1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Bump to this question...

I finally have moved on from bootcut, and I'm comfortable with it. I'm just worried about what I'll be able to squeeze my thighs into.

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/LeviSt...digo-1752.html

There are the measurements on the 1947s. Really, it sounds like you just want a standard straight-leg jean so the 1947s should be fine for you or you could find even more relaxed cuts.

Honestly, when people say "I have big thighs" it's completely subjective. Go by the measurements given on the jeans you plan to buy and compare them with jeans you already own.

Just got in some dry grey even stevens from denim bar today that I'm liking alot. I hear dry nudies stretch out alot so I'm kinda nervous about that since they fit exactly like I want them to right now..anyone have any past insight on this?

also, whats a Crate model that fits the bill for some straight leg jeans with a low-mid rise?

man..is it bad that i'm already starting to think about my next pair? it never ends does it...? [​IMG]

1) Wear a belt. That will help limit stretching in the waist a bit. Otherwise, return them immediately and size down. I'd probably do the latter.

2) Straight leg and...how big of a hem? All Crates are low/mid rise so it depends on the kind of cut you want. A more trad cut would be the Hamiltons (check wawyn for Get Smart's fit) or a hybrid would be my Journals (check the denim pics thread for measurements) with a regular fit and a low rise.

2. whacked

whacked Distinguished Member

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/LeviSt...digo-1752.html

There are the measurements on the 1947s. Really, it sounds like you just want a standard straight-leg jean so the 1947s should be fine for you or you could find even more relaxed cuts.

Those measurements are recorded before shrinkage by the way. After first soak/wash, they'll shrink approx. 2" in the waist and 2-3" in length(it's called Shrink-To-Fit for a reason).

So, size up accordingly.

3. whodini

I figured I'd let him do the reading on the page. Go back to losing fantasy football matchups to me where you belong.

4. whacked

I figured I'd let him do the reading on the page. Go back to losing fantasy football matchups to me where you belong.

[​IMG]

5. TheClearanceGuy

TheClearanceGuy Well-Known Member

I like 7 generation brand, but they are so expensive. low waist, with a boot cut with a reasonable flair...

Eric

6. wmmk

wmmk Distinguished Member

...sounds like an APC New Standard in a 28 would work perfectly for you. (They'll be very tight for a week, but you'll learn to love 'em.)
    Cool. I definitely am getting a good vibe from APC stuff. The aesthetic minimalism, the reasonable pricepoint, the relatively quick fading. In regards to which model/what sizing to go for, I'm still a bit on the fence. How much slimmer/more tapered would a sz. 28 NS be than sz. 31 Levi's 514, 527, or 507's?

Also, I was thinking that despite my not being near an APC store, it might be good to try on some jeans with similar fits. I'm a bike ride away from Levi's, Urban Outfitters, and American Apparel, and could try on anything at those places. Are there any jeans that might let me get a good idea of the way an APC NS, NC, or Petit Standard might fit me and how much I would size down on each?

Thanks much.

7. Brian278

Brian278 Distinguished Member

This question goes more or less directly to Who but I figured maybe someone else could benefit from the answer...

Any jeans that with measurements like those old UO BDG one-washes? I came across my old pair and remembered how much I liked the fit but obviously the denim was substandard. I would like to get something just a little looser than my PBJ 005s and sized-down LDBs.

Having a couple similiar options to choose from would be great, I could live with maybe a touch more front rise or a .5" slight taper. Thanks.

8. whodini

Hmm...

I'd say SSDS. The rise on the BDG's were around 9-9.5" on a 32; SSDS is maybe 9.5-10" on a 31? SSDS is straight but you could get the hem narrowed a bit at the tailor. Everything else on the fit is pretty similar.

9. whacked

^ Average Joe or Uniqlo S-002.

Edit: I see who's fast. Straight Sven was my first thought too, but they wouldn't be looser than sized down LDB.

I'm surprised dude didn't suggest some sized-up Crates...

10. whodini

The AJ seems a bit fuller than the BDG's. The thigh on a 32 would be around 11.5" with a 10.5" rise and that's bit bigger than what I would call similar to the BDG fit, especially since they were supposed to be slim straights.

11. TyCooN

TyCooN Distinguished Member

Where can I browse 5ep jeans online? I hear so much about them around here that I'm interested to see if they'll have cuts that interest me.
    denimbar is selling a few pairs

12. onion

onion Distinguished Member

Revolve has all the raw/one-wash 5ep jeans available here. And you can get 30% off if its your first purchase from them.

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

14. TyCooN

TyCooN Distinguished Member

15. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Distinguished Member

ok, i have tried on the crate journals and fell in love with the denim, but i just noticed the hamiltons and i was wondering what the difference was between the two (they didn't have them at barney's ny)...