• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kwaker

Reaction score
Very cool OMG ... how did you ever think to give it a try?

My open air motoring is on a 600cc ninja ... initiated by a mid-life crisis that hasn’t worn off.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a Filson post but I Thought I'd take this moment to share with the group the thing that helped save my life and give it new meaning. It might seem trivial to some, but this thing has been a God-Send to me in these tough times. Whenever I am on-board my stress melts away and I am at one with my surroundings...or maybe I just have a heightened focus of not seriously hurting myself.

The best $450 I have ever spent. It’s a Electric Long Board called Ownboard WS1. It has a 12 mile range & a top speed of 25mph!! Plenty of room for my size 13 Etnies (first skateboard shoe...#giddy)
View attachment 1269713

I'm sure many of you have seen one of these Electric Skateboards in urban environments, maybe even experienced the joy firsthand. Truth be told I have never skateboarded a day in my life before September. Now I’m carving some serious backroads and keeping up with traffic. It only took 2 weeks, so anything is possible with the right mindset.

It has enabled me to see some really beautiful landscapes that I blindly pass by in my car

View attachment 1269714

View attachment 1269715

The bottom is made of sturdy but flexible bamboo, not to mention two Samsung 6.0 Li-ion batteries with magnetic Hub Motors and a Bluetooth throttle & regenerative brake remote.

View attachment 1269716

The fastest I’ve gone so far. What a ride, exhilarating doesn’t do it justice

View attachment 1269717

View attachment 1269718
Very cool! I think all these “micro mobility” vehicles like scooters and skateboards are great. The car is useful for some things but is also detrimental in lots of ways. Smaller solutions are helpful and I’ve long appreciated my folding Brompton bike for the same reason. I think you are right - we see the world a little more slowly and in new ways like this.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I think that's a pretty well-written article. Pays homage to the classic twill line (at least a couple times in the article), while pointing out the value of NOT being a convention center bag.

BTW- I'm STILL amazed at the number of people I see that carry those cheap-o, got-it-for-free bags,

While I'll always favor the classic twill bags, I could see the possibility of one day (perhaps, and only maybe) of carrying a Dryden-type bag - I imagine they'd be nice in a pullman-style bag. Similar ability to hold, but a lot lighter.

That said - I probably wouldn't get one, but it's worth a thought.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool! I think all these “micro mobility” vehicles like scooters and skateboards are great. The car is useful for some things but is also detrimental in lots of ways. Smaller solutions are helpful and I’ve long appreciated my folding Brompton bike for the same reason. I think you are right - we see the world a little more slowly and in new ways like this.

I read somewhere that the average car trip is under 5 miles. This seems perfect for smaller electric vehicles e-bikes, e-scooters etc. Unfortunately, in much of the US, there isn't the infrastructure that makes traveling like this appealing or safe to the average person unless you live in an urban area with broad sidewalks or dedicated lanes.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I think that's a pretty well-written article. Pays homage to the classic twill line (at least a couple times in the article), while pointing out the value of NOT being a convention center bag.

BTW- I'm STILL amazed at the number of people I see that carry those cheap-o, got-it-for-free bags,

While I'll always favor the classic twill bags, I could see the possibility of one day (perhaps, and only maybe) of carrying a Dryden-type bag - I imagine they'd be nice in a pullman-style bag. Similar ability to hold, but a lot lighter.

It's the classic argument of the hybrid being the "best of both worlds" or the "worst of both worlds". Esquire is arguing the former. I tend to view it as the latter.

To me, with Dryden, I don't get the attractive aesthetics and Buy It For Life appeal of the traditional twill bags, but I am now paying more that I would for many other perfectly functional and sometimes much more technically featured bags from Samsonite and a hundred other manufacturers (or Tom Bihn or Red Oxx if I want to pay about the same as Dryden).

I don't want peanut butter in my chocolate. I consume them separately ;-)

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some classic eBay posts I know you guys all miss from me :fonz:

1. $250 gets you a like new First Edition YKK Era #264 in Otter Green. Included are the dividers but no strap...hmmmmm usually the other way around with these Sportsman's

2. @speedy611 this reminds me of that large Otter Green lot you purchased months ago, for $300 per bag it's a pretty good buy if you're hankering for covering most of your yearly Filson wants and needs. Not sure what era they are, but they look mostly in like new condition.

3. @speedy611 this one has got your name written all over it. Saw this and knew I wanted to share it with you and the group.

Some things just don't mix. A heavily waxed Filson x Levi's Trucker and a Cigar stored in its pocket is certainly not one of them. Beautiful patina nonetheless.

View attachment 1269700

Does this look dirty to anyone else here? I'm sure glad I chose Navy for my Journeyman, as the Journeyman in Tan doesn't age like the Tan we all know and love. Or maybe you guys like it and I'm off my rocker.

View attachment 1269701

View attachment 1269702
1. Re: 264. I was tempted. But I wouldn't buy it without the original strap.
3. Re: trucker. Love the pic of the jackets. But in RL, I think it would look like a really dirty jacket on me (at least in the corporate or suburban world I now inhabit).
4. Re: Journeyman. Mine is in navy too as you know. It's fading slightly with age and dirt is not visible. I have no regrets about the navy as the color is very versatile from business to casual.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little late of a welcome, but greetings to a fellow Cars We Drive member. Welcome to the best Filson conversation on the internet. Is your Tote your first Filson purchase?

Yes the tote is my first Filson Purchase. I've come around to the Filson styling after 5-6 years. I love some of the old collaborations Filson did in terms of totes so if I ever see one available I will snag it.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some classic eBay posts I know you guys all miss from me :fonz:

1. $250 gets you a like new First Edition YKK Era #264 in Otter Green. Included are the dividers but no strap...hmmmmm usually the other way around with these Sportsman's

2. @speedy611 this reminds me of that large Otter Green lot you purchased months ago, for $300 per bag it's a pretty good buy if you're hankering for covering most of your yearly Filson wants and needs. Not sure what era they are, but they look mostly in like new condition.

3. @speedy611 this one has got your name written all over it. Saw this and knew I wanted to share it with you and the group.

Some things just don't mix. A heavily waxed Filson x Levi's Trucker and a Cigar stored in its pocket is certainly not one of them. Beautiful patina nonetheless.

View attachment 1269700

Does this look dirty to anyone else here? I'm sure glad I chose Navy for my Journeyman, as the Journeyman in Tan doesn't age like the Tan we all know and love. Or maybe you guys like it and I'm off my rocker.

View attachment 1269701

View attachment 1269702
@OtterMeanGreen - that small nanamica is interesting, but a silly price at $500! Leather is a nice colour and the zipped back pocket quite useful. Other than that I’ll stick with my talon 230 thank you :)
On the journeyman - I think the dirt is the tin cloth areas getting patinated. It can be cleaned, but as we all know, it behaves differently to waxed twill. I’ve concluded (not necessarily consistently) that I like tin cloth on clothing but twill for bags.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the average car trip is under 5 miles. This seems perfect for smaller electric vehicles e-bikes, e-scooters etc. Unfortunately, in much of the US, there isn't the infrastructure that makes traveling like this appealing or safe to the average person unless you live in an urban area with broad sidewalks or dedicated lanes.

Agree with all of this. Short journeys work ok if there is clarity about where the vehicle is allowed - eg sidewalk or bike lane. The whole e-scooter rental thing is causing that discussion to be had in some urban areas. Less discussed are the real practicalities of load carrying and weather protection. Any commuting cyclist knows that mudguards, rain jacket and a bike-mounted bag are necessary if the bike is to be properly practical. One of the reasons the folding Brompton is so useful is because of the ability to clip a briefcase to the front of it:

42262F36-1BF6-4C60-8700-2628552A4B27.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, it’s not a bad article really. Without rehashing the whole argument I see Dryden as neither fish nor fowl, at least for my uses. If I was to buy a ‘new style’ Filson, it’d be a fully dry duffle or backpack, which I think look pretty good and are fully waterproof. But then, we are into a much wider and more competitive market where you’d want to compare with (cough) Patagonia, north face and so on.

And now I’ve got a wheeled duffle, the weight issue of a twill bag is kind of irrelevant!

CCF1897

Reaction score
Just back from a week long hunting trip. I snapped this pic before leaving. 265- “large compartment case” carried all dog hunting/general dog supplies and first aid supplies for two dogs. 70261-“ zippered tote” all dog food,feeding supplies and treats. 70056- “unscoped gun case” carried a 20ga O/U shotgun and extra choke tubes. Large camo tin cloth tote with zipper carried 3 pairs of hunting boots size 12 and shooting glasses. I had the 266 packed but swapped it out for the 265 and swapped out the Journeyman backpack for the Korchmar backpack for more organization in the car. Still in search of the XL duffel but until then the Boyt 36” sportsman did the job...but did not look as good doing it!

Attachments

• 9842E821-9A07-417C-AC36-79014899DDBD.jpeg
    9842E821-9A07-417C-AC36-79014899DDBD.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 133

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with all of this. Short journeys work ok if there is clarity about where the vehicle is allowed - eg sidewalk or bike lane. The whole e-scooter rental thing is causing that discussion to be had in some urban areas. Less discussed are the real practicalities of load carrying and weather protection. Any commuting cyclist knows that mudguards, rain jacket and a bike-mounted bag are necessary if the bike is to be properly practical. One of the reasons the folding Brompton is so useful is because of the ability to clip a briefcase to the front of it:

View attachment 1269942
I think a typical Brompton cyclist is an avid and experienced 'non-motor vehicle operator' and is serious about safety, following rules etc. In contrast, I feel the typical e-scooter rental user is part of a broader demographic hence some of the challenges.

(It takes so little to make me happy sometimes. I smiled when I saw my Ranger in your pic.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads