• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
& I can see how they're not for everybody. At the same time, you can be "slim," as I am, and still not have to wear slim trousers, that is, still look good in a full cut like the J. Crew. To me, a full cut doesn't mean the same thing as "big" sizing for the overweight man.

This is also very true. I guess it all depends on what you are going for. I like a more modern cut with my denim and I feel I want something somewhat the same out of any chinos I may be interested in. I do appreicate more relaxed styles though. They just aren't for me at the moment.

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kontai69
I'm doing the opposite as you. I have 29's and just ordered 28's (not received yet) because the waist is a little too loose and the legs are little too baggy.
FYI...with the 29's, the waist measures 31" around. It measures 8.75" wide across at the knees. You can also contact them directly for measurements.
By chance, could you measure the waist of your 28's for me? (Yeah I know, I could just email them, I'm curious in seeing how they will fit).

Mine is exactly 29 inches (un-aligned). These are the ones I got.

http://www.jcrew.com/browse/single_p...45524441765277

I don't have the knee measurement but the hem is about 7.8 inches.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is there anyone who owns that grey chambray workshirt (or owned it for a while) who can tell me what their thought is on it? J.Crew found a retailer that had my size and I just got an email saying that it should be heading my way soon. I thought it looked pretty dope on the site enough to pay retail (as crazy as that sounds), but was wondering if I should prepare myself for a dissapointment in terms of fabric and fit and such. I'd love to hear some opinions.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justtemple
^what size did you get?

I got a small. I'm not sure which retailer they found it from, but it is on it's way to me soon.

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I got a small. I'm not sure which retailer they found it from, but it is on it's way to me soon.

Sigh, there goes 90 bucks down the drain I suppose. Hopefully they can find another. I've had them search (and find) two items up until now and I have no clue why I didn't think of them doing this for the grey chambray.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justtemple
Sigh, there goes 90 bucks down the drain I suppose. Hopefully they can find another. I've had them search for two items upuntil now and I have no clue why I didn't think of them doing this for the grey chambray.

I take it you're a small then? Have you handled the grey chambray in person? If you are a small and you have been searching for this, I'll keep you mind if I decide against it before returning it if you like. I may have another similar shirt coming my way (awaiting stock availability) that is similar as I didn't think this one would be available so I may need to let one go. Feel free to PM me.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So is there anyone who owns that grey chambray workshirt (or owned it for a while) who can tell me what their thought is on it? J.Crew found a retailer that had my size and I just got an email saying that it should be heading my way soon. I thought it looked pretty dope on the site enough to pay retail (as crazy as that sounds), but was wondering if I should prepare myself for a dissapointment in terms of fabric and fit and such. I'd love to hear some opinions.

I'm pretty much in love with my chambray work shirt. Don't expect a particularly slim fit (this is J. Crew, after all), but it fits nicely and seems to be quality all around to me. Has some great details. Some things like this hardly ever go on sale. After waiting for months for a sale, I finally gave in and did full retail and I don't regret it.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
So the saga continues: I returned the motherfucker. When I got home this evening, I tried it with every combination I could think of, and I still ended up looking like a trooper. Quick spin in the dryer, quick recovery of the tags, and off to the store. Bought a pair of the summerweight chinos, regular fit, very white, instead. And on sale for only 29.99. So I ended up saving 40 bucks from my original purchase. And they are very nice.

I should know better than to buy beige shirts by now, but what can I say. I can wear shirts that are any variation of blue: navy, light, cobalt, striped, gingham, chambray. I can wear grey, even charcoal. I can even do some greens, if they're the right greens. I can wear white. I cannot do beige, pink, red, orange. Why do I still try?

LOL, yea even if you can manage to not look like a Forest Ranger or Sheriff, then you still end up looking like some dude on a safari. I'm in the same boat with you on the other colors - orange, pink, red. Although I just got the broken-in pocket jersey polo in 'old red' and I was able to pull it off. Other than warm weather flannel that's the only thing in red I own.

Originally Posted by mulansauce
but, like all J. Crew pants, the thighs and ass are too big.

I agree with Robert, there is a huge need for traditional cut jeans. Levi's does it but I don't like their washes. Slim fit jeans are a dime a dozen and come in any wash you can imagine.

Tried it on in a retail store, I'm an XL and found the large too tight and the XL too wide and baggy so I was in between. Didn't really like the color either - too chalky but that doesn't mean much because I'm mainly on the lookout for brighter colors for summer.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much in love with my chambray work shirt. Don't expect a particularly slim fit (this is J. Crew, after all), but it fits nicely and seems to be quality all around to me. Has some great details. Some things like this hardly ever go on sale. After waiting for months for a sale, I finally gave in and did full retail and I don't regret it.

That's good to hear and I wasn't expecting extremely fitted (which is fine by me) so long as it wasn't baloony. I heard they never go on sale if at all so I decided the same to just pull the trigger. So you have the grey one then?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's good to hear and I wasn't expecting extremely fitted (which is fine by me) so long as it wasn't baloony. I heard they never go on sale if at all so I decided the same to just pull the trigger. So you have the grey one then?

No, mine's blue.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so the linen shirt i bought fits me right in the shoulders however it is a little blousey still in the mid section. Will it shrink a little in the wash?

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd echo what most others have said. I love my grey chambray. Decent fit. Quality seems very good. Nice attention to details. I love it so much that I bought the blue as well last week.

v3l

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the chambray never goes on sale. They don't even let us use our employee discount on it
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads