1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 12 : Löf and Tung MTO shoes from Skoaktiebolaget

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 12th auction of the year is for a pair of Löf and Tung MTO (made-to-order) shoes from Skoaktiebolaget. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I just bought the large smoke rugged suede pouch at the Filson Summer Sale continuing my long tradition of not paying full MSRP on Filson. ;)

Thought the darker shade would hide stains better. Was torn between the Medium and Large but figured the large wasn’t all that big. And an inexpensive way to see what the rugged suede is all about.

I am thinking of it as more of a travel pouch (than a portfolio brief) for securing loose stuff (passports, foreign currency, earphones, reservations) in a larger bag or when passing through an airport screening line.

I also bought the snap wallet for travel. I usually carry a card case and a silver money clip as edc but I can probably pare this down to this one wallet for travel.

2. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Good for you.. and depressing for me. Your choice and price of sale stuff in the US is about 4x wider and 50% cheaper than the UK. No suede pouches available here :-(

3. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I am originally from Canada. A country which shares many of the same stores and products as the US. Yet even after a long time in the US, I am still amazed at the variety and price of goods here.

I will see if the pouch is a purchase in search of a purpose (for me). When traveling, I am one of those guys whose always double-checking his pockets for his passport, wallet, phone or boarding pass. This might be the solution.

I just bought a medium one as a gift for my friend who likes all the EDC stuff. The pouch is a good place to put it.

4. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

I have a rugged suede medium that I use for travel. It keeps passports and all my cords and misc. stuff in one pouch. I do sometimes use the medium leather version as it is much lighter and a tad smaller. The suede pouch is beefy, thick, and heavy. I have the smoke as it does hide every day use better than the natural, which I also have, but do not use as much.

5. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

What part of Canada were you originally from EH? :facepalm:Sorry bad joke. I spent a good part of my youth in our neighbors to the North, mostly for Ice Hockey Tournaments (Goaltender). I'm secretly hoping you say Vancouver haha. I too am looking for a worthy organizer pouch (like @Toombs ). My criteria is mainly not adding too much bulk but avoiding the open Grid-it style options (i.e. something with a zipper). I'm also a gate fumbler, as there's never enough time to find that ID or boarding pass :lol:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018

6. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

Size comparison of the smoke medium rugged suede vs medium leather and large leather.

7B0B805A-EE72-48B1-A022-D5822CBE9516.jpeg

7. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

I have the medium rugged suede. This thing could protect your EDC stuff from a Mack Truck. "Heavy duty" hardly describes it. My only challenge is that it does make the bag a wee bit heavier than is necessary - especially considering this is a bag that is used inside another bag (limiting it's exposure to the elements).

It carries my Field Notes, extra headphones, my Fuji x100f (on casual trips), passport (on overseas trips) and other stuff. I should probably use it more when going through the security lines...

8. OtterMeanGreen

I beg to differ. You certainly have set the precedent for quality consecutive postings. I love your usage of professional blog style pictures as well. You certainly hit the nail on the head for everyone else's identity, especially your own, as we could use a guy such as yourself in our little Filson crew. I so need one of those pouches for internal #257 organizational storage. I just need something a bit smaller and thinner, so I can still carry my cigars and whiskey next to it (obviously right :lol:).

I like your idea of a reusable spork and steel straw (I may have to adopt that). I really like the look of your original Filson luggage tag, I have yet to see one like it. The Chicago Screw is perhaps one of the best mod/improvements you can do with a Filson; however there is one just as worthy, which is the snap enclosure mod you can do for the #256. Cranes use to perform it, but I don't think they do anymore, which can be said for their posting on here as well.

I like your "modding" style very much, as you really didn't gut anything (not much to gut in a #256 :lol:). As I've stated previously, I am not anti-mod. I do appreciate those improving the bag, especially when it relates to how they will be using it. @Davey13 says this mod will better aid him along his travels, and I tend to agree with him in that regard. How has the foam pad you added helped with the #256's tell-tale ability to flop over and not stand up on its own (like the #257 does so well)?

Wait a second; Trader Joe's & Hobby Lobby? So I guess you're not from South Africa or Australia like I originally suspected? :lol:. I'm guessing it's either Wyoming or Montana? I agree though, that's one of the main reasons why I keep coming back here, as we all have so much in common (overlap) other than just Filson, camaraderie for lack of a better word. I especially like your idea of the Maxpedition bag, I need to get me one of those.

9. OtterMeanGreen

BTW what is that interesting looking contraption in your Maxpedition main compartment. It's the tool that presently reads "Made in USA"? It's the 2nd tool on the left most side of the main deep compartment.

10. OtterMeanGreen

How do you protect your Fuji x100F Camera while in the pouch among all of the other loose odds and ends? Also I would pay to literally see a concept of a Filson Rugged Twill Golf Bag. The age old question would of course be, what color? I too am a Pen hobbyist. Currently using my workhorse that I got as a tip while working at Ferrari, a Monteverde Invincia. At the time I wasn't too impressed, but have grown to love it. I love the weight of it in the hand and how it effortlessly moves when writing. I also have a 12 year old Space Pen from Fisher that I literally just replaced the original ink cartridge. It definitely has some pretty good patina on it from all the use it's seen over the years. The Monteverde I treat like I treat my #257, with delicacy. It still looks pretty much brand new, despite being over 8 years old.

11. OtterMeanGreen

F7184D14-16EF-4B31-928C-35BB53712D33.jpeg

12. Rymanocerous

Rymanocerous Senior Member

Full disclosure: I google like an old lady. That said, what is this mod? Google search did not return relevant data or pictures.

13. mdwsta4

mdwsta4 Well-Known Member

I mentioned how irritating the 48 hour was on a few trips because the hard panel that’s supposed to keep the bottom flat digs into my hip and thigh. Carrying the bag in 90* heat a few dozen blocks in NYC I had enough! Dropped into a store, grab a pair of scissors and cut open the seam at the bottom of the bag to rip the GD insert out.

I don’t know how this isn’t a common complaint or how other people get around it. Hopefully the bag is more comfortable now. Of course, I also need to figure out how to close up the hole I created in my heat induced fit of rage

14. Toombs

Toombs Active Member

The "Chicago Screw" mod that I am referring to is pictured in post #9306 by @Samgoody. He used a fixed brad, and @speedy611 in post #9312 wisely suggested a "Chicago Screw" in place of the brad. @Texan also has post #11447 that has very good pictures of this mod.

Very early in this thread there are references to use a Chicago Screw to shorten the shoulder strap in various ways, but I did not like the way it was done in the earlier posts.

15. Toombs

Toombs Active Member

Thank-you everyone for the kind support of the several long posts with pictures. I am glad that they were well received.

In reference to the "bag in a bag" discussion, I have used a few different sized leather folio sleeves for segregating odds and ends from the general space of the briefcase for many years, but they never had enough organization and jumbled whatever wires, dongles, notes, that I put in them. I also did not like the fact that they were relatively flat so even a plug adapter for an iPhone caused a bulge in the bag.

The Maxpedition bags come in a multiple of sizes. I like them for three very specific reasons. 1) They had depth to them that would accommodate larger plugs, adapters, or thick items. 2) They opened like a book so you could see everything. 3) Similar to "grid it" systems, there were enough pockets and elastic straps to hold things into an organized structure.