I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Wildmoose

Wildmoose Member

dumb question, but when a measurement is listed on something like revolveclothing.com and it says knee and leg opening, is leg opening is referring to the bottom of the jean right?

for the longest time i thought it meant thigh opening

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

dumb question, but when a measurement is listed on something like revolveclothing.com and it says knee and leg opening, is leg opening is referring to the bottom of the jean right?

for the longest time i thought it meant thigh opening

Yes. Legs have openings, thighs... not so much.

3. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

Why do people "retire" their jeans once they start to really look worn in? I thought that was the look people were going for.

Also, I bought some RM williams craftsmens in chestnut, will these look ok with looser jeans? The only slim jeans I have are some APC NS, everything else are 501s STF.

4. whodini

Why do people "retire" their jeans once they start to really look worn in? I thought that was the look people were going for.
    Well, that's kind of the point, right? A sculptor takes a slab of rock and works at it until he thinks he's done. It's not to say that it'll never see the light of day but personally speaking there are still other slabs in my closet that need work.

5. mikenogo

mikenogo Member

Hey guys I just got myself diesel thaye, my first pair of jeans that is over $150...
    so I bought it because i wanted a jean that is lower back pocket to make it look baggy but slim down, the thing is, the jean is waayyy too long, i don't know if it is suppose to be like that, but the guy told me it is long for me so he recommended me to tailor it. But before tailoring it, he said it is best to dry wash it first with cold water and hang dry. This is at holt renfrew so they tailor it for free, anyways, should i do it? anything else i should know?

6. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

I'm looking for my first pair of raw jeans. I've measured a pair of my favorite pre washed mall jeans and I'm looking for some advice on what raw jeans might fit similarly. The jeans I've measured are Levis 514's.

waist 35 (they're pretty lose in the waist)
    fr rise 10.5
    thigh 13
    inseam 30
    knee 9
    opening 8.5

Since there seems to be so much variation in pre and post wash measurements how do I pick the right size? Most dimensions listed on web sites like Self Edge are pre wash so do I want to buy slightly larger to account for shrinking or slightly smaller to account for stretching?

7. drewdub

drewdub Active Member

Ok, so I have now struck out twice on some denim - need help on what to try next.

I am about 5'8" and 160ish

I measured my actual waist, a bit above 34 inches.

Nudie AJDH in 30x32 - pretty small. ( this was before i measured myself, dumb)

Then, i think i went overboard and overcompensated

APC Rescue in 32x34 - faaaar too big. (I have no ass) I dont think any size rescue would work for me.

So, I was thinking AJDH in 31x32, or should i do a 32x32. (I cannot find APC NS in a 30 waist).

Is this a logical next step?

8. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

haha it's kind of funny cause you probably could have switched the two sizes on the jeans around and come out with two pairs that you probably would have liked. For the Nudies I would say it depends on how small the 30x32 was on you, but it sounds like with your waist size that a 32 would fit better. You should also consider APC new standards in maybe a 31.

9. whodini

Is this a logical next step?

Honestly, nothing what you purchased makes much sense. If you're slightly above a 34 why are you sizing down 4 on the AJ???

The Rescues are supposed to be a fuller cut and in several cases people size down 3. Again, they're meant to fit like APC NS. Speaking of which, if the general practice is to size down 2 on APC NS then why are you looking for a 30?

I think your best bet would be to measure a pair of jeans you already have using BiG standards. Once you have an idea of what your idea jean fit would be you could compare that to online measurements and add 3% to account for stretching. This would take out a lot of the guesswork since no one but you knows where or how you measured your "actual waist."

10. shade449

shade449 Well-Known Member

Since there seems to be so much variation in pre and post wash measurements how do I pick the right size? Most dimensions listed on web sites like Self Edge are pre wash so do I want to buy slightly larger to account for shrinking or slightly smaller to account for stretching?

IN GENERAL, I find that most unsanforized jeans stretch about as much as they'll shrink in the waist, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just try them on pre-wash. If they fit a little too slim, you're probably not going to be able to fit in them post-wash to even get the stretching out process started so just send them back and try again. Obviously things like the inseam won't stretch so take that into account.

11. tyates

tyates Well-Known Member

I need to hem my NS. Should I keep the original hem or not?

12. whodini

I need to hem my NS. Should I keep the original hem or not?
    Unless they've been worn in for month and show wear on the hems, there's no real reason to do so.

13. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

IN GENERAL, I find that most unsanforized jeans stretch about as much as they'll shrink in the waist, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just try them on pre-wash. If they fit a little too slim, you're probably not going to be able to fit in them post-wash to even get the stretching out process started so just send them back and try again. Obviously things like the inseam won't stretch so take that into account.

That makes sense. Thanks. What about buying unsanforized jeans?

Any suggestions based on my measurements?

waist 35 (they're pretty lose in the waist)
    fr rise 10.5
    thigh 13
    inseam 30
    knee 9
    opening 8.5

14. danilo

danilo Senior member

Samurai S0500xx or S5000xx

15. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

Samurai S0500xx or S5000xx

Thanks. Those were two I was considering. Any suggestion on which size or waist size I should start with?