1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. obeserabbit

obeserabbit Senior member

Context has measurements. So should the Farinelli thread. So should the APC thread.

context has unstretched measurements, i've searched the farinelli and APC threads, but no luck

2. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Thighs don't really stretch that much, in any jean. For the most part, thighs appear to loosen up because the waist does and they begin to sit lower on your waist.

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

context has unstretched measurements, i've searched the farinelli and APC threads, but no luck

Ha. You want them to wear them in for you and then measure? Everyone wears their jeans differently so any kind of measuring would be extremely subjective. Ha.

4. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I just did you a favor and measured my size 30 NS. They are 11.5" on mine about 2" below the crotch. (They're about 1 year old.)

I'd say the thighs definitely stretch, although not nearly as much as the waist.

5. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Are jeans with high or low rises more flattering on people with scrawny pelvic areas? My hips aren't especially narrow from side to side, but very flat. Logically, I'd assume that a low rise would work better, but I just want to check...

6. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

OK, a little background here. I'm completely clueless in all matters denim. Even before I had a suit-required-job I would usually not wear jeans. I'm willing to learn a bit though.

For years I did not bother and just bought one or two pairs of Levi's 501 to have a few jeans handy. Under the influence of various girls, I moved on to buy first a pair of Cornleone and then a pair of Diesel (Shazor) model. The Corleone now show a lot of wear and I wanted to replace them.

I went on yoox and bought two pairs of jeans on sale, almost at random. I just wanted them pretty simple in design, blue, not baggy, not too low-rise. I was not aware of sizing problems and just ordered my regular waist size (about 34). The jeans are from two brands: XStone Revolution and Costume national. The Costume national ones are so slim I cannot close them at the waist. I can close the waist on the XStone, only just, but the legs are painted on and too short. I will return them but what should I order instead?

Edit: I'm thinking of getting a full refund and buying some A.P.C. instead, it's a good brand right?

7. why

why Senior member

Are jeans with high or low rises more flattering on people with scrawny pelvic areas? My hips aren't especially narrow from side to side, but very flat. Logically, I'd assume that a low rise would work better, but I just want to check...

It mainly has to do with torso length vs. leg length and how high the hips are. I have longish legs and wear low rises better.

8. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

It mainly has to do with torso length vs. leg length and how high the hips are. I have longish legs and wear low rises better.

Ah. I have long legs and a shorter torso, so I'm assuming I'd also do better with lower-rise jeans? I feel like the rise on my New Cures is either too high or too low, but I'm not really sure which...

9. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

Does anyone know how you can get creases out of raw denim? My APC NS have a really annoying crease on the fly that was there when I bought them (it exposes part of the top button). I tested an iron (no steam) on the inside of the waist band and it went shiny right away, ironing through a towel did nothing. Do I need to use steam?

10. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

^Just wear them, it'll go away.

11. Kodiak

Kodiak Senior member

^Just wear them, it'll go away.
    probably not, my 19cm have a crease on the button flap that shows a couple of the buttons that has never gone away

12. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

yeah, this thing is never going away by itself, trust me.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

OK, a little background here. I'm completely clueless in all matters denim. Even before I had a suit-required-job I would usually not wear jeans. I'm willing to learn a bit though.

For years I did not bother and just bought one or two pairs of Levi's 501 to have a few jeans handy. Under the influence of various girls, I moved on to buy first a pair of Cornleone and then a pair of Diesel (Shazor) model. The Corleone now show a lot of wear and I wanted to replace them.

I went on yoox and bought two pairs of jeans on sale, almost at random. I just wanted them pretty simple in design, blue, not baggy, not too low-rise. I was not aware of sizing problems and just ordered my regular waist size (about 34). The jeans are from two brands: XStone Revolution and Costume national. The Costume national ones are so slim I cannot close them at the waist. I can close the waist on the XStone, only just, but the legs are painted on and too short. I will return them but what should I order instead?

Edit: I'm thinking of getting a full refund and buying some A.P.C. instead, it's a good brand right?

Etienne, be aware that APC's sizing is ridiculous. If you get the New Standards, you'll want to get a size 32. I'm far from a denim expert, but for what it's worth I'd recommend the 5EP Low Down Boot Cut or the Acme Mic (I'm sure others can add other suggestions) based on your description of what you're looking for. (On the 5EP, you'll likely also want to size down to a 32.)

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

Like LD said, make sure to go down 2 from your usual size if you're going with APC New Standards.

Basically, it all comes down to what kind of a fit you're looking for. Do you want a nicer version of the 501? Are you looking for something a bit slimmer? Higher/lower rise? APC is thrown around a lot on here, sometimes to knee-jerk or sheepish effect, because it's a relatively cheap introduction to "nice" denim at $150 (although quite a few brands can be cheaper than that such as Crate and LVC); I still don't care for the denim quality but to each their own.

Once you figure out the fit you want, ask yourself what you want out of a jean. Some people prefer to start off "cheap" and then work their way up into higher-end brands they can come to appreciate. Usually the difference between good and great denim is a matter of $50-75 on top of that original $150 when you take advantage of forum affiliate discounts from people like Farinelli or Secret Service.

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

It's a shot in the dark, but does anyone have pics of levis 511 in a chainlink wash?

16. obeserabbit

obeserabbit Senior member

Ha. You want them to wear them in for you and then measure? Everyone wears their jeans differently so any kind of measuring would be extremely subjective. Ha.

lol.

I just did you a favor and measured my size 30 NS. They are 11.5" on mine about 2" below the crotch. (They're about 1 year old.)

I'd say the thighs definitely stretch, although not nearly as much as the waist.

thx

17. svilian

svilian Active Member

Hello to everyone

Anyone here famliar with earnest sewn models. I just got by the mail earnest sewn fulton jeans, I am looking for straight leg models, this one fits me nice, but the leg is slighly slim for my taste, I don´t think is a true staright leg cut, but a little slim fit.

I am wondering about the syd model (vintage straight leg) and the hemingway model (full leg, I don´t really understand waht this means) any experience with this two models

Best regards

18. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Etienne, be aware that APC's sizing is ridiculous.
    Thanks for the info. The good point for APC in my case is that they are in Paris, which means I can go there and try them on.

Just to be sure I have to return the previous two I bought online, do you (or anybody) know those brands (XStone Revolution and Costume national)? Do they stretch a lot? Maybe my incomfort was just me being confronted for the first time with slim fit jeans. I understand the tighs and calves never stretch?

Once you figure out the fit you want, ask yourself what you want out of a jean. Some people prefer to start off "cheap" and then work their way up into higher-end brands they can come to appreciate.
    I will probably sound shallow, but what I mainly want is something that will look good to others, mainly of the female persuasion. I have not developed a taste for denim myself like I have for other types of clothes.

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

^^^

Then APC should be a no-brainer if you're in Paris.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I mostly agree, but keep in mind that trying on a new pair of APC will give you very little idea how they'll actually fit once they start to stretch. If the APC store has a pair of worn 32's you can try on, that would be a more useful test than trying on a new pair of 34s (which will feel ok in the store but will be falling down around your knees after a week) or a new pair of 32s (which will feel like tights (um, I mean what I imagine tights would feel like . . .) when you put them on but will loosen up with very little wear.