1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hira's Fashion

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Strawfut, Jun 10, 2010.

1. SMatthews

SMatthews Well-Known Member

Are they father and son tailors?

2. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

I have yet to experience any of the major errors others have reported. To date, I have had three odd jackets, seven suits and twenty-one shirts made. "Quality" bespoke tailoring in Canada is almost non-existent. I could travel to America where the options are greater but at this point I do not have the time nor inclination to do so. So, from a rational viewpoint I decided to take a chance with Hiras and will continue to work with them.

Developing a relationship with any tailor is a process and it takes time to finally get the fit dialed in. My initial jackets and suits were fine and only a few tweaks were required. I even provided them with a pair of trousers to serve as a prototype which they faithfully replicated. Sorry Epaulet!

I did return my first shirt order for a redo because the right cuff dimension was off and they made it right.

The biggest frustration is fabric selection; the books change from visit to visit and often they do not have what I am looking for. I think most people who use them buy their package deals with cheaper but serviceable suiting. While they do have "luxury" offerings from Holland and Sherry and the like they are oblivious (at least it seems to me) about Minnis, Fox and other English mills. It has been a pain to find acceptable flannels. The fitter has no concept about fabric weight. Their coating fabrics are quite thin especially for Canada. Life ain't perfect. However to their credit they have said I could do CMT.

So, is it perfect? No, but all it has cost me (beyond the reasonable prices) has been the time i take to ensure they understand and meet my expectations.

My two cents.

3. hamiltonharris

hamiltonharris New Member

4. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

What is going on in this thread? Lol

5. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

Looks like a bunch of (understandably) cranky Hiras customers.

I always wondered how this traveling "bespoke" stuff worked. My own experience with MTM and custom tailoring is that it takes quite a number of tweaks to get things the way you want. I find this to be especially true with full custom tailoring, where I have never had the process take less than 5 or so sessions, from basted fitting onwards, before everything was to my liking (the end results are remarkable, but it is not a process for the impatient). Hiras claim they are making fully custom suits with no set pattern, but how do they do the basted fitting, which is (based on my limited knowledge of tailoring) critical in establishing your actual working pattern, if they just run off with your measurements? Even when getting far more basic MTM at, for example, BB or Paul Stuart, it usually takes multiple adjustments before things fit well.

I don't get how taking some measurements and then mailing a finished garment is going to work out well.

6. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

It usually doesn't. It's not unusual that further alterations or complete remakes are necessary.

7. symantix

symantix Member

I've just discovered this site, and found this thread. I've been using Hira's since 1999 when Chand Hira (the father, I believe) came to LA and was doing fittings out of a Travelodge next to LAX. It was scary to be sure, but at that time I only paid $500 for a luxury-line wool fabric and was pleased as punch. That suit is still in like-new condition and is in full rotation in my wardrobe today. Since then, I have ordered several additional suits and over a dozen shirts. My wife also ordered about 4 suits and around 10 shirts.

Both of us have had nothing but exceptional experiences with the fit and quality of all garments from Hiras.

Biggest gripe I have is that there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the pricing. Depending on which tailor is visiting (I believe it is always a family member, at least on the West Coast USA) and how much you feel like negotiating, the price can vary quite dramatically.

The styles offered are most definitely "old school". I've yet to try them for a modern fitting suit. Seems to me like most of the complaints here are from people who wanted to match another style of suit, as opposed to picking it from Hira's style book.

Their shirts fit like Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit, but slightly more generous in the chest and slightly trimmer through the waist - which is to say, like a (perfectly proportioned) glove.

8. goodreason

goodreason New Member

I've had three suits made by Hira's, and I love them. Very comfortable, and no hassles. Andy was the one who took my measurements.

I'm getting the waistcoats to match. My experience has been very positive.

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Pics or it didn't happen.

10. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

I receive spam from these Hiras from time to time. Keep marking the emails as junk but this does not help. I've never come across such stubbion tailors before.

11. Hiras Fashion

Hiras Fashion Senior member

Dear Jbravo

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please feel to PM us your email address and we'll ensure to have it removed. Alternatively, you may also email us at info@hiras.com

12. Hiras Fashion

13. hamiltonharris

hamiltonharris New Member

Update - My complaint with Hira's was resolved - so I don't have any outstanding issue with them.

14. cosmicjunkie

cosmicjunkie New Member

Hey this looks like a great suit
    [​IMG]

15. Elizabeth Leete

Elizabeth Leete New Member

I ordered a suit from HIira in April 2013. It came and was at least one size too small. They refused to take it back, claimed they would re-fit, offered me one appointment for a date when I would be out of town. I am attempting to get the charge reversed on my credit card.

16. Hiras Fashion

Dear Elizabeth

We are very sorry to hear about the problem with your suit. But pls be rest assured we will always take every step to re-fit, and alter your suits until they are to your satisfaction. In order to get the size fixed, our fitter needs to re-measure you. This is a common process with Bespoke Tailoring and once we get the alterations correct, all future orders will fit perfectly as we keep all our client measurements on file. We visit major cities 12 times a year, and smaller cities 6 times a year. Please send us an email at info@hiras.com and we can give you the next schedule for your area to have the issue resolved.

Best regards
    Hiras Fashion

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  17. Hiras Fashion

Hiras Fashion has a fresh new look this year. Please visit http://www.hiras.com for our newly revamped website.

Better. Brighter. Bespoke.

[​IMG]

18. abcde

abcde New Member

1st post and ALL POSITIVE about Hira's Fashion. Since 1999 and its still like new condition? LOL

19. abcde

abcde New Member

1st post and ALL POSITIVE about Hira's Fashion. Since 1999 and its still like new condition? LOL

20. WhySpam

WhySpam New Member

If you are so respectable, why do you send so much unsolicted email spam?

Right now you're bombarding my mail server going thru our entire user list, all rejected, but still... nobody opted in to your emails.