• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Time Daily Suit Advice For A Pale Guy

SAguy

Reaction score
Hi all, so I’m kinda in a pickle. I’ve recently been hired for a job which requires the daily wearing of suits.

Problem is before now I’ve never worn a suit or anything more than board shorts and T-shirt’s really.

I’ve gone ahead and bought myself two suits to start off with, one black and the other a lighter grey.

Could anyone recommend some shirt and tie colors which would go with these?

For reference I’m really pale, like live by the beach but still can’t catch a tan pale, with maybe a pinkish undertone. I have blue eyes and not much hair up top, the hair that is there is of the fairer variety.

Any help would really be appreciated

Chowkin

Reaction score
If you can return the black suit and get a navy one instead. Black suits would make you appear even paler, not to mention that they are really reserved for funerals.

White / pale blue shirts. Navy / red ties

SAguy

Reaction score
If you can return the black suit and get a navy one instead. Black suits would make you appear even paler, not to mention that they are really reserved for funerals.

White / pale blue shirts. Navy / red ties

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I can’t return the suit but I’ll definitely look at trying to get my hands on a navy one.

Already got myself a navy tie, will try to get a red one next. How many different ties would you recommend someone have for the work week?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To start out, I would suggest at least 3 suits and at least 2 shirts and ties for each suit. That way you don't have the same outfit (suit/shirt/tie) in the same week. The number to avoid IMO is 5 suits - you don't want to have that repeatable pattern of the same suit on the same day of the week.
Also, a word of caution - try to keep stains from your suits. The worst thing you can do to a suit is dry clean it. That does more damage than normal wear. So, you only want to get them dry cleaned a couple times a year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads