• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toombs

Reaction score
One final thought in regard to the maintenance and conditioning of the leather. The only products that I have used on my bags over the 24 years are Saddle Soap and Neatsfoot Oil. My thinking years ago before the internet was that the bags are trimmed with bridle leather. I had always used Saddle Soap and Neatsfoot Oil on saddles, bridles, and harness leather so I used it for my Filson products as well. I have been very pleased with the results, and don’t think that I would like them as much if i had used polish, dyes, stains, or products meant for shoes or “finer” leather goods.

Neatsfoot Oil is a very old style product. Wikipedia has a good summary of the oil's origin.

Last edited:

Davey13

Reaction score
@Toombs I really love the foam pad idea, and enjoy seeing your unique setup.

Also, do you find the neatsfoot oil darkens the leather? I've always thought neatsfoot was used to darken it depending on how many coats. Very nice write up.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Toombs - what an interesting and considered write up. Thank you.

As we ponder the Venn of similarities I too have an external s biner and luggage tag.
My biz card slot is usually occupied by a granola bar.

I have dilemmas about using a “bag in the bag” for small items. It makes switching bags easy and can keep like items together, but tends to add bulk. I do use on but try and keep it small.

And your spork made me smile - something I will consider adding!

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great mods, @speedy611 and @Toombs . Great thing about these bags is how much space they free up on your person. Keys, phone, etc. No longer have to go in your pants pockets. Makes for a cleaner look, IMO. I know I have to get the Chicago screw (still haven't gotten it) and the S carabiner.

Toombs

Reaction score
@Davey13 - I have only used the Neatsfoot oil about once a year on the bags with regular use. The bags in minimal rotation may only get it every 3-4 years. It does darken the leather when applied, but it does seem to lighten over the course of time as the leather dries out again. So I don't believe it "changes" the color as much as it "wets" the leather as the oil is absorbed. Much like water darkens leather when soaked in, but lightens back to the original color as the water evaporates.

The Saddle Soap is used about once a year on regularly used bags and every few years on the bags in my closet. Saddle Soap seems to clean and condition the leather more than soaking into the hide.

Keep in mind to not believe everything on the internet, my results do not mean that you will like the outcome, and to always try it on an area that you can't regularly see before you use a technique on the whole bag. I am not an expert and may very well be doing it wrong...

Toombs

Reaction score
@speedy611, an overlapping Venn diagram of the toys in all our closets, humidors, bar carts, and garages would present an interesting visual.

The spork comes in very handy, and my wife just gave me a stainless steel straw to use. I am trying to be conscious of single use items that I consume. And it is fun to eat outside on a regular basis. The spork is a titanium Snow Peak purchased off a clearance rack. Its ridiculous lightness makes me smile when using it.

I also have a much smaller "bag for inside the bag", but decided that it was too full and not "squishy" enough when inside the briefcase. I like the bigger bag not filled to capacity.

And another mod update - I used the seam ripper to make the two pen slots one larger slot this morning. You can see the clip from a pocket knife in the new larger pocket, and the iPhone in the enlarged pocket to the right.
3B554F1C-63D7-433F-9FF8-81FF24054C28.jpg

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the inside of the bag, ( @Davey13 ) I too used a seam ripper to modify one of the interior flat pockets on the inside divider. I daily carry a Rite in the Rain #371FX notebook that is about 5" x 7" in size. It fits very well in one of the existing interior flat pockets. My IPhone 8 did not fit in the opposite flat pocket. Because I do not like carrying pens in the pen/cigar pockets, I took the stitches out of one pen holder to enlarge the adjacent pocket. My IPhone 8 (not shown - used for photographs) now fits there very nicely. I have not yet brought myself to remove the vestigial business card pocket, but I can't think of anything that I would like to put there. I am also considering using the seam ripper to remove the center row of stitching to make the two remaining pen slots one larger pocket for more utility. EDIT: I MADE THIS MODIFICATION THIS MORNING, and I like it very much. View attachment 1002823

I mentioned thinking that the 256 would be a little small for my needs when I first got it. As I considered the problem, I realized that the bag is twill and like denim could stretch a little. The bag had not been used very much or in a very long time. The fabric was drawn or shrunken, also the seams had never been fully expanded in the bag's prior usage. I put the bag in the warm sun and gently stretched the bag to its full potential volume by pushing, prodding, and overloading with hardcover books. I was surprised at how much more volume there was. I also put a 3/16" thick section of closed cell foam purchased from Hobby Lobby in the bottom of the bag to keep the bottom panel as full as possible, and provide some padding to anything that I would carry. I kept trimming the foam pad to fit as tight as possible, but it is generally 3" wide. I worked it into place under the bag's pocket seams so that it is tight and stays locked into place. You can see the grey foam in the bottom of the bag in the picture above. The following is just a picture of the foam insert.
View attachment 1002824

The divider pocket closest to my body when carried has an inexpensive foam sleeve to carry a 13" MacBook Pro or an IPad as needed. I also have an LED flashlight clipped to the leading edge of the divider for easy access. I did keep the flashlight in the underutilized, thin, and tight exterior end pockets. It was more out of the way there and provided some vertical structure to the bag when lightly loaded; however, I decided that it was too inaccessible and forgettable when stowed there.
View attachment 1002825

On the opposite side I just keep more of the plastic divided file folders for short term storage of project paperwork.
View attachment 1002822

I use the large center section to store an insulated 18 oz Yeti Rambler for water. The insulated bottle keeps my ice fresh all day without the bottle sweating condensation onto the bag or my work. I usually have some Trader Joe's mixed nuts in there for a snack.

I always have a hard sided sunglasses case from REI that has a pair of AO Aviators with bayonet temples for easy use under a motorcycle helmet (@speedy611 , @woodsjw , @OtterMeanGreen ). I did not take a picture of those this morning because I had not yet read the posts about Randolph and American Optical Aviators. Funny how bourbon, cigars, motorcycles, travel, vintage vehicles, mechanical watches, and old Filson Bags have some magic overlap that a marketer would exploit.

I also have a portable "grab bag" with misc. pens, photography equipment, and doo-dads that I might want to move to another bag easily. It is a Maxpedition ***** with the label blacked out. It is about 2" thick and large enough for dongles and chargers.

View attachment 1002821 View attachment 1002827
View attachment 1002826
I think that is it.
Great write-up Toombs. Really enjoyed your post and your focus on ensuring that you have the things that matter to you in your bag. I have a 256 AND a 257 (both acquired from our forum friend GZStudio). I'm on a 14 day trip right now (Sanibel Island, Florida half-work, half-fun) so I'm carrying the 257 (along with my Filson rolling carry-on and my Club Glove golf bag). [Side topic - how cool would it be to get a Filson golf bag?]

I like the idea of that Maxpedition bag inside your bag. I carry a Filson small leather pouch inside my 256/7 which carries extra headphones, my Fuji x100F camera, SD card reader, etc.). The challenge I have with it is it's utter lack of organization - it's literally just a pouch. I may consider one of the bags you have as another little hobby I've picked up (to add to my 30 OTHER hobbies) is Fountain Pens (Lamy 2000 in particular) and high quality notebooks (Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Field Notes, etc.) and that maxpedition could organize my life just a wee bit better, perhaps.

Oh and as far as travel goes? Off to Silicon Valley next week for meetings with a side trip to Napa because, well, why not...

Texan

Reaction score
@Toombs great write ups, appreciate you sharing. I too rock a Snow Peak spork. You can't beat Snow Peak titanium.
@ woodsjw I don't know how the temps are where you've been in Italy but you'll be coming back to the Texas heat in full swing! I'm in East Texas and it's cooking outside!
@mgrennier I pulled the trigger on one of the medium suede leather pouches like you have, during the summer sale, and I'm liking it a lot.
They just dropped the price this morning on those (now $39) and several other items- It's worth checking out what they've got if yall have a minute today. Here's my new medium rugged suede leather pouch, along with the old dog heritage sportsman and my Snow Peak spork....I did put some Obenauf's leather oil on the suede leather pouch to darken it a bit as I didn't love the light color when I got it. -Tex

IMG_8309.JPG

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought the large smoke rugged suede pouch at the Filson Summer Sale continuing my long tradition of not paying full MSRP on Filson. ;)

Thought the darker shade would hide stains better. Was torn between the Medium and Large but figured the large wasn’t all that big. And an inexpensive way to see what the rugged suede is all about.

I am thinking of it as more of a travel pouch (than a portfolio brief) for securing loose stuff (passports, foreign currency, earphones, reservations) in a larger bag or when passing through an airport screening line.

I also bought the snap wallet for travel. I usually carry a card case and a silver money clip as edc but I can probably pare this down to this one wallet for travel.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought the large smoke rugged suede pouch at the Filson Summer Sale continuing my long tradition of not paying full MSRP on Filson. ;)

Thought the darker shade would hide stains better. Was torn between the Medium and Large but figured the large wasn’t all that big. And an inexpensive way to see what the rugged suede is all about.

I am thinking of it as more of a travel pouch (than a portfolio brief) for securing loose stuff (passports, foreign currency, earphones, reservations) in a larger bag or when passing through an airport screening line.

I also bought the snap wallet for travel. I usually carry a card case and a silver money clip as edc but I can probably pare this down to this one wallet for travel.

Good for you.. and depressing for me. Your choice and price of sale stuff in the US is about 4x wider and 50% cheaper than the UK. No suede pouches available here :-(

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for you.. and depressing for me. Your choice and price of sale stuff in the US is about 4x wider and 50% cheaper than the UK. No suede pouches available here :-(

I am originally from Canada. A country which shares many of the same stores and products as the US. Yet even after a long time in the US, I am still amazed at the variety and price of goods here.

I will see if the pouch is a purchase in search of a purpose (for me). When traveling, I am one of those guys whose always double-checking his pockets for his passport, wallet, phone or boarding pass. This might be the solution.

I just bought a medium one as a gift for my friend who likes all the EDC stuff. The pouch is a good place to put it.

GzStudio

Reaction score
I have a rugged suede medium that I use for travel. It keeps passports and all my cords and misc. stuff in one pouch. I do sometimes use the medium leather version as it is much lighter and a tad smaller. The suede pouch is beefy, thick, and heavy. I have the smoke as it does hide every day use better than the natural, which I also have, but do not use as much.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am originally from Canada. A country which shares many of the same stores and products as the US. Yet even after a long time in the US, I am still amazed at the variety and price of goods here.

I will see if the pouch is a purchase in search of a purpose (for me). When traveling, I am one of those guys whose always double-checking his pockets for his passport, wallet, phone or boarding pass. This might be the solution.

I just bought a medium one as a gift for my friend who likes all the EDC stuff. The pouch is a good place to put it.

What part of Canada were you originally from EH? :facepalm:Sorry bad joke. I spent a good part of my youth in our neighbors to the North, mostly for Ice Hockey Tournaments (Goaltender). I'm secretly hoping you say Vancouver haha. I too am looking for a worthy organizer pouch (like @Toombs ). My criteria is mainly not adding too much bulk but avoiding the open Grid-it style options (i.e. something with a zipper). I'm also a gate fumbler, as there's never enough time to find that ID or boarding pass :lol:

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size comparison of the smoke medium rugged suede vs medium leather and large leather.

View attachment 1003783
I have the medium rugged suede. This thing could protect your EDC stuff from a Mack Truck. "Heavy duty" hardly describes it. My only challenge is that it does make the bag a wee bit heavier than is necessary - especially considering this is a bag that is used inside another bag (limiting it's exposure to the elements).

It carries my Field Notes, extra headphones, my Fuji x100f (on casual trips), passport (on overseas trips) and other stuff. I should probably use it more when going through the security lines...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads