1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. thedamnscott

thedamnscott Senior member

Theory, assuming you were talking to me, according to the sizing guide on SelfEdge the F380s shrink more than most denim, and would probably go from a 38 inseam to a 35.5 or 35, which is a bit too short for me, I think. It's too bad, though, they're essentially what I'm looking for, if a little on the pricier side.

2. mattn

mattn Active Member

Ande Whall. I think he has sizes up to a 38" standard and you can request up to a 44" inseam for 25 bucks more.

3. haganah

haganah Senior member

Crate Journal, sized up 1 or 2 (they run small), sound like it. They're available at SecretService (banner above) for $150 before SF discount. Crate denim this season is excellent, I have a pair in another model and love them. PBJ 005 and Somet Straight are also good, albeit pricier, options. Check with BiG.
    Is secretservice a blog? I can't figure out what's going on in there...

4. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

cross post
    question: I got a pair 1980s in size 32, which measured out to be about 16.25-16.50 in the waist....
    i have worn them for about half a day and they have already stretched to about 17.0 in the waist....

stretched out super quick!

If they dont stretch anymore I will be ok (they are belted)..... anybody have any idea if im in for more stretching?

5. Theory

Theory Senior member

Theory, assuming you were talking to me, according to the sizing guide on SelfEdge the F380s shrink more than most denim, and would probably go from a 38 inseam to a 35.5 or 35, which is a bit too short for me, I think. It's too bad, though, they're essentially what I'm looking for, if a little on the pricier side.

You're not going to lose 3 inches from a shrink.. maybe one in the inseam then combing eat will a bit more.

6. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

x-post

If MII dior 19cm were too small for me in a size 31, would a 31 in new cures be too small, since the 19cm is based on NC? or should i get a 32?

7. thedamnscott

thedamnscott Senior member

Yeah, I guess I read "they can shrink up to 2.5/3 inches in the inseam" and interpreted that as "they will shrink 3 inches and be too short" even though that's very unlikely the case. So yeah, that looks like a good option, as does Ande Whall. Would it be worth the price jump to get the Flat Heads? What about a pair of LVC 1947 Deadstock? How would those compare?

8. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

You're not going to lose 3 inches from a shrink.. maybe one in the inseam then combing eat will a bit more.

2 inches (or more) is pretty much a given with unsanforized denim...

9. unjung

unjung Senior member

I want to look cool when I go out. I enjoy wearing everything from T-shirts and polos to sport coats with jeans, and boat shoes, wingtips or Onitsuka Tigers. I wear a 34/33, normally.

What type of jean should I buy?

Posted because this is easier than wading through 200 pages.

10. Theory

Theory Senior member

2 inches (or more) is pretty much a given with unsanforized denim...

Just sayin. My f380's didnt shrink that much.

11. BOF

BOF Senior member

I want to look cool when I go out. I enjoy wearing everything from T-shirts and polos to sport coats with jeans, and boat shoes, wingtips or Onitsuka Tigers. I wear a 34/33, normally.

What type of jean should I buy?

Posted because this is easier than wading through 200 pages.

I'd say check out APC or Nudies. They're good brands to start with in the world of denim. Context has some good sizing charts for most of the cuts, and the people there, as well as Farinelli's or Self-Edge are very helpful in so far as sizing is concerned.

12. powerloxs25

powerloxs25 Member

Hey, I need a raw jean that fits similar to KMW rockers.. Preferably with an inseam that's going to be longer than 34".

13. BOF

BOF Senior member

It looks like the measurements on Skulls 5010 are about the same as those on the KMW Rocker, but with a 35.5" inseam (according to BiG).

14. eazyF

eazyF Member

15. yamazs

yamazs Well-Known Member

Thoughts on first fit? Nudies Regular Alf.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/...974f32.jpg?v=0

Planning on hemming about 3-3.5"

I think they look fine... Most people would say they look too baggy... but its hard to tell without being able to see how your upper body balances your jeans... if you have a large upper body and you like your jeans a little loose then they look fine... but you should seriously consider sizing down one or getting a different cut otherwise...

also I prefer seeing jeans hanging a smidge lower on the hips... they are riding up your ass right now.

16. mattn

mattn Active Member

Those seem a bit loose. The fit is doable now but they'll stretch

17. eazyF

eazyF Member

Those seem a bit loose. The fit is doable now but they'll stretch
    They're actually quite tight in the thighs and I can barely sit and type this right now. Do you think it's the super long length that's making them appear loose? Honestly, these are the tightest pair of jeans I own.
    I think they look fine... Most people would say they look too baggy... but its hard to tell without being able to see how your upper body balances your jeans... if you have a large upper body and you like your jeans a little loose then they look fine... but you should seriously consider sizing down one or getting a different cut otherwise... also I prefer seeing jeans hanging a smidge lower on the hips... they are riding up your ass right now.
    Full body: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/...ca7d74.jpg?v=0

18. wahwho11

wahwho11 Senior member

Okay, I'm sure there's a thread for this but I can't find it. I am going to buy another pair of denim. what I'm look at are; Studio D'artisan D1335, Sugar cane Okinawa, or Samurai 5000vx. I'm leaning towards the sugarcane's because they are so unique. Any help?

19. unjung

unjung Senior member

They're actually quite tight in the thighs and I can barely sit and type this right now. Do you think it's the super long length that's making them appear loose?

Help me understand denim culture. Why did you buy such long jeans?

20. Orpheus

Orpheus Well-Known Member

Quick denim question: what purpose do ass darts (on Diors) serve? I've been wondering for a little bit since a couple posts up something someone said suggest they affect fit.