• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like having more old guard back in here. Keep it up, guys.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So long as it's not about me anymore.

jj-moody

Reaction score
Tie looks green, but anyway I was thinking more of the cut. I don't know where Spoo gets his clothes or who makes them but they all seem to have the same "issues" for me: very puffed out chest, too-tight waist, too open above the button and more of a "U" rather than "V" shape, overall a look of a short front balance and the impression that the coat is riding up and off the neck.

Spoo seems to have a signature fit. I am no proponent of his style, but I am wondering if these criticisms are based in reality or some kind of circle jerk forum kind of mentality. All of you more senior members did pile on to "protect" luftvier's obviously flawed fits, so I don't see so much reason being employed here.

First question, 'very puffed out chest'. This implies the chest is puffed out and exaggerated. Don't see it, how so?
'Too tight waist': The waist is hardly too tight, perhaps the rise on his trousers is low, but it is not so easy to tell from that picture.
Too open above the button, more of a U than a V shape: No

Despos has a really sharp eye. I had not even noticed the altered lapels until he mentioned it. If he could weigh in I think the criticisms would be more balanced.

jj-moody

Reaction score
From what I can see, the fashion industry picks a few classic things to push every season, often with a tragic and incorrect 'twist'...

One one hand they are silly because what's new about a double-breasted suit or wingtips?

But then they have to 'improve' something that's long been perfected to justify its 'newness' which is even worse.

It's all marketing and fairly irrelevant to people on this forum.

Except whenever something's 'in', I try to avoid it for a few years lest I appear to be following any of these 'trends'.

I guess I fell for the blue watch face trend by picking up an omega hr vision. Anyways, the line between fashion and 'classic men's style' isn't always as clear as you think. Everything thing you do is context dependent, classic rules of dress do not apply the way they did or else you'd wear your tailcoat and walking stick more often. And trying to seem not be following a trend is a bad as following the trend. If you have matured in your tastes you know what you like regardless of what is fashionable or not.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spoo seems to have a signature fit. I am no proponent of his style, but I am wondering if these criticisms are based in reality or some kind of circle jerk forum kind of mentality. All of you more senior members did pile on to "protect" luftvier's obviously flawed fits, so I don't see so much reason being employed here.
First question, 'very puffed out chest'. This implies the chest is puffed out and exaggerated. Don't see it, how so?
'Too tight waist': The waist is hardly too tight, perhaps the rise on his trousers is low, but it is not so easy to tell from that picture.
Despos has a really sharp eye. I had not even noticed the altered lapels until he mentioned it. If he could weigh in I think the criticisms would be more balanced.
Some of it is preference, yes. GQ's preference right now is for absurdly tight clothing. But that doesn't mean it fits by traditional standards. At a certain point, a guy has to decide what he's going for. Personally, I think tweaking the traditional fit standards can be OK, even interesting ... if the resulting combination looks like a cohesive whole. Thom Browne has a look, though I don't care for it. But too often, what we see here are guys squeezing themselves into clothes that just look too small or ill-fitting or unflattering on their builds. The guys who are most successful at playing around with proportion generally have an excellent grasp on the traditional proportions and a strong understanding of their body types. So, in short, it depends partly on your perspective. But, at the same time, that doesn't invalidate the traditional guidelines for how clothes should fit.

Last edited:

Quarks

Reaction score
Spoo is a mannequin. His attire is too perfect each time. Same poses. I'm not even sure if he is real. I doubt so. He is fictitious.

As for Spoo's attire being of a "very puffed out chest, too-tight waist, too open above the button and more of a "U" rather than "V" shape, overall a look of a short front balance and the impression that the coat is riding up and off the neck."
I wonder what you see through your eyes, I wouldnt want to know.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

ojfc. yes, everything must be a "circle jerk." Look, considering your repeated complaints about, oh, it seems, everyone who voices any criticism in this thread, I took care to be both polite and non-snarky and very specific. Lufty's cloths do not have any obvious fit problems and they show none of the issues of spoo's that I identify above. If you want to call all of these silhouette and not fit issues, that's fine, though the front balance issue at a minimum is definitely fit. In any case, I took care to say that I don't like spoo's cut not the fit. I have also said that I am not in love with Lufty's sack silhouette either though I do think it is superior to spoo's and looks more tasteful, elegant, restrained, etc. It also closes better in front, does not look like it's riding up or pulling at the waist. I would prefer to see more of a draped chest with a trimmer hip and a slightly reduced waist on him, a la A&S or Neapolitan drape coat because that is what I like. Are we still allowed to talk about what we like here or is that now considered "rude"? :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads