• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevadabob, you didn't like the Filson bear patch? I thought it was pretty nice. Is it the overt branding? Or did you want to customize more?
It's funny about patches. I've NEVER had one on any of my gear. Just can't get used to the permanency of them.

Probably same reason why I've never had a sticker on any of my cars, nor laptops. And no tattoos either...

#committalissues

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patches were popular in the 70s when 'backpackers' used to sew these patches on their gear to show the countries they visited or the places they have hiked. Others just sewed it on their denim jackets (or 'jean jackets' as we used to say in Canada).

I toyed with the idea of putting patches for every country I have been on my 242. But a lot of my travel is now behind me and it seems like I would be mostly now shopping online for country patches rather than buying them overseas. Worse yet, I don't like the idea of gluing patches - and sewing each patch on to heavy canvas seemed too involved (or expensive) to bother.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Hey, bart - I've often thought Filson should make a mason bag like the one you have pictured. I'm just one person, but I'd buy one!

soletrane - yeah, the patch was too much. I have always liked my Filson to say Filson without actually saying Filson...knowwudimean? However, I don't love how obvious the missing patch is. Perhaps it will fade over time.

tinman - no need to buy it back. It's yours if you want it. Just send me that address again.

bart

Reaction score
Hey, bart - I've often thought Filson should make a mason bag like the one you have pictured. I'm just one person, but I'd buy one!

The downfall of the Filson duffles to me is the narrow straight single zip opening. The mason type opens up much more and is easier to use. I'd prefer just a more squared off top profile and a U shaped zipper, which was basically like the old travel bags, I think they were called.

I have that duffle and a Klein tool bag in the mason style and they both have been good. That Jeep bag is over 15 years old (close to 20) and has served me well.

bart

Reaction score
I am also firmly in the no group on the overpriced leather pack and fabric handle bags. I won't rehash what's been said about prices and becoming a lifestyle brand many times before.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ended up picking up the dark brown non-zipper tote for Sierra Trading for $99. My foray into totes made me look at all leather versions but I really like the Filson tote...I was just drawn to it from the beginning of my search.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patches were popular in the 70s when 'backpackers' used to sew these patches on their gear to show the countries they visited or the places they have hiked. Others just sewed it on their denim jackets (or 'jean jackets' as we used to say in Canada).

I toyed with the idea of putting patches for every country I have been on my 242. But a lot of my travel is now behind me and it seems like I would be mostly now shopping online for country patches rather than buying them overseas. Worse yet, I don't like the idea of gluing patches - and sewing each patch on to heavy canvas seemed too involved (or expensive) to bother.
I’m with @mgrennier on this. I like my bags understated and tend not to like images or logos enough to want to see them on my stuff permanently.
No tattoos for me either for similar reasons.
All that said: here is an unusual combo - my gig vest with 20+ patches over the top of my soy lined short cruiser. The gig was Sunn O))), which was amazing.

88358C94-53FB-4809-A8F1-BD6BEF3333A0.jpeg

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ended up picking up the dark brown non-zipper tote for Sierra Trading for $99. My foray into totes made me look at all leather versions but I really like the Filson tote...I was just drawn to it from the beginning of my search.

Nice. The open tote has been my gym bag (good ventilation!) for years. And now more recently, it's my son's bag to carry a huge load of standardized test prep materials, plus portable dvd player, pencils, calculator, texts. It works well for this purpose and since it's open top, it's quick and easy access and loading.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m with @mgrennier on this. I like my bags understated and tend not to like images or logos enough to want to see them on my stuff permanently.
No tattoos for me either for similar reasons.
All that said: here is an unusual combo - my gig vest with 20+ patches over the top of my soy lined short cruiser. The gig was Sunn O))), which was amazing.

View attachment 1269395
Now that I think about it, I have an old motorcycle vest with a bunch of patches from my Sturgis trip during (one of) my mid-life crisis periods. I had some kind of skull and crossbones thing and a "I rode mine" patch to memorialize my Sturgis trip. I may have had a couple other ones on that but that was a one-time thing and I'm pretty sure I've not worn it since (also sold my motorcycle a few years ago too (2006 blacked-out Victory Vegas)).

Maybe it will make a good Halloween costume one day!

I almost got a tattoo on that trip. Had a few adult pops at lunchtime, wandered into a temporary tattoo parlor and got really close to jumping in the chair. I think I sobered up when I met the tattoo artist. His name? "Chaos". That sobered me up pretty quickly!

Sorry for the digression. Back to your normally scheduled Filson show.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny about patches. I've NEVER had one on any of my gear. Just can't get used to the permanency of them.

Probably same reason why I've never had a sticker on any of my cars, nor laptops. And no tattoos either...

#committalissues

No tattoos for me either...yet. But I’m a car decal fiend. What’s your consensus on button pins? I love the way mine looks on my 257. I imagine it will look even better with fading

45B5728F-3777-43C0-92B6-E18378F792E0.jpeg

10F34E27-23F7-404C-AE28-3C42AF416B8A.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A little late of a welcome, but greetings to a fellow Cars We Drive member. Welcome to the best Filson conversation on the internet. Is your Tote your first Filson purchase?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some classic eBay posts I know you guys all miss from me :fonz:

1. $250 gets you a like new First Edition YKK Era #264 in Otter Green. Included are the dividers but no strap...hmmmmm usually the other way around with these Sportsman's

2. @speedy611 this reminds me of that large Otter Green lot you purchased months ago, for $300 per bag it's a pretty good buy if you're hankering for covering most of your yearly Filson wants and needs. Not sure what era they are, but they look mostly in like new condition.

3. @speedy611 this one has got your name written all over it. Saw this and knew I wanted to share it with you and the group.

Some things just don't mix. A heavily waxed Filson x Levi's Trucker and a Cigar stored in its pocket is certainly not one of them. Beautiful patina nonetheless.

some things don't mix.PNG

Does this look dirty to anyone else here? I'm sure glad I chose Navy for my Journeyman, as the Journeyman in Tan doesn't age like the Tan we all know and love. Or maybe you guys like it and I'm off my rocker.

journeyman dirty.PNG

journeyman dirty 2.PNG

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and still giddy with my old faithfuls 256 and beartooth Jac shirt getting a little work done this morning at a little known coffee shop called Starbucks. Highly recommended!

I am happy that you are still satisfied with your investments. I too am still giddy with my First Edition Navy Journeyman. I use it 5 days a week. One of these days I will dust off the #257, but I'm sure eventually it will earn it's place back in my life. I use the #264 every other Friday to travel 210 miles roundtrip to visit my friends at my Cigar Lounge, it still makes for a excellent hobby bag, holding my cigar humidor, whiskey and accessories in a neat order.

As far as recommending Starbucks, I'm a little reluctant to concur. As a former Small Business Owner of a Artisan Coffee Roastery, I still consider them to be the enemy :lol:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a Filson post but I Thought I'd take this moment to share with the group the thing that helped save my life and give it new meaning. It might seem trivial to some, but this thing has been a God-Send to me in these tough times. Whenever I am on-board my stress melts away and I am at one with my surroundings...or maybe I just have a heightened focus of not seriously hurting myself.

The best $450 I have ever spent. It’s a Electric Long Board called Ownboard WS1. It has a 12 mile range & a top speed of 25mph!! Plenty of room for my size 13 Etnies (first skateboard shoe...#giddy)
1E0DEDCB-17B5-47CF-8863-6FDD566A4E9A.jpeg

I'm sure many of you have seen one of these Electric Skateboards in urban environments, maybe even experienced the joy firsthand. Truth be told I have never skateboarded a day in my life before September. Now I’m carving some serious backroads and keeping up with traffic. It only took 2 weeks, so anything is possible with the right mindset.

It has enabled me to see some really beautiful landscapes that I blindly pass by in my car

1482D07E-A7C6-4943-95D1-3D9B66626208.jpeg

83B561BE-BB16-4B2D-B7EC-1446F59D7D6C.jpeg

The bottom is made of sturdy but flexible bamboo, not to mention two Samsung 6.0 Li-ion batteries with magnetic Hub Motors and a Bluetooth throttle & regenerative brake remote.

76B0273D-57DE-4EC0-B250-99B373CE16F1.jpeg

The fastest I’ve gone so far. What a ride, exhilarating doesn’t do it justice

31CFE094-91FA-4FB8-AD3C-4705E8DD79EB.png

99ECBDE9-9B81-4AB3-B397-6C5BD269EFAF.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene