• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Autofocus was being a dick today

Is that a houndstooth PS with a houndstooth shirt?
smile.gif

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yup!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Merry Xmas Braddock.
smile.gif
awsm
Wait, do you guys move around? I get dressed, take pictures then simply stand around for a while in my apartment before getting undressed again so I can post the pictures on the Internet.
rotflmao.gif

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but I would love to see some fits by @Tried and True .

I kind of imagine T&T as a genial elder statesman sitting quietly in his Florida bungalow, surrounded by classic bespoke Henry Poole, A&S, Huntsman etc that will, alas, never be worn again, his passion for fine craftsmenship channelled into on-line menswear critique.

The silhouettes, the proportions, the materials, the innovation, are leap years ahead of menswear, for a variety of reasons. I can see how lessons from womenswear can be applied, and are, to womenswear. Most of the diffusion seems to come by way of the more conceptual designers, then to the more mainstream designers, and then to classic menswear. What classic menswear has though, that SWD and womenswear does not have, is the extreme rigour and emphasis on precision, which is incredible and quite unforgiving.

That's a really interesting assertion. Makes sense to me too- women's fashion is much bigger biz with a higher and faster turnover of merchandize demanding constant renewal. MC as a subset of menswear is the polar opposite, the focus, as u say, on extreme precision, and permissible innovation in the suit over the last 3-4 decades is imperceptible to all but a few hobbyists like ourselves- gorges moving up and down by a few centimetres, lapels expanding and shrinking. We're a reactionary lot.

Edit: Not sure why I wasn't smiling today.

looking good there ht. Do u in fact sing?

Did u sleep in that? Impeccable otherwise of course.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a really interesting assertion. Makes sense to me too- women's fashion is much bigger biz with a higher and faster turnover of merchandize demanding constant renewal. MC as a subset of menswear is the polar opposite, the focus, as u say, on extreme precision, and permissible innovation in the suit over the last 3-4 decades is imperceptible to all but a few hobbyists like ourselves- gorges moving up and down by a few centimetres, lapels expanding and shrinking. We're a reactionary lot.
Womenswear has had long tradition of innovation. Menswear historically tends to evolved extremely slowly, and is marked by irreversible step changes. On the other hand, shapes, styles, and even garments, in womenswear are put aside and picked up again on regular basis and experimented upon. There is essentially no reactionary movement in womenswear because the "baseline" is so fluid as to be non-existent. I feel that men can learn from women, and vice versa, at least insofar has how to approach dressing.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking good there ht. Do u in fact sing?

Not seriously for some time, and not very well ever. I love opera and had delusions of grandeur in college, but wasn't gifted with a particularly lovely or powerful voice. Still love the art and the genre, though, and I pick my way though some Schubert, Schumann, and Beethoven song cycles now and again (a far cry from Wagner!).

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
More consensus on what looks good in MC. When I go to the Sartorialist I find I react as much to the facial expression, the context, the body language of the women as much as I do to the clothes, which defy objective critique.

Not seriously for some time, and not very well ever. I love opera and had delusions of grandeur in college, but wasn't gifted with a particularly lovely or powerful voice. Still love the art and the genre, though, and I pick my way though some Schubert, Schumann, and Beethoven song cycles now and again (a far cry from Wagner!).

Fan here too. I'm in love with Cecilia Bartoli.
Did some light opera but never serious. Being a working tenor is my dream career.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More consensus on what looks good in MC. When I go to the Sartorialist I find I react as much to the facial expression, the context, the body language of the women as much as I do to the clothes, which defy objective critique.
Well, clothes are nothing without the person and the place.

One of the fundamental misunderstandings that I find in CM, is that there are suits and sportsjacket that can be considered "pre-step change" and those that should be considered "post step change." To criticize one for not being the other does not really make for an interesting or enlightening discussion. I think that it's a useful exercise to distinguish one from the other, and criticize them only in context.

There has been a fundamental change in the way men dress in the past half century or so. No amount of wailing will reverse this. We will inevitably go to a different paradigm, but it will most assuredly not be the paradigm 80 years ago.

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a full picture unfortunately, they all turned out awful. From valentines day:

pants are a bit rumpled from trying to take the picture

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would suggest lacing your shoes differently. As is, they are laced like tennis shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads