HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

UC owns again. i usually dislike shadow stripes, but it works.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

2. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think one unfair thing is that pics and reality are not the same. Luft DOES LOOK VERY LUMPY in pictures. In motion and reality, loose clothing as it is there does NOT look like that. I think luft is fine. Spoo probably wears things a little too tight. I do too. However, the problem is that in reality it looks pretty good to MOST people too.

Luft, it may be that I'm deceived by the pics but I don't think you have the kind of proportional drop that spoo does. I'm MUCH shorter than Spoo but wear the same size as him. You look like you have very little muscle mass to be honest. I don't mean it as an insult, I just mean that that the way you dress does not make you look like you have the drop you're claiming. 8" drop is body-builder level. Are you weightlifting 3-4 times a week? 6" is pretty much the upper limit for people that don't workout very regularly and even that is pretty high compared to most.

(also yes manton is right about sacks, though sacks do own in a way)

3. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

First thanks for the detailed response. since socks are technically underwear and rarely seen in the context of a man's attire i have never thought it elicits the same level of attention unlike ties/ps/jackets etc. Also there are some really great sock makers who have smooth textured socks. Not disagreeing with you per se, but trying to parse the response through my head and "see your point"

In my humble opinion this sounds more like personal preference. Spoo chose green, someone else may have chosen brown to match the shoes, or beige to match the pants (ie following the rule of elongating the legs etc etc).

In conclusion, although i see what you are saying, i feel like it is too minute to elicit a "good God" comment (and maybe it was from Ed; not you). When i initially saw the comment I had to do a double take to check out the spoiler tags, because I thought Spoo had on pink socks or something. The green IMO is mundane, complements both khaki and chocolate brown (and yes does pick off the tie ... hard pressed to call that a bad/terrible thing).

also how is blue "almost always" right? is it almost always right because blue is a universally accepted color for men's wear, or is it right because it is a non-intrusive color (ie not a pink, orange etc)?

Maybe separating feedback related to personal preference from classic rules might help "un-muddy" the waters a little more.

Thoughts?

4. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Could be just the picture...? Suit is charcoal w/blue overchecks.

5. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

:nest: also, lufty does post head-shots every once in awhile. i also wouldn't say his suits make him look fat at all - quite the opposite in fact.

6. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

7. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

I was surprised the first time i met Spoo ... he really looks no way close to the way he looks in his shots ... in a good way. I do see the bowing in the chest sometimes (one fit from last week comes to mind), especially right after vacation. However again after meeting him I have chalked a lot of his "fit issues" down to poor photography/pose. People put on and lose weight all the time, and that combined with tailored clothes and still photography are a perfect recipe for SF backlash.

Personally, if i see someone who has worn the same suit before suddenly post a picture in it looking bad, I wont overreact and say ''oh man this looks terrible'' ... i will definitely not praise, but will chalk it down to fluctuation in weight/pose/photography, see how things look down the road and see if the issue persists.

We are all not Vox - who has maintained his same weight for the last 20+ years .... lol.

8. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

you smell like stale marlboros, hooker spit and cocaine too?!

or tom ford tuscan leather? ;)

either way, i smell pretty awesome. hahaha

9. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Be careful, if you say He Who Shall Not Be Named too much he'll find you.

I have found that all people who have met me in person have said that I look MUCH (yes, not just a little but MUCH) better in person. I always thought I cheated things and made myself look great in pics but always feel surprised when I hear that.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't recall the last time I wore non-navy socks, outside sports or black tie.

11. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

good advice. was thinking about this today...Ive seen navy ties/navy suits or sportcoats on others but everytime i try it I feel off. I think because im usually wearing a patterned or light blue shirt. white may help out.

12. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I should have used obvious forum sarcasm font.
    No offense taken. If' we're talking body measurement terms, versus suit sizes, then you're likely right. I haven''t any idea when my actual body measurements are. I am slim and have no real desire to build muscle mass. ::shrug::
    Does this make me a twink? Should I be offended?

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Ah, so you subscribe to the "one sock" theory ;)

14. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Definitely some kind of issue with the shoulder line here, but maybe it has to do with losing some heft there as you say. Great purple socks though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.