• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Are the Rag & Bone jeans this season sanforized?

They have never been unsanforized, so I don't see any reason they would start.

8bpc

Reaction score
This is a re-post (from APC thread) with additional question since this thread seems to get more traffic.

Sadly no local A.P.C.s, so I'm looking for input on the fit I should get for the New Standard. I'm looking for something that remains well fitted in the seat and thigh after stretching, but not restrictive. For example MJK's recent WAYWT: http://www.michaeljkrell.com/waywt/92108.jpg

Approximate measures I took with a measuring tape:
32" at navel
33" at 2" below navel
34" at 4" below navel
20-21.5" at upper thigh area

For a point of reference I tried on preshrunk Levis 501's and a 31 felt tight, but wearable. I could barely button the 30 and they were very tight.

I've heard size down 2 from jean size and 4 from true waist size... so what do you think a 29? Will a 29 stretch out too much to where I will lose the fitted seat and thigh?

gabby11303

Reaction score
Been looking at the Acne Mic or Max in raw or rigid. If I'm looking in that price range, what others should I be checking out? Looking for a fit like this:

img_0313-2.jpg

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be a good starter dry/ selvage jeans to purchase? Assuming a budget of about $120-$130, with a requirement for a not too tight jeans without taper.

I am pretty new to dry/ raw selvage but seeing that so many jeans washes these days are so distressed (unsuitable for work), I feel selvage will be a classic choice with staying power.

I've been reading this thread and several others and have narrowed my search to uniqlo, nudie, APC and ACNE as they seem to fit my budget after applying affliate discounts. I would probably take Nudies from Self Edge, as their prices include international shipping. Would the average joe model be a good starter choice.... or something else? I have a 34.5" waist (measured snug) and don't want something too tight around the seat and thigh.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated?

Francis91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
What would be a good starter dry/ selvage jeans to purchase? Assuming a budget of about $120-$130, with a requirement for a not too tight jeans without taper.

I am pretty new to dry/ raw selvage but seeing that so many jeans washes these days are so distressed (unsuitable for work), I feel selvage will be a classic choice with staying power.

I've been reading this thread and several others and have narrowed my search to uniqlo, nudie, APC and ACNE as they seem to fit my budget after applying affliate discounts. I would probably take Nudies from Self Edge, as their prices include international shipping. Would the average joe model be a good starter choice.... or something else? I have a 34.5" waist (measured snug) and don't want something too tight around the seat and thigh.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated?

I'd go with Nudie Average Joes or APC Rescues. The APC Rescues will definitely fall into your price range after discounts.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Just how far sized down LDB are we talking? If CP4 here is looking for a fit nearly identical to BDG, SSDS sized down one would be it.

As much as I'm here to celebrate Crate's love there just isn't a cut similar to what he wants. The Hamilton and Journal are slightly fuller than the BDG.

http://www.revolveclothing.com/brand...Crate.jsp?&d=d

The rise is a bit longer, as is the hem and thigh. It's more of a traditional/repro cut while the Journal is somewhat of a hybrid because of the low rise yet regular fit.

thanks for the info, i am gonna hit up the co-op this weekend and check them out. you are a denim master...
worship.gif

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francis91
I'd go with Nudie Average Joes or APC Rescues. The APC Rescues will definitely fall into your price range after discounts.
Uniqlos are a steal for the price. I got some straight leg selvage for about $80 and I think that's actually on the pricier side for a pair of Uniqlo jeans. However I've been wearing my pair pretty casually for maybe a couple months now and am getting strange irregular fades in places that don't see alot of stress. It could be a quality issue, I don't know... Another option that you should consider I think should be Crate. They're within your price range when you use the discount and I plan on getting a pair of Journals my next pair. Everything about them from the hardware, detailing, and denim seem amazing.

johnny d

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a new pair of denim and need some advice.

Currently wearing down a pair of APC Rescue size 33 (true size), but should have gone down to 32. Fit perfect in the legs, too loose in the waist, as expected. My legs are pretty built due to a lot of sports, but waist is too narrow for stretched 35" on rescues.

Have been looking at Nudie's (even steven, RR?) and also Samurai (710?). What I don't like about the rescue's are the huge leg opening. Looking for something around 8-8.25". Open to other brands as well.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of nudie even stevens that i think i'll grow to love. they have a pretty narrow leg opening right around 8.25 i think. it also is pretty roomy up top which sounds like what you're looking for. RR's have wider leg openings as they're sort of a boot cut.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for a low rise boot cut pair of raw jeans? I'm looking for a rise no more than 10" and a bottom hem of no less than 9". I've been searching for a pair like this for some time, but have yet to really come up with a definite fit. I am skinny so the slimmer the profile of the jean, the better, but I'm not looking for skin tight.

premo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by premo
I'm hesitant... I need something similar to APC Rescues since I have large thighs...

Nudie Big Bengt or Sugar Cane Union Star or LVC 1933 or PBJ XX-009 or PBJ XX-003 or Samurai S5000VX or SDA SD-101 or ... ?

Which should I automatically discard? Which should I look more into?

Oh hi, super good question, man. I wish I could answer but I have no idea, maybe someone else does.

\t
cool.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by premo
I'm hesitant... I need something similar to APC Rescues since I have large thighs...

Nudie Big Bengt or Sugar Cane Union Star or LVC 1933 or PBJ XX-009 or PBJ XX-003 or Samurai S5000VX or SDA SD-101 or ... ?

Which should I automatically discard? Which should I look more into?

For one, the jeans you mention all have very different cuts.

Jeans for big thighs? This might help:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=66726

DocHunter

Reaction score
Does Nudie have any stores in the U.S.? From the website it doesn't look like it.

If not, who has the widest selection of Nudie stuff in Manhattan?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads