• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

unprocessed

Reaction score
For those who have tried the commando soles, how do they feel compared to a single wensum or single leather sole? Do they feel a lot heavier/clunkier?

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
These are Antonio Meccariello Armiticos

Meccariello is on the top of my list for new shoes (along with Paolo Scafora Norwegian wholecuts). Can you please share your impression regarding the quality and comfort of your Meccariellos?

DC10

Reaction score
Meccariello is on the top of my list for new shoes (along with Paolo Scafora Norwegian wholecuts). Can you please share your impression regarding the quality and comfort of your Meccariellos?
Quality is great, the finishing is amazing on those. I have had some other shoes from Cobbler Union, Santoni, Sutor Mantellassi and a few from some designer brands, but nothing compares to the build quality. I can’t tell you about the comfort level as I haven’t worn it enough.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Quality is great, the finishing is amazing on those. I have had some other shoes from Cobbler Union, Santoni, Sutor Mantellassi and a few from some designer brands, but nothing compares to the build quality. I can’t tell you about the comfort level as I haven’t worn it enough.

Thanks for the review. Are Meccariellos harder to break in compared to the other brands you mentioned, or is it too early to tell? I've read that hand-welted shoes are inherently more flexible than goodyear welted, but I'm not sufficiently versed in shoe-making technology to evaluate that claim.

DC10

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. Are Meccariellos harder to break in compared to the other brands you mentioned, or is it too early to tell? I've read that hand-welted shoes are inherently more flexible than goodyear welted, but I'm not sufficiently versed in shoe-making technology to evaluate that claim.
From what I’ve read here, it seems that even the hand welted are harder to break in. But then again I don’t know as yet.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
From what I’ve read here, it seems that even the hand welted are harder to break in. But then again I don’t know as yet.
Perhaps construction method and ease of breaking in are only weakly correlated, if at all. One can imagine a poorly constructed shoe that is easy to break in, and a shoe of excellent construction that is difficult to break in, or vice versa. Also, the term "Goodyear" apparently refers to a machine as well as a construction method. I recently wrote to Skoaktiebolaget about a Norwegian welted pair of Enzo Bonafe's I ordered, inquiring as to there method of construction (I had assumed that all Norwegian welted shoes were constructed by hand). The sales department replied that the shoes I ordered were indeed hand welted, but even Goodyear welted Enzo Bonafes are fully handmade, as the firm did not own a Goodyear machine. Finally, there is apparently a distinction between hand-welted and hand-lasted. Perhaps a resident shoemaker could provide us with a better informed and more detailed analysis of these issues.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Hi! guys , I am new here but I’ve been following SF for a while now. I recently acquired a pair of Antonio Meccariello RTW shoes (size 6E). It fits a little snug, maybe a little tight ( which is understandable as I haven’t worn it for a considerable amount of time). But my concern is the “V” created by the laces, I think it’s a little too wide, as you can see in the picture. Could anyone tell me if the “V” gap will close down after the “break in” period. If so, how much can I expect it to close in? Also if you think, I should go for a bigger size. Any kind of input is hugely appreciated
By the way, welcome to SF. I read the forum for 7 years before I formally joined. The debates between the fashion stalwarts on this forum can be somewhat intimidating to mere mortals. ha ha ha. I've always liked fashion, but reading this forum for 10 years has caused me to spend a ridiculous amount of money on some of the most renowned brands discussed on this forum, so I blame all of you guys for my current state of enlightened poverty.

DC10

Reaction score
When I joined about 7-8 years ago I had never heard of Gaziano & Girling. I now have about a dozen pairs of their shoes. This place will do that to you.
I would love to have a pair, I like their more traditional lasts like the GG6 and the R18. But since I am planning to visit London this year, I’d rather buy it from their store at Saville Row

DC10

Reaction score
Perhaps construction method and ease of breaking in are only weakly correlated, if at all. One can imagine a poorly constructed shoe that is easy to break in, and a shoe of excellent construction that is difficult to break in, or vice versa. Also, the term "Goodyear" apparently refers to a machine as well as a construction method. I recently wrote to Skoaktiebolaget about a Norwegian welted pair of Enzo Bonafe's I ordered, inquiring as to there method of construction (I had assumed that all Norwegian welted shoes were constructed by hand). The sales department replied that the shoes I ordered were indeed hand welted, but even Goodyear welted Enzo Bonafes are fully handmade, as the firm did not own a Goodyear machine. Finally, there is apparently a distinction between hand-welted and hand-lasted. Perhaps a resident shoemaker could provide us with a better informed and more detailed analysis of these issues.
Whether it’s machine welted or hand welted, the difference is in the quality control for brands like EB, PS or AM. At the end of the day, we want a well finished durable product. I am a short man and I prefer a slimmer design and Norwegian welted shoes tend to be on the bulkier side.By the way I want a derby from PS Art. 504.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
When I joined about 7-8 years ago I had never heard of Gaziano & Girling. I now have about a dozen pairs of their shoes. This place will do that to you.

A dozen pairs of G&G? That must have cost a small fortune. Did you actually order them at full price from the website? And I thought I was insane. hahaha. Since joining SF, I've bought 16 new pairs of shoes, from G&G, to EG, JL, to various Norwegian welted brands, but never at full price. All of them were NIB, but were bought at a 50-70% discount, otherwise, I'd be even more impoverished. The problem is, that buying beautiful clothes becomes addictive. I've devised a 5 year plan for buying new shoes, that includes Paolo Scafora, Stefano Bemer, Antonio Meccariello, Yohei Fukuda, and of course more G&Gs. I would have never of heard of any of these astronomically priced brands had I not joined Styleforum.

DC10

Reaction score
A dozen pairs of G&G? That must have cost a small fortune. Did you actually order them at full price from the website? And I thought I was insane. hahaha. Since joining SF, I've bought 16 new pairs of shoes, from G&G, to EG, JL, to various Norwegian welted brands, but never at full price. All of them were NIB, but were bought at a 50-70% discount, otherwise, I'd be even more impoverished. The problem is, that buying beautiful clothes becomes addictive. I've devised a 5 year plan for buying new shoes, that includes Paolo Scafora, Stefano Bemer, Antonio Meccariello, Yohei Fukuda, and of course more G&Gs. I would have never of heard of any of these astronomically priced brands had I not joined Styleforum.
Even at 50%-70% discount, it must have cost a fortune.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Even at 50%-70% discount, it must have cost a fortune.
True, but it was over a period of 10 years. It hurts less when you spread your expenditures over a longer period of time. We haven't even talked about suits, shirts, and ties, and the tailoring required to get the perfect fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads