• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit construction basic questions

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I know what the definition of canvas, half canvas and fused suits are, and I have heard plenty about the pinch test.
but I’m always afraid to do the pinch test because if a suit is fused, won’t the pinch test potentially pull/Unglue the outerlayer from the lining?

so today I took two suits that are too big and haven’t been worn in a while, was going to toss them, instead I cut them open.

first one is a low price lauren suit, Macy’s type purchase. I actually liked the suit a lot, found it wore well and was super comfortable.
but I always assumed it was a fused suit? Aren’t all those lauren and hifiger and boss suits at Macy’s fused?

it appears there is a half a canvas that goes just down to the button holes.

it did not appear to be glued to the front layer of fabric. There was a little mit of stitching that ran vertically down, but it didn’t feel like any glue or pulling or anything like that?

maybe I am just struggling to identify the characteristics of the lining in a fused or canvassed sense?

F1561EF5-C4CE-420C-921A-A8071E38CB02.jpeg
9EC400EA-B82B-41F9-B2FF-540EA1DFC4D5.jpeg
F1B432A2-4933-4ECE-B813-345D9F4DBBB1.jpeg
8F4007A3-0798-4034-990C-254AB32B8F7E.jpeg
168190A1-7403-4F27-8A45-D23DC9F24953.jpeg

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
The next one is a brooks brothers factory outlet 346. Probably have had this for 10+ years and it’s taken a beating and always held up well.
I always assumed it was a half canvas

it appears to have the floating middle lining, it was not glued to the front material, just some very light vertical stitching.

very similar to the lauren.

0F8EC313-7387-47FE-8F00-741C67945161.jpeg
52BC8DEF-BBE6-44C5-ADE4-C028DA76C1B6.jpeg
EE225F98-917D-4063-BCE5-75A0D68FC952.jpeg
View attachment 1599498

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A classic post that is well worth reading:

people often think that a "fully canvassed" or "half-canvassed" suit cannot have any fusing in it. The reality is that a half-canvas suit typically has fusing down the jacket fronts, and some fully canvassed suits have a very light ("skin") fusing if the fabric is light, though most fully canvassed suits have no fusible.

The black material running down the fronts of the Lauren Ralph Lauren suit is fusing.

The canvas in the chest might be a "floating chest piece" in a fully fused suit. My understanding (but I may be wrong) is that in a fully fused suit, the canvas does not extend into the lapel, while in a half-canvas suit the canvas extends into the lapel.

Pinch test works if you feel in the lower part of the jacket -- you will feel a floating canvas layer in a fully canvassed jacket. You shouldn't be able to pull the fusible away from the fronts if it is properly bonded.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
78FF4013-2386-4118-BAD0-0A7F67233F67.jpeg
A classic post that is well worth reading:

people often think that a "fully canvassed" or "half-canvassed" suit cannot have any fusing in it. The reality is that a half-canvas suit typically has fusing down the jacket fronts, and some fully canvassed suits have a very light ("skin") fusing if the fabric is light, though most fully canvassed suits have no fusible.

The black material running down the fronts of the Lauren Ralph Lauren suit is fusing.

The canvas in the chest might be a "floating chest piece" in a fully fused suit. My understanding (but I may be wrong) is that in a fully fused suit, the canvas does not extend into the lapel, while in a half-canvas suit the canvas extends into the lapel.

Pinch test works if you feel in the lower part of the jacket -- you will feel a floating canvas layer in a fully canvassed jacket. You shouldn't be able to pull the fusible away from the fronts if it is properly bonded.

i am sorry, I am still a little confused.
Are you saying that the thin black layer of fabric with the red arrow is the “fused” portion?

I thought That with a fused construction it was the white layer would be glued to the front material?

thanks a lot for the help.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Breakaway is correct. You can see the black fusing on the cloth you lifted away to see the chest piece. Both jackets are done the same way.
Half canvass construction is a fused jacket front with a chest piece added.
full canvass and the chest piece aren’t fused in place.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Breakaway is correct. You can see the black fusing on the cloth you lifted away to see the chest piece. Both jackets are done the same way.
Half canvass construction is a fused jacket front with a chest piece added.
full canvass and the chest piece aren’t fused in place.

thanks a lot for the info.

taking a closer look, I see both have a black lining that is not the same piece of material as the front/outer material of the suit.
to the touch it is indistinguishable (in terms of the connectivity of the two fabrics).

so If I have this correct, both these jackets are “half canvassed” which in turn still uses a fused layer between the white canvas and the outer material of the suit?

so a full canvas will not have any inner layer at all fused to the out material?

and a fully fused suit, it won’t even have that white floating layer?

39443AA4-F6E9-4646-920F-94852B80456A.jpeg
7A7C1A99-A439-43AA-831F-0E69AFB44021.jpeg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Half canvass is a fully fused construction. With a canvass chest piece. Fusing is bonded to the cloth with adhesives. It’s not a separate layer, it becomes a backing on the cloth

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks a lot for the info.

taking a closer look, I see both have a black lining that is not the same piece of material as the front/outer material of the suit.
to the touch it is indistinguishable (in terms of the connectivity of the two fabrics).

so If I have this correct, both these jackets are “half canvassed” which in turn still uses a fused layer between the white canvas and the outer material of the suit?

so a full canvas will not have any inner layer at all fused to the out material?

and a fully fused suit, it won’t even have that white floating layer?

Yes the black material is glued to the fabric -- you shouldn't be able to separate it from the fabric.

You might find a very thin/light fusing on fully canvassed jackets if the fabric is very light -- this helps to stabilize the fabric.

A fully fused suit can have a canvas chest piece. It does not extend into the lapel, however. Did you actually read the post that I linked?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Yes the black material is glued to the fabric -- you shouldn't be able to separate it from the fabric.

You might find a very thin/light fusing on fully canvassed jackets if the fabric is very light -- this helps to stabilize the fabric.

A fully fused suit can have a canvas chest piece. It does not extend into the lapel, however. Did you actually read the post that I linked?

thanks again for linking that thread. Really clears it up.
It’s funny, you google the topic and they have all those drawings of what the difference is, but none of them talk about the fusible skin or the fused actually having a floating canvas layer that is just smaller.

I always had a vision of the fused suits having that canvas glued to the front and that’s why after so many wears it just starts bubbling.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not speaking you to personally, but lots of people here talk up how important full canvas construction is, or how terrible fusing is, without really understanding what they are and how/why they are used. Glad you are learning something.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not speaking you to personally, but lots of people here talk up how important full canvas construction is, or how terrible fusing is, without really understanding what they are and how/why they are used. Glad you are learning something.

and certain brands have recognized this and use it as a marketing gimmick.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half canvass is a fully fused construction. With a canvass chest piece. Fusing is bonded to the cloth with adhesives. It’s not a separate layer, it becomes a backing on the cloth

Trying to understand the technical aspect of this then. Is it fair to say that there is a canvass layer, but it is secured with an adhesive vs. sewn in?

When we see the term “floating canvass”, does that then imply that it is sewn in vs. glued?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics