• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday and Today. I am really starting to get into a pattern.

Lancaster

Reaction score

Exactly! If you can look good with 'non SF approved' labels like Jos A Bank or whatever, then extra points!

It's often said that a well fitting well tailored 'cheaper' suit can look infinitely better than a poorly fitting 'haute' brand, and I believe this to be true.

True, although I have to confess that I selected brand obsession as my personal folly, and finding a deal as my sport. As a result, my wardrobe is a study in fine fabrics and makes that are beautiful, incoherent and rarely fit. But they were all amazing deals.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Braddock you're really putting that suit to good use, lately!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

O c'mon Crust, tell us all. The fit looks nice and who cares about the labels? Show us that great style can do something nice with whatever life hands it. (Anyway, you have nothing to be scared of as no one is judging
263a.png
)

No judgments here? Your tongue must be firmly planted in your cheek, or you've had a surfeit of hallucinogens this morning . . .

True, although I have to confess that I selected brand obsession as my personal folly, and finding a deal as my sport. As a result, my wardrobe is a study in fine fabrics and makes that are beautiful, incoherent and rarely fit. But they were all amazing deals.

I know the impulse only too well - a need to figure out how to use finely made oddball articles of attire. I've learned after long years of experience that it is usually better to step away from the markdown, unless one is absolutely certain of the rightness of the garment.

Note to young Mr. Noodle - the thing to which you referred in your thumbs up comment is a collar pin, and I employ a proper collar pin only with shirts constructed to take such, i.e., made with holes in the collar for them. As to why - I find them decorative, and retro details such as this seem to work with my appearance and my generally owlish mien.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand the obsession, but I don't see how anything that doesn't (or can't) fit you can be considered an amazing deal.

Last edited:

Lancaster

Reaction score

I understand the obsession, but I don't see how anything that doesn't (or can't) fit you can be considered an amazing deal.

Weeeel, it depends on what enters your calculous in determining if an article is a deal. With my obsession with sartorial makers (along with texture) i tend to weight a discount heavily, more so than fit. This holds true at least at the time of purchase. Once the article is safely in my posession the flaws in my calculous are quickly revealed and I tend to take your view of what's a good deal.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I understand the obsession, but [COLOR=FF00AA]I don't see how anything that doesn't (or can't) fit you can be considered an amazing deal.[/COLOR]

+100

Chulillo

Reaction score

I love the clothes, the fit and everything... really really nice outfit but I have a quick question, for Braddock or anyone else who knows the answer. Why is it a fashion trend now to show both ends of the ties...??? Does it have any meaning? Or it is just because some trendsetter started to wear ties like that and it cought on and now a lot of people do it??
I mean no harm with my question, it is an honest doubt I have.
Thanks in advance to whoever answers me.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love the clothes, the fit and everything... really really nice outfit but I have a quick question, for Braddock or anyone else who knows the answer. [COLOR=FF00AA]Why is it a fashion trend now to show both ends of the ties...??? [/COLOR]Does it have any meaning? Or it is just because some trendsetter started to wear ties like that and it cought on and now a lot of people do it??
I mean no harm with my question, it is an honest doubt I have. 
Thanks in advance to whoever answers me. 

It's just personal/individual style.

Some people leave a button or 2 unbuttoned on jacket sleeves.
Some people always wear braces.
Some people always wear white shirts.
Some people always wear bow-ties.
Etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads