• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
A zip fly can narrow the choice down a bit. First thing that comes to mind would be slim cut RRL off ebay. Jean Shop would be another choice for zip (straight cut or rocker) but it'd come out to a little over $200 including a discount from Farinelli's (see affiliate link above.)

Otherwise, $200 is a lot of ground to cover. You should take a look through the affiliates listed above and see if you find a cut that you feel would suit you best.

junkyard dog

Reaction score
i appreciate the input, but i'm not the type that knows what he needs! lol. though i do know what i like, i just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

a friend recommended low rise diesel or rock n rublic denim

good advice or are those crap quality?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by junkyard dog
i appreciate the input, but i'm not the type that knows what he needs! lol. though i do know what i like, i just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

Depends. Do you want your friend's opinion or a good one?

junkyard dog

Reaction score
??
you lost me there.

i thought it was pretty clear that i'm asking you guys on this board if his suggestion was good or not

Electricity

Reaction score

quality is subjective. but those brands, for the most part, do not the aesthetic if this forum. A common recomendation for you might be APC New Standards. They are slightly generic, but how different can a pair of raw jeans of equal quality really be?

everybodynobody

Reaction score
Quick denim question:

How can I keep my jeans shiny looking like new denim? Would starching them make them shinier?

Has anyone ever tried lacquering their jeans with polyurethane or something similar or would I ruin my jeans? Is this what clothing manufacturers mean when they say "resin coated?" What is in the coating?

junkyard dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Electricity
quality is subjective. but those brands, for the most part, do not the aesthetic if this forum. A common recomendation for you might be APC New Standards. They are slightly generic, but how different can a pair of raw jeans of equal quality really be?

i see
should i also be avoiding brands like True Religion and Citizens of Humanity as well?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
?? you lost me there. i thought it was pretty clear that i'm asking you guys on this board if his suggestion was good or not
I was inferring that your friend might not have the best opinion. I didn't previously mention those brands for a reason. You've gotta help us before we can help you. Look at the jeans on the sites listed above, find a few that look and are priced around what you're looking for, and then we can help you narrow down your choice. Brands enjoyed here: APC, Nudie, Crate, RRL, 5EP, Rag & Bone, KMW, Flathead, Skull, etc.
Huh?

Electricity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I was inferring that your friend might not have the best opinion. I didn't previously mention those brands for a reason.

You've gotta help us before we can help you. Look at the jeans on the sites listed above, find a few that look and are priced around what you're looking for, and then we can help you narrow down your choice. Brands enjoyed here: APC, Nudie, Crate, RRL, 5EP, Rag & Bone, KMW, Flathead, Skull, etc.

Huh?

I confuse myself sometimes too... what I meant to say is you shouldn't feel bad wearing APC jeans because alot of people on this forum wear them... Some people really want to be original but with raw denim besides cut and quality their is not much variation.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I confuse myself sometimes too... what I meant to say is you shouldn't feel bad wearing APC jeans because alot of people on this forum wear them... Some people really want to be original but with raw denim besides cut and quality their is not much variation.
If he's talking about Diesel, CoH, etc. then clearly he's not afraid of wearing something of the norm.

While most jean cuts are going to slightly overlap I'd have to disagree that there isn't much variation. Maybe you're just not very familiar with jeans but if someone wrote asking for suggestions for a straight-legged jean over $100 I could easily come up with ten different brands before even touching different models.

Just read over this thread and see how many times people ask something to the effect of, "I'm looking for a nicer version of APC NS. Ideas." Clearly there's tons of variation if you know where to look.

insOma

Reaction score
I have a few questions about these expensive jeans I've been reading about on the forum here. . .

While I've never owned a pair of $300+ jeans, I do appreciate nice things, and I'm not afraid of saving up a little and spending some hard-earned cash on something that's really qualitatively better than the average product. I've been looking into Japanese denim, and find myself considering a pair of Sugarcanes or Skulls or something similar, to see if they're really significantly "better" in some sense than jeans I've found (and quite like) from Levis and Gap. Some of the Gap jeans I've bought lately have developed "iPhone fades" and interesting creasing around the pocket areas, and seem to have the finished seams on the inside of the legs that apparently define the whole "selvage" manufacturing process. I'm curious about what exactly the difference is between those $60 jeans and the ones that cost 5 times that.

However. . . it seems like most of the posts about pricey denim advocate not washing the jeans, EVER, and wearing them daily for extended periods in order to develop desirable wear patterns, fading, fit and so on. Don't they eventually start to stink? I may be crazy, but I've always liked the way my jeans fit when they're freshly washed and dried, and I seldom wear the same pair more than a couple times without washing them. I always find that after a few wearings my jeans kind of stretch out and start getting shapeless, and even though they don't really stink after a few days wear, they don't FEEL clean anymore.

How do you guys get around this? Is there some mystical quality to Japanese denim that allows you to wear the same article of clothing everyday for a year and not smell bad, or develop weird skin diseases? Does something bad happen to these expensive jeans if you DO wash and dry them regularly?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Read over the thread a little bit more. Do a search in SW&D for the "guide to breaking in jeans" or whatever it's called. Doing both will answer your question about the washing/non-washing as this is seriously answered at least once a month.

In terms of the difference in price, jeans are like anything else. The time taken to make the piece, the processes used, the fabric, hardware, etc. all factor into the total cost. A Kia and a BMW can both be cars but the materials and process set the difference.

lailaihei

Reaction score
I'm in Japan and want to buy some Skulls, where should I buy from to get the best price? (If there are other Japanese brands you recommend above skulls, let me know, but they're my favorite so far that I've seen)
I'm looking to spend under $200.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're probably the same price everywhere...

insOma

Reaction score
I did read the "guide to breaking in jeans," thanks for steering me towards it. I'm getting the impression that not washing the jeans ends up the way I'd imagine it to: stinky.

I understand the Kia/BMW metaphor just fine, but what if I'm more curious about a Mercedes vs Porsche comparison? Elsewhere on this forum I've read that some of the Gap selvage is Japanese-made and of good quality. Does their stuff still fall into the "Kia" category? And again, does something bad happen to these jeans if you wash them often?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt