• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice find. Are they on commando soles? How do the soles feel compared to wensum?
Thanks, yes these are on commando soles. My first impression, based on wearing these for a minute or two, is commando is softer than wensum. The material also feels softer to the touch.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Thanks, yes these are on commando soles. My first impression, based on wearing these for a minute or two, is commando is softer than wensum. The material also feels softer to the touch.

Wow, more comfortable? I find Wensum (single) to be very flexible and comfortable, on par with their leather soles.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, more comfortable? I find Wensum (single) to be very flexible and comfortable, on par with their leather soles.

Single wensum is very light, flexible and comfortable. I also enjoy the double wensum soles on my Canterbury. The material on commando certainly feels softer to the touch, however I haven't worn these enough to say these are more comfortable. Probably need to wear the boots outside (vs carpeted floors at home) to truly asses comfort level.

Btw, the leather midsole is very slim. Comparable to the midsole on my Burnham (single wensum)

Last edited:

unprocessed

Reaction score
@unprocessed - In my experience, Commando soles feel less comfortable for me longer period of time compared to double wensum soles but YMMV.

Thanks. I’m very tempted to pull the trigger on Urban Commandos in chestnut English grain and feel like they need the commando soles, but hesitating with concerns they’ll be noticeably less comfortable and not see much wear. Other option is to take advantage of their Chukka sale or get a dressier Canterbury boot.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I’m very tempted to pull the trigger on Urban Commandos in chestnut English grain and feel like they need the commando soles, but hesitating with concerns they’ll be noticeably less comfortable and not see much wear. Other option is to take advantage of their Chukka sale or get a dressier Canterbury boot.
I don’t think they are so uncomfortable that you can’t wear them for long period of time but feel more heavier and if you are walking in them a lot then they are less comfortable than double wensum soles. IMHO those Urban Commando boots are a unique G&G must haves in my book.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I don’t think they are so uncomfortable that you can’t wear them for long period of time but feel more heavier and if you are walking in them a lot then they are less comfortable than double wensum soles. IMHO those Urban Commando boots are a unique G&G must haves in my book.

Saw your dark beluga pair on Instagram, which look amazing. Out of curiosity, has the dark brown patina gotten lighter over the years with polishing and wear?

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw your dark beluga pair on Instagram, which look amazing. Out of curiosity, has the dark brown patina gotten lighter over the years with polishing and wear?
Thank you, to be honest I haven’t worn them a lot due to my very big rotation and last 3 years it’s been a mix of working from home/office. For crust/patina leather I don’t usually treat them with cream/polish a lot and mostly treat them with Bick 4 to maintain the patina/color of the shoe.

Last edited:

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glencoe

R18 last

Oak Hatch

Wensym sole

86566AF0-CC89-4090-948E-3BC58118732C.jpeg
7F02990B-ECF3-4A49-8F37-6AE02D7CB690.jpeg

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I have a question about the Deco square last. I own two TG73s, and there's a Deco Strand available in my size. However, I find the Deco last to be ridiculously elongated, to the point that they look like elf shoes. Am I the only one who feels that the Deco last aesthetic is exaggerated to the point where they are unwearable?

heelguy

Reaction score
Glencoe

R18 last

Oak Hatch

Wensym sole

View attachment 1880290 View attachment 1880291
Those are beautiful. I had an Arran MTO which was supposed to be Oak Hatch but looks much more like a dark Rioja/walnut cross. I should have sent them back but didn’t. Have to figure out who to send them to so that they can do something to make them look more like these.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I have a question about the Deco square last. I own two TG73s, and there's a Deco Strand available in my size. However, I find the Deco last to be ridiculously elongated, to the point that they look like elf shoes. Am I the only one who feels that the Deco last aesthetic is exaggerated to the point where they are unwearable?

I had the same exact concern as you originally. Then I ordered Savile single monks and loved them. Ordered a pair of Burnham Chelseas on both TG73 and Square deco, and the deco looks very sleek. Just placed a new order for boots this week on square deco.

Attachments

• D2779437-9105-4331-A3ED-739D5971CDB4.jpeg
    D2779437-9105-4331-A3ED-739D5971CDB4.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 121

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads