I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Any thoughts on the color "sorrel"? Anyone actually seen or own these, your thoughts?
    http://www.denimology.co.uk/WL_PHP/p...l_KMW-MJ14.php

on the Crate - James IV... Is the back rise really that short? it seems impossible. like 13 or so inches, is that mistake?
    Also, they look a bit grey in the pic off drescodesatlanta, are they indigo?

Thanks

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I can measure my pair but it doesn't sound too far off. Front rise on a 32 was around 9-9.25" if I'm not mistaken.

Definitely indigo. DresscodezATL is probably showing off the non-selvage variety in which case the color tends to look a bit different in the light. They'll still fade to a nice blueberry after a while.

3. stuartSan

stuartSan Well-Known Member

Okay, I had no idea Thin Finns would make my 5'6 frame look like a centaur (thank you low yoke), and have such a huge top block, but I'm still gonna wear these out before purchasing a new pair - after a couple of years collecting dust in my cupboard.

I'm looking for affordable stretch skinny jeans, dark indigo, and affordable. Any help? I'm new in stretch jeans, and all there are in Malaysia are Levi's (which aren't the same as LVC) and Topman. Thanks.

4. whodini

Are you talking about roping?
    If he is the he should know that chainstitching's the way to fix that problem.

5. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

Thanks whacked and who.

6. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Two questions:

1) What are peoples sentiments about the MarcOoperative line of jeans that have recently gone up on the Urban Outfitters website? I would link directly to them though I'm not sure if that's allowed...anyone know anything about this brand?

2) [With a lot of lead-up] I'm also considering getting into the high quality raw denim thing...

Here's what I've got right now, to give you an idea of what I'm currently working with:
    Theory slim fit indigo wash
    Oak brand original skinny fit
    Cheap Monday Black Monday wash

All pretty dark, heavy dyes, slim fitting, pretty good quality stuff by my mark. But then again I really have no idea how this stuff compares to companies like APC or Nudie etc.
    When I first tried on the Oak pair (which are the oldest) I couldn't believe how they felt compared to my old jeans, though they haven't held up as well as I'd hoped, probably because I didn't wash them right initially. A little bit of fraying over the pocket stitching occurred after the first wash (in warm rather than cold water), though since then they've been fine.
    The Theory pair have held up extraordinarily well and are my favorite. Very soft, perfect fit for me and perfect indigo wash. (slim and dark, but not too slim or funky to be classy or to dress up). I got them on sale for ninety bucks.
    The Cheap Monday ones seem like they'll hold up and age pretty well too, I can't believe that they were sixty five dollars (not on sale, apparently this is how the company prices all their stuff), perhaps they won't hold up the way I imagine/hope they will?

Can anyone tell me how a pair of jeans from APC or Nudie or another Denim Bar brand thats supposed to be "the real deal" would compare to what I have right now?

7. whodini

Two questions:

1) Good bet no one here knows what the hell they are. It's UO (no offense to KC/Rye who actually knows what they're doing.)

2) Theory and CM are about the cut and are not high quality denim. Oak could be depending on how long ago you got them. APC and Nudie aren't the "real deals," they're simply starting points. Nudie selvage is fine, their lab stuff is great. APC/Nudie will be slightly above what you presently have but that's not setting the bar very high.

8. Crakaveli

Crakaveli Senior member

raw (selvage if possible) denim other than apc and nudie for around $100?

9. whodini

good society at discount.

10. Crakaveli

Crakaveli Senior member

11. whodini

Or spend a little more and get something far better. Crate at discount is around $120 and yes, it's selvage.

12. Crakaveli

Crakaveli Senior member

the crate squire looks nice but they look too baggy on revolve. on context they look right.

13. niubi

niubi Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a pair of slim grey denim. SUGGESTIONS?

14. pridecake

pridecake Senior member

raw (selvage if possible) denim other than apc and nudie for around $100?

try uniqlo or gap morrisons. You can get APC's or nudies near new off others though

15. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

How accurate is the measurement size charts on context? I was looking at the measurements for the Crate Squire and some of those measurements seem out of whack. Tag size 29 & 30 both have the same waist measurement of 31" but tag 31 has a waist of 33"??????