line. Huzzah!

obecity

Reaction score
Molly Jong-Fast just on CNN there sporting a pair of black JMM opticals - Enzo or Torino maybe?
Exactly what we don’t need. More people in the lime light bringing awareness to the brand. Here comes another price increase. Those Hollywood types should just mind their own business instead of mucking it up for the rest of us regular folx.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly what we don’t need. More people in the lime light bringing awareness to the brand. Here comes another price increase. Those Hollywood types should just mind their own business instead of mucking it up for the rest of us regular folx.
Why do you care?
You already said you’re boycotting the brand and won’t buy any more. The likelihood of prices coming down is slim to none. Continually moaning about it is just getting tedious.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad