• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I use bar lacing (dont know if that's what it's called, but it sounds good) for balmorals. And something similar to what he did for some of my bluchers. Looks better with bluchers because if the increased space between eyelets. Use bar lacing for other bluchers.

I have heard it called oxford lacing.

In any case, almost all my dress shoes are laced bar/oxford, but I do find that the standard way where the lacing is essentially done with one lace and the other goes diagonally across from the bottom hole to about the top one really hurts my foot. It feels very tight and constricting, so I use alternative methods to get the bar/oxford lace done.

On my more casual shoes, aka, my bluchers, I do the cross lacing, but not like the ones in schmitts pic. I go over and under so I get one bar at the bottom and then 2 "X"'s above the bar. I think it looks less busy and more relaxed.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice CM!

Dressing down the suit. Take 3:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I think outfit 2 was my fave.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's super cool EFV. I've never seen a use of an avocado green shirt that I liked, until now.

Incidentally, have you noticed that we seem to post at roughly the same time?

Cheers! Haha, yeah, that thought just popped into my head as well.

Nice. I think outfit 2 was my fave.

Hmm, I'll wait and see which one gets most thumbs :lurk: (so far fit no1 is in the lead).

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is, @EFV , with giving us these previews of what you're consider entering for the FC, the rest of us may just as well not bother to turn up... Maybe we should just change it in a poll which one of your fits we like best!
tongue.gif

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The thing is, @EFV
, with giving us these previews of what you're consider entering for the FC, the rest of us may just as well not bother to turn up... Maybe we should just change it in a poll which one of your fits we like best! :p

:lol: I think there may be some great fits posted in the FC this weekend + there are already some really good entries (Kulata's DB + turtleneck is awesome), so I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today.

Suit - Whitcomb & Shaftesbury (MTM)
Shirt - Turnbull & Asser (MTM)
Tie - Harvie & Hudson
PS - Kent Wang
Socks - Charles Tyrwhitt
Shoes - Allen Edmonds

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hmm, I'll wait and see which one gets most thumbs :lurk: (so far fit no1 is in the lead).

That is something that I have taken note of in the past, and I have noticed that there is not always a correlation between the winner of the FC and which fit got the most thumbs in WAYWRN. Justsayin.

:)

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, could a couple of you please let me know which of these shoes looks better from a more "classic menswear" perspective? I'm looking at a new pair of shoes and can't decide between these two:

They're both within my price range and I think they're pretty nice-looking shoes.

Thanks!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top pair, but they both lean towards MC casual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads