• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Then he should begin the SQUARE REVOLUTION.

It's been years and the suit/jacket revolution hasn't made any progress, so the square revolution is not going to happen. I've said many times that I like squares, I'm just not going to wear them to work. Thanks for the compliment on the suit though.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Tux Stain - this is in particular for you
@ericgereghty @pravda
and anyone else that supports the tartan plaid shirt with white contrast collar...

Understand that people who are being nice and professing that "if you really love the shirt you should keep it" are just flat out plain and simple WRONG in this situation.

In the case of this shirt it is an objective matter. The shirt is wrong. It is not subjective...the shirt may or may not be wrong or right depending on a given set of circumstances and preferences. The shirt is objectively wrong. It is an abomination. It is inherently conflicting in style and on a scale of formal/casual outfits. There is not a single outfit EVER...either with the most formal of suitings, odd jacket and trouser combination, or even a very casual menswear outfit sans jacket...where that shirt would be appropriate.

Just because you love something doesn't mean that it is right or that it will work. In the instance of this particular shirt...it will NEVER work...and for this reason and assuming you want to improve you would be wise to do away with said shirt.

There are the parents who baby their children and they grow up sheltered and incompetent and there are parents who expose their children to the world...the good and the bad...and they let their children make mistakes and learn from them.

This tartan plaid/contrast collar shirt is a mistake.

Learn from it...burn it...progress forward in a positive direction.

P.S. if you come back at me with some sweeping argument about methods of child-rearing then you are a lost cause because that is not the point of my argument.
All I would ask you is this: how many people in the real world are going to share that "objective" viewpoint with you? How many folks would say it simply does not, and will never, work, regardless of the setting.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think it's awful. But most of the world could give a ****-less in my estimation...so this objective nature of things you speak is a tad silly in my view.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Double Trouble Wednesday - DB with Double four-in-hand

Deets in my IG.

@Claghorn - Happy now?

Yes! Though that tie is awfully bright for that suit :)

Sweet bathroom pic:

Last edited:

colco

Reaction score

@Tux Stain - this is in particular for you @ericgereghty @pravda and anyone else that supports the tartan plaid shirt with white contrast collar... Understand that people who are being nice and professing that "if you really love the shirt you should keep it" are just flat out plain and simple WRONG in this situation. In the case of this shirt it is an objective matter. The shirt is wrong. It is not subjective...the shirt may or may not be wrong or right depending on a given set of circumstances and preferences. The shirt is objectively wrong. It is an abomination. It is inherently conflicting in style and on a scale of formal/casual outfits. There is not a single outfit EVER...either with the most formal of suitings, odd jacket and trouser combination, or even a very casual menswear outfit sans jacket...where that shirt would be appropriate. Just because you love something doesn't mean that it is right or that it will work. In the instance of this particular shirt...it will NEVER work...and for this reason and assuming you want to improve you would be wise to do away with said shirt. There are the parents who baby their children and they grow up sheltered and incompetent and there are parents who expose their children to the world...the good and the bad...and they let their children make mistakes and learn from them. This tartan plaid/contrast collar shirt is a mistake. Learn from it...burn it...progress forward in a positive direction. P.S. if you come back at me with some sweeping argument about methods of child-rearing then you are a lost cause because that is not the point of my argument.
Look, the shirt is clearly not good with a jacket or suit, and is certainly not "forum approved", but for petes sake, lighten up. With jeans or cords in a bar on the weekend it wouldn't be out of place at all. Take a deep breath. It's only a fashiony shirt, you know?

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
that particular shirt is horrible but we can't write off the concept of plaid/white collar entirely. that said, the only context I can imagine it working in would be as a tuxedo shirt in some kind of more formal plaid tartan, like dress stewart or, at a stretch, blackwatch. like imagine this with a white collar, and I'd say the result would at least be passable:

and the person wearing it should preferably be Scottish or of Scottish descent.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I would ask you is this: how many people in the real world are going to share that "objective" viewpoint with you? How many folks would say it simply does not, and will never, work, regardless of the setting.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think it's awful. But most of the world could give a ****-less in my estimation...so this objective nature of things you speak is a tad silly in my view.

People come to this forum to differentiate themselves from the rest of the world...in a pursuit of timeless and taste that falls under the umbrella of classic menswear. So...if you want to be a sheep lead to slaughter...leave the forum...don't give a **** about what people think...and continue looking awful with your ridiculous abomination of a shirt. If you want to learn about classic menswear and improve your personal style...then you will recognize the inherent conflict of this shirt and do away with it.

The problem with this shirt is that it mixes a strictly business contrast collar with a strictly casual tartan plaid shirt body. Its like oil and water. They don't mix. If the shirt was a blue shirt with a contrast collar...you're good to go...business style. If the shirt was a tartan plaid with polo collar...you're good to go again...smart casual...you could even mix in a tasteful tie to great effect.

Look, the shirt is clearly not good with a jacket or suit, and is certainly not "forum approved", but for petes sake, lighten up. With jeans or cords in a bar on the weekend it wouldn't be out of place at all.
Take a deep breath. It's only a fashiony shirt, you know?

False...simply the fact that is a contrast collar negates its utility in a casual bar/restaurant venue. The shirt is an abomination and is unsuitable in any possible situation.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that particular shirt is horrible but we can't write off the concept of plaid/white collar entirely. that said, the only context I can imagine it working in would be as a tuxedo shirt in some kind of more formal plaid tartan, like dress stewart or, at a stretch, blackwatch. like imagine this with a white collar, and I'd say the result would at least be passable:

and the person wearing it should preferably be Scottish or of Scottish descent.

Very nice example of a tartan plaid use in a more formal setting...but note no contrast collar.

And here is an example of a plaid used in a very casual setting...worn with great sprezz by the acclaimed menswear expert and author G. Bruce Boyer:

Again...note...the shirt reflects the casualness of his outfit and there is harmony. It is even more casual because it is a polo collar...and because Mr. Boyer intentionally neglects to button the collar.

IN CONCLUSION - a contrast collar will NEVER EVER work with a plaid shirt body. IT IS HYPOCRITICAL. AN ABOMINATION. IT SHOULD NEVER EVER BE WORN ANYWHERE. it should be burned.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People come to this forum to differentiate themselves from the rest of the world...in a pursuit of timeless and taste that falls under the umbrella of classic menswear. So...if you want to be a sheep lead to slaughter...leave the forum...don't give a **** about what people think...and continue looking awful with your ridiculous abomination of a shirt. If you want to learn about classic menswear and improve your personal style...then you will recognize the inherent conflict of this shirt and do away with it.

The problem with this shirt is that it mixes a strictly business contrast collar with a strictly casual tartan plaid shirt body. Its like oil and water. They don't mix. If the shirt was a blue shirt with a contrast collar...you're good to go...business style. If the shirt was a tartan plaid with polo collar...you're good to go again...smart casual...you could even mix in a tasteful tie to great effect.

False...simply the fact that is a contrast collar negates its utility in a casual bar/restaurant venue. The shirt is an abomination and is unsuitable in any possible situation.
Do people not comprise the rest of the world? Is that not where dude would be found in his shirt more often than in a thread serving as the extreme minority of overall people? I swear with the severity of your hatred for the shirt, you'd think the guy was wearing an "I HEART ********" shirt to a funeral. I've no doubt he could pair the shirt with just about anything in the real (sorry, that's where we all must live) world and receive compliments on it...which would do much to a) outrage the purists and b) piss on the notion of objectivity in the matter.

As I've stated, I find the shirt appalling, which is no different from the other tartan uses highlighted above. It's the absurdity of the severity in your statement of objective views that I find comical...

colco

Reaction score

Ok. You win the internet today big boy. Congrats.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you read what I wrote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren

imagine this with a white collar

Yes. But the the outfit would look better with a solid white shirt. Even a tartan cumberbund or bow tie with white shirt would look better than the plaid shirt.

A big fan of Mr. Boyer but to me, that outfit is AN ABOMINATION.

Mr. Boyer demonstrates his unique ability to create a harmonious outfit with a very challenging shirt. Are there better outfits?...surely. But when put to the task of actually incorporating a tartan plaid shirt into an outift...this is as good as it gets...and it works because the shirt is very casual. He had chosen a plaid shirt with white contrast collar...then it would be an utter failure.

Do people not comprise the rest of the world? Is that not where dude would be found in his shirt more often than in a thread serving as the extreme minority of overall people? I swear with the severity of your hatred for the shirt, you'd think the guy was wearing an "I HEART ********" shirt to a funeral. I've no doubt he could pair the shirt with just about anything in the real (sorry, that's where we all must live) world and receive compliments on it...which would do much to a) outrage the purists and b) piss on the notion of objectivity in the matter.

As I've stated, I find the shirt appalling, which is no different from the other tartan uses highlighted above. It's the absurdity of the severity in your statement of objective views that I find comical...

Sure...he can get compliments on it. He could probably even get compliments wearing an "I HEART ********" shirt to a funeral in the right situation. But that does not mean that the shirt is right. It is objectively a failure because it cannot fall into a distinct category of utility. It is inherently always in conflict with itself.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. But the the outfit would look better with a solid white shirt. Even a tartan cumberbund or bow tie with white shirt would look better than the plaid shirt.

Mr. Boyer demonstrates his unique ability to create a harmonious outfit with a very challenging shirt. Are there better outfits?...surely. But when put to the task of actually incorporating a tartan plaid shirt into an outift...this is as good as it gets...and it works because the shirt is very casual. He had chosen a plaid shirt with white contrast collar...then it would be an utter failure.

Sure...he can get compliments on it. He could probably even get compliments wearing an "I HEART ********" shirt to a funeral in the right situation. But that does not mean that the shirt is right. It is objectively a failure because it cannot fall into a distinct category of utility. It is inherently always in conflict with itself.
He can wear something that people can like and not be naked. Considering the latter is the basic function of clothing, it seems to me he has achieved the basic utility of clothing AND the notable perk of some folks liking it.

However, since nothing short of blind adherence to your views will suffice, let's just say you're right and be done with it.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He can wear something that people can like and not be naked. Considering the latter is the basic function of clothing, it seems to me he has achieved the basic utility of clothing AND the notable perk of some folks liking it.

However, since nothing short of blind adherence to your views will suffice, let's just say you're right and be done with it.

Correct. He has clothed himself...though even this is not necessary in some societies...i.e., many towns in Vermont have no law prohibiting public nudity. In fact, upon the discovery of this omission of law...there were large groups of citizens who proudly displayed themselves in the town common places.

But, let's not dodge the real matter here. This is not the "one shirt" that works with all outfits and always will. This is an ideal much like Plato's forms...but we are not perfect...we can not reach such a lofty ideal. And so there are some shirts that are inherently better than others. But this shirt...falls at the very bottom rung...because it cannot achieve success in a business outfit...and it cannot achieve success in a casual outfit. It cannot achieve real harmony within an outfit anywhere...because it in and of itself lacks harmony.

There is a time and a place for a contrast collar just as there is for a plaid shirt. But there is never a time and a place for a plaid shirt with a contrast collar.

Simply put...there are myriad options that work better...hence this shirt is a less than optimal choice.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads