• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
Haha, didn't mean to imply you had man. Sorry if it came off that way.

No problem, it didn't. I'm just trying to impart some of my "old man" wisdom, such as it is.
wink.gif

When I complain that I used to fit into size 29 pants, my wife reminds me that I was also all skin and bones and no muscle. I bulked up (in a good way) after I went into the air force, and while I essentially have gone up a full size since my early 20s, I'm also probably fitter and healthier than I was back then.

Toopy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
When I complain that I used to fit into size 29 pants, my wife reminds me that I was also all skin and bones and no muscle. I bulked up (in a good way) after I went into the air force, and while I essentially have gone up a full size since my early 20s, I'm also probably fitter and healthier than I was back then.

If you've added 5 inches to your waist (since your prime) I don't know if I'd consider that fitter & healthier. My waist size was 30" when I was in college and skinny as a rail. Even though I'm in my late 30's now if I starve myself that 30" waist is still there. Allowing for a non-competing healthy body fat percentage I'm best off in a size 31 or 32. I read stories about how Steeve Reeves would walk into restaurants wearing tailored, skin-tight shirts with that crazy V taper of his. People would stop what they were doing and stare at him as he walked by with a "Holy ****" look on their face. Unfortunately that kind of reaction has never occured with me.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really don't care what you consider. But perhaps consider that at a 29-inch wasit I might have been under my ideal weight, was eating crap, and had little or no muscle strength or physical fitness. Skinny doesn't equate automatically to healthy.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know if this has been asked, but does the student discount stack on top of normal sales? so if its a 30% sale can i get the 10% too so its 40% off?

i'll probably just wait for a sale like that and get the tuxedo instead so i can wear it for my orchestra concerts and black tie events

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
i dont know if this has been asked, but does the student discount stack on top of normal sales? so if its a 30% sale can i get the 10% too so its 40% off?

i'll probably just wait for a sale like that and get the tuxedo instead so i can wear it for my orchestra concerts and black tie events

depends on the store, and generally it would be an additional 10% off the already reduced price, not the original

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well thats still a pretty decent deal i suppose, i'll have to ask my local store and find out

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the student discount was 15%? 10% sucks.

EDIT: I also understood it as the discount only applied to full priced items, not sale items?

Is the info I have completely wrong? I'm so confused.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954
I thought the student discount was 15%? 10% sucks.

EDIT: I also understood it as the discount only applied to full priced items, not sale items?

Is the info I have completely wrong? I'm so confused.

Seems to depend on which store you go to. In my experience I've always been able to get it on all items.

Originally Posted by Althis
i dunno i thought teacher was 15%, maybe theyre both 15%

google told me 10% =/

Its definitely 15%, unless they've changed it in the last few weeks

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok cool, i hope they do stack at my store, they gave me the student discount once even when i didnt have my ID with me so hopefully theyll be nice about the sales =)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads