• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a hard thing to balance.
The balancing act of tailoring and shoes is, I think, under appreciated and not discussed very often. The number of guys I see with crazy nice shoes and average to lousy tailoring. I’m not sure if it’s gotten worse with the advent of IG and rise of shoe influencers but it’s certainly more noticeable. A lot of these very sleek and well done shoes I’d argue need good tailoring to carry them without looking out of place.

Even with fairly sleek tailoring I sometimes feel that my more aggressive shoes don’t balance well and they get swapped out.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G&G Thorpe’s - Rustic Arran Grain today!

7E1191D3-B6D6-4899-B3C9-4342D304A4CE.jpeg
12F17009-B3EB-4AAC-861D-965C02CA17EE.jpeg
B0C3A916-D4B9-482F-AA65-375693654AAE.jpeg

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
The balancing act of tailoring and shoes is, I think, under appreciated and not discussed very often. The number of guys I see with crazy nice shoes and average to lousy tailoring. I’m not sure if it’s gotten worse with the advent of IG and rise of shoe influencers but it’s certainly more noticeable. A lot of these very sleek and well done shoes I’d argue need good tailoring to carry them without looking out of place.

Even with fairly sleek tailoring I sometimes feel that my more aggressive shoes don’t balance well and they get swapped out.
I used to spend most of my money on suits, and thought that shoes weren't that important, until I realized the lower quality shoes (Magnnani and Magli) weren't durable or comfortable. Then I began buying the highest quality shoes available, without going full JL St James bespoke. Then I realized that shirts matter too...and ties...and overcoats....so I simply started buying the highest quality of everything, which has unfortunate consequences for my bank account.

Great suits deserve a superlative pair of shoes. They wear better, last longer, and get more attention from women.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Could anyone provide feedback on how commando sole boots feel compared to boots with a wensum sole? Do the commando soles feel noticeably clunkier or heavier?

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Could anyone provide feedback on how commando sole boots feel compared to boots with a wensum sole? Do the commando soles feel noticeably clunkier or heavier?

I've been wondering about the same issue. I want to buy winter boots. Commando soles seem appropriate, but how do they feel?

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kudu Urban Commando from Epaulet sample sale, thanks @jischwar for enabling. These are F width, wasn't sure how they'd fit but took a chance thinking I could find someone to take these off my hands given deep discount. The boots fit very well with thick boot socks, hopefully I'll be able to make these work with medium weight socks.

My goal at the start of the year was to reduce my collection to ~25 shoes so that I may wear them all on a fairly regular basis. This complete imuplse buy has definitely set me back.

PXL_20230117_211346051.PORTRAIT.jpg

unprocessed

Reaction score
Kudu Urban Commando from Epaulet sample sale, thanks @jischwar for enabling. These are F width, wasn't sure how they'd fit but took a chance thinking I could find someone to take these off my hands given deep discount. The boots fit very well with thick boot socks, hopefully I'll be able to make these work with medium weight socks.

My goal at the start of the year was to reduce my collection to ~25 shoes so that I may wear them all on a fairly regular basis. This complete imuplse buy has definitely set me back.

View attachment 1879928
Very nice find. Are they on commando soles? How do the soles feel compared to wensum?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads