• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss suit

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Hello, just purchased a Hugo Boss suit for $140 + tax at the weekend Macys sale.
Im not sure if it still is going on. But the suit is a grey/blue color pinstripe Super 100s black label? Originally $900. It was the only one left and surprisingly in my size. But if you head over to the SC Macys there were plenty of other suits left at clearance prices like Aboud,Burberry and Boss.Just thought i share this.

IMGP2127.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why his having a Boss suit necessarily means he doesn't have other higher quality suits. You have some high quality stuff and some lower quality stuff in your wardrobe, and you have been reading the forums for a while.

In any event...

diorshoe - I think $140 for any kind of suit is a great deal. Boss is fused and doesn't have the most flattering cut for my particular body, but they use some nice fabrics. You definitely got a good deal.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Sounds like about the right price to pay for a new Boss suit. Maybe if you keep reading the forums you will aspire to a higher quality suit someday.

KB. He bought this Boss for 15% of retail. Granted Macy's $900 MSRP was "their MSRP"! Still I think he got a real bargain. Sure, Boss is not a premier brand, but it's usually stylish and I think he'll get a lot of value for $140.

I too aspire to higher quality someday! If I could get NWT Kitons and Brioni's at 15% of MSRP, I would buy some. NWT $3000-$4000 Kiton and Brioni suits for $450 to $600! Where can I do that? Perhaps on Ebay, but I know you are certainly not a fan of Ebay.

I for one do check your Blog and I am sincerely impressed. But may I ask, do you buy most of your stuff at full retail, or at deep discount, or how do you do it? I know you mention Filene's, Neimans Last Call, and Sak OF, often, as resorces for bargains. You are correct about this. But as has been pointed out, generally the desirable stuff is gone once it's down to 15% of retail.

You have said "a desirable(like a solid Navy) NWT Oxxford suit for $600, is priced high on Ebay", I wonder where can you consistently find better values. I have not seen them at Saks OF, Neiman's, Filene's, Bergdorf, etc!

Again, I enjoy your posts and view your Blog. If you have a way to assemble a wardrobe like you have done, at a deep discount, please share it if you would!

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Diorshoe, that looks like a nice suit, and it was a phenomenal deal at $140!!

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now see, if Boss retailed for that then we'd be behind them as a good budget option for those wanting to move from a Dillards suit to something with a bit more shape.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Maybe if you keep reading the forums you will aspire to a higher quality suit someday.

Perhaps you will aspire to politeness one day.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Now see, if Boss retailed for that then we'd be behind them as a good budget option for those wanting to move from a Dillards suit to something with a bit more shape.

Heck!! Even Dillards suits are more than $140(I Think). This was a great deal for a NWT suit! A $900 suit for $140 at the Dept. Store.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
thanks gentlemen.
the fabric is fine but im not too well versed in suits to describe the fabric. it says super 100 inside but ive felt their super 120 and it feels the same to me.
ive felt super 120 on other makes and it feels very luxurious.
the weight , i dont know , it feels average i guess.

i found out the macys sale keeps going on until tomorrow. perhaps you can check out your macys and see if they have any good deals.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is a great deal and a nice looking suit! Boss is a perfectly fine suit and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Is it fine at full retail? No... probably not even at half retail. A lot of the price is the branding. But, you can't even go to your local JC Penney's and get a suit for $140 and there is no comparison between Boss and any of these lower suits (for comparison, I helped one of my international students who needed a very inexpensive suit for an occasion at the University and it still cost him $149.99 and it was a poly/blend monstrosity that fit as flattering as a potato sack. But, I certainly wasn't going to recommend to this college kid who's already paying high tuition and is 6000 miles from home that he should "aspire" to a better suit).

Of course, some people who wear only Caraceni act like anybody who gets anything less is just wasting their time. But, don't worry about that. If you like the Boss cut and it works with your body, you'll look great. As well, it is a great all-purpose suit to keep in your wardrobe. Should you consider this the ultimate of suit buying and stop now? No, of course not... but you should also not be made to feel like you wasted your time and/or money.

And, best of all, if you ever decide to clean out your closet, you can probably wear it for two years and then get your money back (or better) by selling it on ebay.

John

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
That is a great deal and a nice looking suit! Boss is a perfectly fine suit and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Is it fine at full retail? No... probably not even at half retail. A lot of the price is the branding. But, you can't even go to your local JC Penney's and get a suit for $140 and there is no comparison between Boss and any of these lower suits (for comparison, I helped one of my international students who needed a very inexpensive suit for an occasion at the University and it still cost him $149.99 and it was a poly/blend monstrosity that fit as flattering as a potato sack. But, I certainly wasn't going to recommend to this college kid who's already paying high tuition and is 6000 miles from home that he should "aspire" to a better suit).

Of course, some people who wear only Caraceni act like anybody who gets anything less is just wasting their time. But, don't worry about that. If you like the Boss cut and it works with your body, you'll look great. As well, it is a great all-purpose suit to keep in your wardrobe. Should you consider this the ultimate of suit buying and stop now? No, of course not... but you should also not be made to feel like you wasted your time and/or money.

And, best of all, if you ever decide to clean out your closet, you can probably wear it for two years and then get your money back (or better) by selling it on ebay.

John

thanks John for the sensible comments.
i was not offended at all anyways, i just simply ignore past ignorant statements and move on.
i also know that buying boss suits at 500 dollars is still too much because i heard that the suits dont dry clean well due to the fused construction. so maybe after 4 or 5 dry cleans it may be unwearable , but for the moment the suit does look and wear nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads