Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Johnny Amiga

Johnny Amiga Senior member

What's the difference between Skull's "6x6 Raw Japanese Selvedge" and their normal selvedge denim?

2. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

What's the difference between Skull's "6x6 Raw Japanese Selvedge" and their normal selvedge denim?

straight from BiG's website

6x6 model (The thickness of threads and yarns are measured in numbers, #0 being
    the thickest and decreasing in size with a higher number. Therefore 6x6 indicates
    this model uses #6 indigo warp threads and #6 ecru weft yarn and is heavier in
    weight and darker in color than the 7x6 model which uses #7 warp threads and #6
    weft yarns for a lighter weight and lighter color denim).
    http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

3. noorotic

noorotic Active Member

So i purchased a pair of nudie ssds off of revolve and had to send them back...I ordered 32x34 because I'm usually a 33 in other brands but I couldn't even button them...not even close....It also felt a little too tight in thigh, but the leg opening was exactly what I wanted.

So instead of sizing up, I'm thinking about a pair of KMW 1950's classic raw....Only problem is the leg opening is 18" as opposed to 17"...I don't want it to feel too baggy down there.

4. djs488

djs488 Senior member

Does Nudie have any stores in the U.S.? From the website it doesn't look like it.

If not, who has the widest selection of Nudie stuff in Manhattan?

Thanks.

barney's carries a lot of nudies last time i was there.

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

So i purchased a pair of nudie ssds off of revolve and had to send them back...I ordered 32x34 because I'm usually a 33 in other brands but I couldn't even button them...not even close....It also felt a little too tight in thigh, but the leg opening was exactly what I wanted.

So instead of sizing up, I'm thinking about a pair of KMW 1950's classic raw....Only problem is the leg opening is 18" as opposed to 17"...I don't want it to feel too baggy down there.

Sounds like your other jeans might be vanity-sized, i.e. a 33 actually measures 34-35" at waist. Like most mall brand / "designer" jeans.

Among Kicking Mule offerings, the 1980 is cut most similar to Straight Svens. Don't size down though.

6. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Mmkay, so I'm finally starting to make up my mind about this raw denim-buying ordeal. I did a bit of measuring, and I'm 30.5" in the waist, 31.5" in the hips, and about 17.5" inches around the thighs (mind you, this is the thicker part of the thigh.

My options are the APC NS (probably sz. 29), APC NC (probably sz. 30), and the H&M Sliq raws (not really sure how I'd size those). If I go with APC, I might as well go as slim as possible, but would rather not look one of those douchebags who wear skinny jeans despite OBVIOUSLY not being able to fit into them well.

Keeping in mind that these are going to be my first pair of raw or slim/skinny jeans and that I'm on a tight budget (and could thus use money saved on jeans on other clothes that I sort of need), are APC's really worth the extra $84? Anyhow, if the H&M's do make more sense (which I'm thinking they might), how should I size them?

7. Chango

Chango Active Member

I have been wearing the 5ep Straight Down Zip for about 1 hour so far, and I love them! I was interested in the LDB, and will probably still buy them, but what other type of brand has the same fit as the 5ep Straight Down Zip? I want to have a 5ep and another to wear on a daily basis. I'm also a little worried that the 5ep Low Down Boot will not fit me like the Straight Down, since the straight down was tight on my legs at first.

8. Orpheus

Orpheus Well-Known Member

Bizarre question here...I'm looking at a long term soak (couple hours) but want to keep the waist about where it started. Should I wait until after the soak? And, more importantly, what would be the best way to restretch the waist? Specifically I was thinking some contraption involving duct tape and some rulers that I'd shove inside the jeans to prevent shrinkage. I can't size up. Ideas?

9. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Keeping in mind that these are going to be my first pair of raw or slim/skinny jeans and that I'm on a tight budget (and could thus use money saved on jeans on other clothes that I sort of need), are APC's really worth the extra $84? Anyhow, if the H&M's do make more sense (which I'm thinking they might), how should I size them?
    There are other options besides APC. Good Society starts under $100, Crate from Secret Service would be around $130, there's also Naked and Famous... and of course RRL on ebay would could also be had below $100.

