• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Been awhile since I've been able to check in... the last couple of months have been very busy. In May I completed my graduate program and moved to San Antonio to begin my new job and for the last 40 days or so I've been in Italy for training. I've been checking in on the forum every now and then, and trying to keep current with the conversation, but I haven't had much time to post or respond.

I hope everyone's doing well!

I also wanted to see if anyone might be interested in a jacket I'm currently trying to sell. It's a Barbour Bedale that I picked up a few months ago on eBay, but I ended up buying another similar jacket while in Europe and decided that I really don't need both.

Here is a link to the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292618012081?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I got a great deal on it, so if anyone is interested shoot me a PM. I'm open to offers.

Welcome back and congratulations on your accomplishments! I've seen you lurking on here from time to time. Hope you're enjoying Italy, how many Ferrari's have you seen?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OH THE HUMANITY!!!!! There's Patina and then there's pure nasty. I'm not even sure the Jaws of Life could rescue this thing. Check out the description section. Apparently it was used to store paintball gear and then tossed aside in a hot shed for who knows how long. It's a real shame though since it was once a beautiful Talon Otter Green MTB with plenty of "Hulk Matter" on the brass. Apparently there was wax candles stored, as you can see reflected in the pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Distressed...455926?hash=item41e6b463b6:g:BWUAAOSw3ChbP5nN

nasty.PNG

nasty 2.PNG

woodsjw

Reaction score
Welcome back and congratulations on your accomplishments! I've seen you lurking on here from time to time. Hope you're enjoying Italy, how many Ferrari's have you seen?

Thank you! Feels good to be close one chapter and begin another. Italy has been great, but I'm excited to get back home. I fly out next Monday!

I don't think I've seen a Ferrari here--surprisingly... or if I did, I missed it. I'm not really a sports car guy though, so it's likely i've just missed them!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Feels good to be close one chapter and begin another. Italy has been great, but I'm excited to get back home. I fly out next Monday!

I don't think I've seen a Ferrari here--surprisingly... or if I did, I missed it. I'm not really a sports car guy though, so it's likely i've just missed them!
:) I'm happy for you. San Antonio is really nice too, enjoy that weather. I forget have you lived in Texas before?

:lol: it's okay. They're not for everyone, different strokes for different folks, as they say.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it’s the little things...

View attachment 1002079

@woodsjw - great to have you back and many congrats on the post grad. Onwards and upwards!
Nice American Optical's, I've always been a fan of them over the typical Aviators. Love the bayonet temples. What MM are they; 55's? I'm a sucker for anything aviation I guess.

Nice Travel Tray too btw. I was gonna get one but opted for the bigger Red Oxx (not mine below)

rd.jpg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice American Optical's, I've always been a fan of them over the typical Aviators. Love the bayonet temples. What MM are they; 55's? I'm a sucker for anything aviation I guess.

Nice Travel Tray too btw. I was gonna get one but opted for the bigger Red Oxx (not mine below)

View attachment 1002091

Thanks Otter. Had these since 2010 and they are great. Sturdy, functional, not mainstream. They are the 52mm width. Love the bayonets for use with motorcycle helmets.
The tray is my “shipping” from the Filson sale ;-)

woodsjw

Reaction score
:) I'm happy for you. San Antonio is really nice too, enjoy that weather. I forget have you lived in Texas before?

:lol: it's okay. They're not for everyone, different strokes for different folks, as they say.

There are, however, a ton of Land Rover Defenders here! That's more my speed! ;)

And yes. My seminary was in Austin, so I've been here in TX for three years... just moving down the road a bit south.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Otter. Had these since 2010 and they are great. Sturdy, functional, not mainstream. They are the 52mm width. Love the bayonets for use with motorcycle helmets.
The tray is my “shipping” from the Filson sale ;-)

I agree. I myself like the 52mm's, the 55's seem just a little too big for my face. I first become interested in them when I watched DeNiro in Taxi Driver. My favorite combo has gotta be the Black Frames with the brown lenses, so I can wear them while driving in the city during the evening hours.

A very rare combo indeed (black frames and brown lenses):

AO.jpg

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those AO's or Randolph's? I have a very similar pair but mine are Randolph's.
AO.
Not sure if this is right but I understand the AO to be the mil-spec / issue version. Randolph’s are the same thing with a different badge I think...

Toombs

Reaction score
The internet is a funny place. As I was reading over the last week or so of posts, I was again struck by how many of our interests are the same. Also, many of the posts covered topics that I have been meaning to chime in on. So while I am not as prolific as @OtterMeanGreen , not as thoughtful as @masayako 's YouTube videos, cool as @speedy611 , as curated as @GzStudio, as diplomatic as @Soletrane , or as well traveled as @mgrennier and many of our regulars, ~ I may have have the most Talon bags purchased new for personal use and used the longest.

@Davey13 did some mods, and @coolarrow wanted to see a few mods, and I did perform a few basic modifications to my only Filson purchase of the last 24 years. I bought a new to me, "like new", Tan Talon 256 from @GzStudio some while ago. To @Stratkat ‘s chagrin, I really like using the bag on a daily basis and appreciate that I could still purchase a bag that matches in every way the stuff I bought a long time ago. My mods are basic and subtle, but some might appreciate them. I have also pictured what I typically carry to help others decide what bag meets their requirements.

When I first got the bag, I was concerned that it would not be large enough. I found this forum by searching for one of the topics that dominated the early history of this thread, "Which size is better 256 or 257?" I settled on 256 because @GzStudio had a clean Talon 256 available.
43EF8B61-A61B-4AA4-A317-4EF61CF8B8CF.jpeg

My exterior mods, hacks, and products used for daily carry use are simple. I use a Nite Ize S-biner, size #4 inside the front, outside pocket attached to the right handle strap as I look at the bag. The #4 size seems large enough to go around the strap handle without damaging or changing the shape of the leather. I carry the bag on my right side with the flap facing away from my body. The S-biner lays very flat and is easy to reach when I need my keys. I also use the outside pocket for anything that I need to remember while running errands (mail, shopping list, bank stuff, things to drop off somewhere). If something is in there, it needs to have some action taken with it.
53EB6B86-5DFD-4E90-A40A-EBB6F1BF4154.jpeg

I have one of my original leather Filson luggage tags attached to the "back", brass shoulder strap ring as I am wearing the bag. I think it is less likely to catch on anything in this following position. The luggage tag is large and substantial for a briefcase. Some use the Filson Twill Luggage tags on their briefcases because of the smaller and lighter construction. I would too if I had one.
5EF8B5C6-4855-487A-AF3C-0E9326F8F34B.jpeg

The outside pocket closest to my body holds a two sided, heavy plastic file folder. My shoulder strap is the "pad less" variety original to the bag, and I should use the "Chicago Screw" mod to tidy up the flappy end.
B1C0D4B0-F01D-40DD-9079-FCA1061A0023.jpeg

When carrying the bag in a crowded area, I zip the two zipper pulls to the top center so that the buttoned flap keeps them from potential prying hands.

Last edited:

Toombs

Reaction score
On the inside of the bag, ( @Davey13 ) I too used a seam ripper to modify one of the interior flat pockets on the inside divider. I daily carry a Rite in the Rain #371FX notebook that is about 5" x 7" in size. It fits very well in one of the existing interior flat pockets. My IPhone 8 did not fit in the opposite flat pocket. Because I do not like carrying pens in the pen/cigar pockets, I took the stitches out of one pen holder to enlarge the adjacent pocket. My IPhone 8 (not shown - used for photographs) now fits there very nicely. I have not yet brought myself to remove the vestigial business card pocket, but I can't think of anything that I would like to put there. I am also considering using the seam ripper to remove the center row of stitching to make the two remaining pen slots one larger pocket for more utility. EDIT: I MADE THIS MODIFICATION THIS MORNING, and I like it very much.
DA4733E9-C610-4D4D-BF80-33962B8C27EA.jpeg

I mentioned thinking that the 256 would be a little small for my needs when I first got it. As I considered the problem, I realized that the bag is twill and like denim could stretch a little. The bag had not been used very much or in a very long time. The fabric was drawn or shrunken, also the seams had never been fully expanded in the bag's prior usage. I put the bag in the warm sun and gently stretched the bag to its full potential volume by pushing, prodding, and overloading with hardcover books. I was surprised at how much more volume there was. I also put a 3/16" thick section of closed cell foam purchased from Hobby Lobby in the bottom of the bag to keep the bottom panel as full as possible, and provide some padding to anything that I would carry. I kept trimming the foam pad to fit as tight as possible, but it is generally 3" wide. I worked it into place under the bag's pocket seams so that it is tight and stays locked into place. You can see the grey foam in the bottom of the bag in the picture above. The following is just a picture of the foam insert.
4BA41DCB-D95C-4FFC-820E-2049F3FBF52F.jpeg

The divider pocket closest to my body when carried has an inexpensive foam sleeve to carry a 13" MacBook Pro or an IPad as needed. I also have an LED flashlight clipped to the leading edge of the divider for easy access. I did keep the flashlight in the underutilized, thin, and tight exterior end pockets. It was more out of the way there and provided some vertical structure to the bag when lightly loaded; however, I decided that it was too inaccessible and forgettable when stowed there.
2FAE6840-55D5-47E7-ACB0-FE74AD578856.jpeg

On the opposite side I just keep more of the plastic divided file folders for short term storage of project paperwork.
80FB78DE-99E6-42C2-BBCF-A2F116AC24CE.jpeg

I use the large center section to store an insulated 18 oz Yeti Rambler for water. The insulated bottle keeps my ice fresh all day without the bottle sweating condensation onto the bag or my work. I usually have some Trader Joe's mixed nuts in there for a snack.

I always have a hard sided sunglasses case from REI that has a pair of AO Aviators with bayonet temples for easy use under a motorcycle helmet (@speedy611 , @woodsjw , @OtterMeanGreen ). I did not take a picture of those this morning because I had not yet read the posts about Randolph and American Optical Aviators. Funny how bourbon, cigars, motorcycles, travel, vintage vehicles, mechanical watches, guitars, nice pens, and old Filson Bags have some magic overlap that a marketer would exploit.

I also have a portable "grab bag" with misc. pens, photography equipment, and doo-dads that I might want to move to another bag easily. It is a Maxpedition ***** with the label blacked out. It is about 2" thick and large enough for dongles and chargers.

70CEAA6B-BE9C-46A7-8B91-E6C3BFC20760.jpeg
FD65DFC0-23FA-47CB-9C3D-C0423CD045AD.jpeg

587439DB-3A4B-4025-8F65-C0A83F0503DB.jpeg

I think that is it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads