HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Even I have to keep people guessing from time to time.

However, I will add, I know that there are phrases that I like that probably make other people want to barf. I think that's just the way of silly phrases. To me they mostly all fall in the live and let live category.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  2. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

3. AJL

AJL Senior member

Love this jacket, and all the component pieces are also quite nice, but the shirt and tie seem to be fighting each other. Not sure if it's more a question of scale or color, or possibly a combination of both. I like the shirt, I like the tie, just not together.

I agree, the socks appear to have been a happy mistake.

Btw, I notice you've been sporting Ring Jacket SC's almost exclusively lately, and I think they look terrific on you. May I inquire as to your source? I notice you sometimes list Khaki's of Carmel in your rundown (trous?), though I was there earlier this week and didn't see a very extensive selection. I think the Armoury has a better selection from what I've seen. Are these custom?

4. AJL

AJL Senior member

True, along with "kop" which you (stitch) may, or may not have woven into the SF fabric, and regardless which I would like to think will soon run its course, at least with me. While we're at it "trews" is another one I've been guilty of using but am more than ready to discard. Trous may be right behind it (though I just used it above, meh).

5. Lancaster

Lancaster Senior member

@in sitches

Stiches, is it supposed to be kop, chop or khop?

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

It's "kop" or "cop".

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's
    Purchase
    Poll
    Thread
    More

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

And "bro".

9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Looks a bit muddled up to me. Light coloured cotton jacket with what looks like a thick, chunky wool cardi. So if anything the coat is the issue not the trousers.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I like AAS's style, he has refined his "preppy/ivy" taste quite well but many times he (and others) would benefit from Coco Chanel's advice (paraphrasing), "look at yourself in the mirror once you are dressed and then take one item off". The cord vest in the previous fit is bizarre.

11. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Thanks, Ed. I see where you're both coming from. I should really invest in some more spring layering pieces. It's been in the 60s and 70s and it's spring now. I'm trying to stay warm and get into the season. If it's any consolation, the grey cardigan is a vest.

12. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Anyone who denies there's such a thing as 'SF Groupthink' should examine the crap trends that can grow on here like weeds. Deliberate mis-spelling like those mentioned above, also 'lurk moar', 'teh', 'mang' and 'threak'. Thankfully I haven't seen the despicable 'broseph' in some time. This business with the long back blade of the tie has been discussed at length - it might have been going on for a while but seems more prolific these days. When I see a pic like Clags' today, or observe it in real life, I just think to myself 'what a pity that fella has amassed a wealth of knowledge about men's clothing and no small amount of enviable threads, and yet he hasn't even mastered the simple act of tieing a tie properly which most schoolboys manage at age seven.'

13. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

AS, if you had a darker tie, it would help balance out the bottom half.

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Why do you have to layer? The first pic, you have a loud patterned shirt, tie and pants (by loud I just mean very noticeable). Why the cord vest? Less is more when you dress the way you do. You like patterns/colors and you have an eye for it, but every piece you wear doesn't have to be in your face, When the top is loud (shirt/tie), keep the bottom quiet and vice versa. When you are as good as you in wearing patterns/colors, its easy to want to wear 4-5 patterns in one fit. Keep it to two max and you'll find balance with the earth.

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ Why does anyone even comment on his fits anymore? He always wears wacky combos like that and just does what he does.

Speaking of which… we have lost many of the old skool posters whose use of "pen0r" was varied and prolific. I miss the old days.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015