You need to ask your self why you are getting raw jeans to begin with. Do you want something that's constantly dark or are you looking for something to fade? If it's the former then just go cheap with H&M, if it's the latter then count your pennies and go as high as your budget will allow. This really needs to be tattooed at the top of every newbie jean thread: it's cheaper to buy one solid pair of jeans than waste your time with several cheaper pairs.
    Bizarre question here...I'm looking at a long term soak (couple hours) but want to keep the waist about where it started. Should I wait until after the soak? And, more importantly, what would be the best way to restretch the waist? Specifically I was thinking some contraption involving duct tape and some rulers that I'd shove inside the jeans to prevent shrinkage. I can't size up. Ideas?
    The easiest way to do this is to simply be in your jeans when you soak them. If you don't have a bathtub then just run the shower for 20 mins. The alternative would be to let them soak and then while they're still wet wear them around while doing stretches and lunges to stretch them out (which is far easier to do while still wet.) Rulers would help the waist band keep its size but the top block itself is bound to shrink.

10. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

There are other options besides APC. Good Society starts under $100, Crate from Secret Service would be around $130, there's also Naked and Famous... and of course RRL on ebay would could also be had below $100. You need to ask your self why you are getting raw jeans to begin with. Do you want something that's constantly dark or are you looking for something to fade? If it's the former then just go cheap with H&M, if it's the latter then count your pennies and go as high as your budget will allow. This really needs to be tattooed at the top of every newbie jean thread: it's cheaper to buy one solid pair of jeans than waste your time with several cheaper pairs.
    Thanks for the reply. T'was insightful. The question of why I'm getting into raw jeans is a perfectly good one. I like dark(er) jeans, but wouldn't mind having some cool whiskering and honeycombing. If this still happens on the H&M jeans, then I don't mind them not getting very faded in other places. Conceptually, both Good Society and Crate sound very cool. Anyhow, what are the skinniest jeans that I could look/feel relatively comfortable in at 30.5" waist, 31.5" hips, and ~ 17.5" around the thighs? As a frame of reference, would I be to pull off something like an APC NC in 29" (again, without looking/feeling uncomfortable)?

11. whodini

Take a look at the gallery as I believe there are a few pics of some H&M jeans. Mall brands like that, BDG, Gap, etc. just aren't made with the quality or with the intention of being worn to fade although there are very, very few exceptions to the rule. All jeans fade with time but personal experience matched with the experiences of others force me to repeat my advice about saving your pennies.

Any reason why you're so set on H&M? As I already hinted at before you could find much better for your budget on ebay with RRL.

Skinny is completely subjective but I probably wouldn't recommend sizing down that much on APC NC; really, that rule is for NS and Rescue. Have you glanced through the APC sizing thread to see what others would have done in the past?

12. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

whodini, thanks again. Your insights have been seriously helpful.

I'm not too set on H&M, it's just cheap and convenient. I'm open to anything I can get at a brick & mortar store which is reachable by public transit in Chicago. I suppose I could also go up to Detour in Milwaukee, if need be. I have monday off, and could go up then...

Regardless of how much I size down on any particular jean, would 30.5" waist, 31.5" hips, 17.5" thigh, 14" calf be considered relatively suitable proportions for jeans that are decidedly "skinny" (as opposed to "slim")? I get that skinniness is subjective, but are my thighs generally narrow enough (relative to my waist, hips, and, calves) that I wouldn't be bulging out out skinny jeans that fit properly elsewhere?

13. sharpcelery

sharpcelery Active Member

I have a sizeable amount of junk in the trunk and I'd like to stick to levi's for now.
    I'm about 5-10 205 lbs, what jeans would you recommend?
    I've bought pairs of 505s and 514s. The 505s were for work--not looks--so we can ignore those. The 514s were super tight on the thighs and made me look like I had girl hips. The levi's rep recommended 539s, and I bought a pair, but they don't have them in the real dark color without retarded marks on them.
    Opinions?

14. whodini

whodini, thanks again. Your insights have been seriously helpful. I'm not too set on H&M, it's just cheap and convenient. I'm open to anything I can get at a brick & mortar store which is reachable by public transit in Chicago. I suppose I could also go up to Detour in Milwaukee, if need be. I have monday off, and could go up then... Regardless of how much I size down on any particular jean, would 30.5" waist, 31.5" hips, 17.5" thigh, 14" calf be considered relatively suitable proportions for jeans that are decidedly "skinny" (as opposed to "slim")? I get that skinniness is subjective, but are my thighs generally narrow enough (relative to my waist, hips, and, calves) that I wouldn't be bulging out out skinny jeans that fit properly elsewhere?
    In general, I'd say so. The trick with any skinny jean is to size it correctly and trying not to go against nature.

15. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

In general, I'd say so. The trick with any skinny jean is to size it correctly and trying not to go against nature.

epic! thanks again.