• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

redrabbitowski

Reaction score
Hey, I created an account to thank you for posting this! I was going to order a 256 from Filson's site with their Father's Day shipping special, but I ended up getting the 257 in tan for $208 from Joe's (with free shipping).

One question: Is it safe to assume that if I were to have any problems with it, Filson would be willing to service it and I could bypass Joe's?
Joe's Sporting Goods is having a sale on all of their Filson stock. 20% off, no code needed.
http://www.joessportinggoods.com/about/filson-pg284.htm
This bag looks awesome, but sounds huge:
filson12_70013.jpg

I think this is probably a design influenced by Richard Chai.

redrabbitowski

Reaction score
Hey! I created an account just to thank you for posting this. I was going to order a 256 from Filson via their Father's Day shipping special but instead went for a tan 257 from Joe's.

One question though: Is it safe to assume that Filson will service my bag if it needs repairs even though I didn't order directly from them?

Joe's Sporting Goods is having a sale on all of their Filson stock. 20% off, no code needed.
filson12_70013.jpg

redrabbitowski

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I was going to buy a 256 from Filson's site but a 257 from Joe's came out to $208 with free shipping.

One question, though: Will Filson service this bag if it were damaged despite the fact that I didn't buy it directly from them?

filson12_70013.jpg

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Used to care about indigo stains on shoes, but then after awhile I stopped caring so much. It's not that bag. After a lot of wear it tends to wear off/blend in with the dirtiness of the shoe.

Just bought a used tan 257 (Condition 9/10) from eBay for $165! Will try that out and see how it goes, might trade for a 256 if it ends up being too big.

Last edited:

Essential

Reaction score

KingSpence

Reaction score
I just bought a Filson 257 Briefcase computer bag online but wondering if it may be too big for my needs. I'm coming from a ~4 inch Kenneth Cole reaction bag that was simply too small. I'm a college student and carry an iPad, a few binders, a book or two, pencils, pens, graphing calculator, phone chargers etc. With all that in the Kenneth Cole it wouldn't even close shut. It was a good bag for the price but I'm looking for something roomier and nicer.

Do you guys think the 257 is too big? My load isn't incredibly large by any means, but I need to fit a few binders in there, an iPad etc. I usually have a 1.5 inch and a 1 inch binder. Textbooks are rare as they're all on my iPad. I saw a few posts with the 256 and it looks like you guys can fit a whole lot of stuff in there including a laptop. It would also be convenient if I could fit a water bottle in there as well. Thanks for any advice!

kcherney

Reaction score
does anyone have any photos of a worn-in brown 256 bag? i'm about to pull the trigger on a 256, but i am torn between the brown and tan.

i like the tan because its a classic, and looks great worn-in, but i'm concerned about how the color will work in the professional office setting. the brown seems more appropriate and would work with business attire better.

anyone have an aged brown bag?

Mine is a 257 but it's basically the same. I purchased it in Nov 2010. Although it doesn't really show in the pictures, the back is a lot darker because it doesn't get as much sun and wax from my Barbour rubs onto it. I don't know why people are so upset when they get a little blemish on their bag, it all adds to the character. I don't think these bags look all that good when they are brand new anyway. A beer exploded in there and there's a liquid stain along the bottom on the back of the bag that you can kind of see. No big deal, these things happen.

The stitching is coming undone where the shoulder strap connects to the bag, like that other guy who posted pictures recently. Let me know how your repair experience goes because I'll need to do this at some point too.

All in all, I've got the 257 in brown, the tote in tan, and the medium duffel in green. It's a good little collection.

raneym305

Reaction score

I just bought a Filson 257 Briefcase computer bag online but wondering if it may be too big for my needs. I'm coming from a ~4 inch Kenneth Cole reaction bag that was simply too small. I'm a college student and carry an iPad, a few binders, a book or two, pencils, pens, graphing calculator, phone chargers etc. With all that in the Kenneth Cole it wouldn't even close shut. It was a good bag for the price but I'm looking for something roomier and nicer.

Do you guys think the 257 is too big? My load isn't incredibly large by any means, but I need to fit a few binders in there, an iPad etc. I usually have a 1.5 inch and a 1 inch binder. Textbooks are rare as they're all on my iPad. I saw a few posts with the 256 and it looks like you guys can fit a whole lot of stuff in there including a laptop. It would also be convenient if I could fit a water bottle in there as well. Thanks for any advice!

Sounds like the 257 will be a perfect fit. As a student, you never know what you'll have to bring to class next quarter.

Let us know what you think. I'm sure you're not the only student checking this forum for advice on Filson bags.

spitshine123

Reaction score

I agree, i recently got a 257 and I was afraid it was going to be too big. It turns out it is the perfect briefcase size for me- I have a heavy 15 inch dell laptop with an extended battery for work, and i carry around its charger, an ipad, a GMAT book, maybe a magazine and the requisite pens, earbuds and other small accessories. It fits perfectly. If the bag was any smaller, i would imagine it would be pretty difficult putting everything in quickly without playing tetris.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
http://tinypic.com/r/msi3jl/6 + 13" MBP + 1-2 textbooks (maybe) + mischelly items
That's prob the most I've carried and will try fitting that into my 257 that's coming in.

I'll fit in as much as I can and give it a thorough breakdown here since 256 vs 257 is one of the most asked questions here.
Prepare for photos!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads