• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

First Time Daily Suit Advice For A Pale Guy

SAguy

Reaction score
Hi all, so I’m kinda in a pickle. I’ve recently been hired for a job which requires the daily wearing of suits.

Problem is before now I’ve never worn a suit or anything more than board shorts and T-shirt’s really.

I’ve gone ahead and bought myself two suits to start off with, one black and the other a lighter grey.

Could anyone recommend some shirt and tie colors which would go with these?

For reference I’m really pale, like live by the beach but still can’t catch a tan pale, with maybe a pinkish undertone. I have blue eyes and not much hair up top, the hair that is there is of the fairer variety.

Any help would really be appreciated

Chowkin

Reaction score
If you can return the black suit and get a navy one instead. Black suits would make you appear even paler, not to mention that they are really reserved for funerals.

White / pale blue shirts. Navy / red ties

SAguy

Reaction score
If you can return the black suit and get a navy one instead. Black suits would make you appear even paler, not to mention that they are really reserved for funerals.

White / pale blue shirts. Navy / red ties
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I can’t return the suit but I’ll definitely look at trying to get my hands on a navy one.

Already got myself a navy tie, will try to get a red one next. How many different ties would you recommend someone have for the work week?

johng70

Reaction score
To start out, I would suggest at least 3 suits and at least 2 shirts and ties for each suit. That way you don't have the same outfit (suit/shirt/tie) in the same week. The number to avoid IMO is 5 suits - you don't want to have that repeatable pattern of the same suit on the same day of the week.
Also, a word of caution - try to keep stains from your suits. The worst thing you can do to a suit is dry clean it. That does more damage than normal wear. So, you only want to get them dry cleaned a couple times a year.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 112 33.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 102 30.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%