• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Elegant 

Thanks, P.

FWIW though, I do still feel that critiques carry more weight when they come from people with a proven track record of putting together great fits.

I mostly share this sentiment, with the caveat that sometimes, critiques from posters who never post fits is indeed spot on. It still sits poorly with me from time to time. Phrasing plays a large part of it too.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, P.
I mostly share this sentiment, with the caveat that sometimes, critiques from posters who never post fits is indeed spot on. It still sits poorly with me from time to time. Phrasing plays a large part of it too.

I agree. It doesn't matter to me whether they've posted fits or not but the way the critique is framed and delivered counts more to me.

It's hard to see the good advice if it's hidden behind a wall of snark.

For example, I don't think I've seen a single fit from Ed Morel but I would take his advice seriously.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, you can go to the Panta site and see Ed's taste in action...

PiCcolocV

Reaction score
53b4c93ddac1156c11f31f54beebeb47.jpg

Woah... deetz on tie?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:Originally Posted by in stitches Thanks, P.
There's plenty of context that says Ed's a real authority - not just clothes either
shog[1].gif

What's bizarre is posters who give all sorts of advice but still post fits even a bum wouldn't wear.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father's jacket. AE Manduca - Canali - Personality Milano - Paolo Albizzati - Omega - Stefano Corsini - Bresciani - Canali Edit: added this kewl full-fit shot

Last edited:

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Pliny, did you post an inherited jacket this year also? Somebody posted a light check jacket earlier this year that was also really nice.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pliny, did you post an inherited jacket this year also? Somebody posted a light check jacket earlier this year that was also really nice.
not me. b good to see it tho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads