1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8 : Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction of the year is for an Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Are those AO's or Randolph's? I have a very similar pair but mine are Randolph's.

2. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

I agree. I myself like the 52mm's, the 55's seem just a little too big for my face. I first become interested in them when I watched DeNiro in Taxi Driver. My favorite combo has gotta be the Black Frames with the brown lenses, so I can wear them while driving in the city during the evening hours.

A very rare combo indeed (black frames and brown lenses):

AO.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018

3. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

AO.
    Not sure if this is right but I understand the AO to be the mil-spec / issue version. Randolph’s are the same thing with a different badge I think...

4. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

FYI - Twill rolling check-in bag now part of Filson Summer Sale. 38% off.

5. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Get behind me foul tempter!!

6. Toombs

Toombs Active Member

The internet is a funny place. As I was reading over the last week or so of posts, I was again struck by how many of our interests are the same. Also, many of the posts covered topics that I have been meaning to chime in on. So while I am not as prolific as @OtterMeanGreen , not as thoughtful as @masayako 's YouTube videos, cool as @speedy611 , as curated as @GzStudio, as diplomatic as @Soletrane , or as well traveled as @mgrennier and many of our regulars, ~ I may have have the most Talon bags purchased new for personal use and used the longest.

@Davey13 did some mods, and @coolarrow wanted to see a few mods, and I did perform a few basic modifications to my only Filson purchase of the last 24 years. I bought a new to me, "like new", Tan Talon 256 from @GzStudio some while ago. To @Stratkat ‘s chagrin, I really like using the bag on a daily basis and appreciate that I could still purchase a bag that matches in every way the stuff I bought a long time ago. My mods are basic and subtle, but some might appreciate them. I have also pictured what I typically carry to help others decide what bag meets their requirements.

When I first got the bag, I was concerned that it would not be large enough. I found this forum by searching for one of the topics that dominated the early history of this thread, "Which size is better 256 or 257?" I settled on 256 because @GzStudio had a clean Talon 256 available.
    43EF8B61-A61B-4AA4-A317-4EF61CF8B8CF.jpeg

My exterior mods, hacks, and products used for daily carry use are simple. I use a Nite Ize S-biner, size #4 inside the front, outside pocket attached to the right handle strap as I look at the bag. The #4 size seems large enough to go around the strap handle without damaging or changing the shape of the leather. I carry the bag on my right side with the flap facing away from my body. The S-biner lays very flat and is easy to reach when I need my keys. I also use the outside pocket for anything that I need to remember while running errands (mail, shopping list, bank stuff, things to drop off somewhere). If something is in there, it needs to have some action taken with it.
    53EB6B86-5DFD-4E90-A40A-EBB6F1BF4154.jpeg

I have one of my original leather Filson luggage tags attached to the "back", brass shoulder strap ring as I am wearing the bag. I think it is less likely to catch on anything in this following position. The luggage tag is large and substantial for a briefcase. Some use the Filson Twill Luggage tags on their briefcases because of the smaller and lighter construction. I would too if I had one.
    5EF8B5C6-4855-487A-AF3C-0E9326F8F34B.jpeg

The outside pocket closest to my body holds a two sided, heavy plastic file folder. My shoulder strap is the "pad less" variety original to the bag, and I should use the "Chicago Screw" mod to tidy up the flappy end.
    B1C0D4B0-F01D-40DD-9079-FCA1061A0023.jpeg

When carrying the bag in a crowded area, I zip the two zipper pulls to the top center so that the buttoned flap keeps them from potential prying hands.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

7. Toombs

Toombs Active Member

On the inside of the bag, ( @Davey13 ) I too used a seam ripper to modify one of the interior flat pockets on the inside divider. I daily carry a Rite in the Rain #371FX notebook that is about 5" x 7" in size. It fits very well in one of the existing interior flat pockets. My IPhone 8 did not fit in the opposite flat pocket. Because I do not like carrying pens in the pen/cigar pockets, I took the stitches out of one pen holder to enlarge the adjacent pocket. My IPhone 8 (not shown - used for photographs) now fits there very nicely. I have not yet brought myself to remove the vestigial business card pocket, but I can't think of anything that I would like to put there. I am also considering using the seam ripper to remove the center row of stitching to make the two remaining pen slots one larger pocket for more utility. EDIT: I MADE THIS MODIFICATION THIS MORNING, and I like it very much. DA4733E9-C610-4D4D-BF80-33962B8C27EA.jpeg

I mentioned thinking that the 256 would be a little small for my needs when I first got it. As I considered the problem, I realized that the bag is twill and like denim could stretch a little. The bag had not been used very much or in a very long time. The fabric was drawn or shrunken, also the seams had never been fully expanded in the bag's prior usage. I put the bag in the warm sun and gently stretched the bag to its full potential volume by pushing, prodding, and overloading with hardcover books. I was surprised at how much more volume there was. I also put a 3/16" thick section of closed cell foam purchased from Hobby Lobby in the bottom of the bag to keep the bottom panel as full as possible, and provide some padding to anything that I would carry. I kept trimming the foam pad to fit as tight as possible, but it is generally 3" wide. I worked it into place under the bag's pocket seams so that it is tight and stays locked into place. You can see the grey foam in the bottom of the bag in the picture above. The following is just a picture of the foam insert.
    4BA41DCB-D95C-4FFC-820E-2049F3FBF52F.jpeg

The divider pocket closest to my body when carried has an inexpensive foam sleeve to carry a 13" MacBook Pro or an IPad as needed. I also have an LED flashlight clipped to the leading edge of the divider for easy access. I did keep the flashlight in the underutilized, thin, and tight exterior end pockets. It was more out of the way there and provided some vertical structure to the bag when lightly loaded; however, I decided that it was too inaccessible and forgettable when stowed there.
    2FAE6840-55D5-47E7-ACB0-FE74AD578856.jpeg

On the opposite side I just keep more of the plastic divided file folders for short term storage of project paperwork.
    80FB78DE-99E6-42C2-BBCF-A2F116AC24CE.jpeg

I use the large center section to store an insulated 18 oz Yeti Rambler for water. The insulated bottle keeps my ice fresh all day without the bottle sweating condensation onto the bag or my work. I usually have some Trader Joe's mixed nuts in there for a snack.

I always have a hard sided sunglasses case from REI that has a pair of AO Aviators with bayonet temples for easy use under a motorcycle helmet (@speedy611 , @woodsjw , @OtterMeanGreen ). I did not take a picture of those this morning because I had not yet read the posts about Randolph and American Optical Aviators. Funny how bourbon, cigars, motorcycles, travel, vintage vehicles, mechanical watches, guitars, nice pens, and old Filson Bags have some magic overlap that a marketer would exploit.

I also have a portable "grab bag" with misc. pens, photography equipment, and doo-dads that I might want to move to another bag easily. It is a Maxpedition Fatty with the label blacked out. It is about 2" thick and large enough for dongles and chargers.

70CEAA6B-BE9C-46A7-8B91-E6C3BFC20760.jpeg FD65DFC0-23FA-47CB-9C3D-C0423CD045AD.jpeg
    587439DB-3A4B-4025-8F65-C0A83F0503DB.jpeg
    I think that is it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018

8. Toombs

Toombs Active Member

One final thought in regard to the maintenance and conditioning of the leather. The only products that I have used on my bags over the 24 years are Saddle Soap and Neatsfoot Oil. My thinking years ago before the internet was that the bags are trimmed with bridle leather. I had always used Saddle Soap and Neatsfoot Oil on saddles, bridles, and harness leather so I used it for my Filson products as well. I have been very pleased with the results, and don’t think that I would like them as much if i had used polish, dyes, stains, or products meant for shoes or “finer” leather goods.

Neatsfoot Oil is a very old style product. Wikipedia has a good summary of the oil's origin.

9. Davey13

Davey13 Well-Known Member

@Toombs I really love the foam pad idea, and enjoy seeing your unique setup.

Also, do you find the neatsfoot oil darkens the leather? I've always thought neatsfoot was used to darken it depending on how many coats. Very nice write up.

10. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

@Toombs - what an interesting and considered write up. Thank you.

As we ponder the Venn of similarities I too have an external s biner and luggage tag.
    My biz card slot is usually occupied by a granola bar.

I have dilemmas about using a “bag in the bag” for small items. It makes switching bags easy and can keep like items together, but tends to add bulk. I do use on but try and keep it small.

And your spork made me smile - something I will consider adding!

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

Great mods, @speedy611 and @Toombs . Great thing about these bags is how much space they free up on your person. Keys, phone, etc. No longer have to go in your pants pockets. Makes for a cleaner look, IMO. I know I have to get the Chicago screw (still haven't gotten it) and the S carabiner.

12. Toombs

Toombs Active Member

@Davey13 - I have only used the Neatsfoot oil about once a year on the bags with regular use. The bags in minimal rotation may only get it every 3-4 years. It does darken the leather when applied, but it does seem to lighten over the course of time as the leather dries out again. So I don't believe it "changes" the color as much as it "wets" the leather as the oil is absorbed. Much like water darkens leather when soaked in, but lightens back to the original color as the water evaporates.

The Saddle Soap is used about once a year on regularly used bags and every few years on the bags in my closet. Saddle Soap seems to clean and condition the leather more than soaking into the hide.

Keep in mind to not believe everything on the internet, my results do not mean that you will like the outcome, and to always try it on an area that you can't regularly see before you use a technique on the whole bag. I am not an expert and may very well be doing it wrong...

13. Toombs

Toombs Active Member

@speedy611, an overlapping Venn diagram of the toys in all our closets, humidors, bar carts, and garages would present an interesting visual.

The spork comes in very handy, and my wife just gave me a stainless steel straw to use. I am trying to be conscious of single use items that I consume. And it is fun to eat outside on a regular basis. The spork is a titanium Snow Peak purchased off a clearance rack. Its ridiculous lightness makes me smile when using it.

I also have a much smaller "bag for inside the bag", but decided that it was too full and not "squishy" enough when inside the briefcase. I like the bigger bag not filled to capacity.

And another mod update - I used the seam ripper to make the two pen slots one larger slot this morning. You can see the clip from a pocket knife in the new larger pocket, and the iPhone in the enlarged pocket to the right.
    3B554F1C-63D7-433F-9FF8-81FF24054C28.jpg

14. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Great write-up Toombs. Really enjoyed your post and your focus on ensuring that you have the things that matter to you in your bag. I have a 256 AND a 257 (both acquired from our forum friend GZStudio). I'm on a 14 day trip right now (Sanibel Island, Florida half-work, half-fun) so I'm carrying the 257 (along with my Filson rolling carry-on and my Club Glove golf bag). [Side topic - how cool would it be to get a Filson golf bag?]

I like the idea of that Maxpedition bag inside your bag. I carry a Filson small leather pouch inside my 256/7 which carries extra headphones, my Fuji x100F camera, SD card reader, etc.). The challenge I have with it is it's utter lack of organization - it's literally just a pouch. I may consider one of the bags you have as another little hobby I've picked up (to add to my 30 OTHER hobbies) is Fountain Pens (Lamy 2000 in particular) and high quality notebooks (Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Field Notes, etc.) and that maxpedition could organize my life just a wee bit better, perhaps.

Oh and as far as travel goes? Off to Silicon Valley next week for meetings with a side trip to Napa because, well, why not...

15. Texan

Texan New Member

@Toombs great write ups, appreciate you sharing. I too rock a Snow Peak spork. You can't beat Snow Peak titanium.
    @ woodsjw I don't know how the temps are where you've been in Italy but you'll be coming back to the Texas heat in full swing! I'm in East Texas and it's cooking outside!
    @mgrennier I pulled the trigger on one of the medium suede leather pouches like you have, during the summer sale, and I'm liking it a lot.
    They just dropped the price this morning on those (now $39) and several other items- It's worth checking out what they've got if yall have a minute today. Here's my new medium rugged suede leather pouch, along with the old dog heritage sportsman and my Snow Peak spork....I did put some Obenauf's leather oil on the suede leather pouch to darken it a bit as I didn't love the light color when I got it. -Tex

IMG_8309.JPG