Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

No, a local store where I live was clearing out their prior season inventory, but at the time it seemed like lots of places where discounting Filson by 15%.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Yeah, I misunderstood how the handgrips were installed. Now that I've seen a picture of it, I want one!

3. goldenboy16

goldenboy16 Member

does anyone have any photos of a worn-in brown 256 bag? i'm about to pull the trigger on a 256, but i am torn between the brown and tan.

i like the tan because its a classic, and looks great worn-in, but i'm concerned about how the color will work in the professional office setting. the brown seems more appropriate and would work with business attire better.

anyone have an aged brown bag?

4. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

Let me know how that works out for you. I purchased my Large Carry On at their factory store (it was a great looking second!) and took it on a trip this weekend. It was pretty packed with only 3 days worth of clothes, I was going to a wedding and didn't pack very light though. I'm going on another weekend trip next week, and if I feel like I'm at capacity again I may exchange it for the large outfitter (same price at the factory store).

5. omgitswes

omgitswes Senior member

From where?

6. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

I work for a very large Microsoft partner and wear a suit and tie every day. Our VP is visiting this week and he commented on how good looking my stained (I somehow picked up a huge oil ring on the front) and dirty tan 256 is.

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

David, I called Crane's yesterday to order a handgrip and the helpful young woman who answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about. Is there a SKU that I can refer to when I call back, or can I work directly with you to order one?

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

He has good taste. I work in the Biotech industry and also wear business attire. I had a colleague recently comment that my well worn tan 256 reminded him of Zack Galifianakis' satchel in the Hangover. Some folks just don't get it. Clearly you and your VP do get it.

11. gnu

gnu Senior member

I could also use one if you have them. If I pick one up how do I go about attaching it? I was thinking of just taking it to my cobbler?

12. converge

converge Senior member

According to a Filson customer review on 5/31/12, the three open pockets inside the 257 are now sewn shut. I've had the 257 since 2009 and this has been my only complaint. They're fine for a water bottle or sunglass case, but anything else just falls through the bottom of the open-ended pockets. Here's a snippet of the review, complete with user-uploaded picture:

[​IMG]

http://www.filson.com/products/brie...ge/carry-on&fmetaProduct=1019#pr-header-70257

13. omgitswes

omgitswes Senior member

Do You guys think either a 256 or 257 could fit a 15 inch laptop with two large textbooks?

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I'll add it to the site so it's a whole lot easier to get. Do you remember who you talked to? We have a couple of new people in the store and it'll take 'em some time to get up to speed on Filson.

A 257 will. I stuff mine with way more than that pretty easily. Dave's 257 is crammed full of order books, catalogs and probably a kitchen sink or two.

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I got the Sportsman bag and the large padded laptop bag (258) for my Dad for Father's Day. I think he's really going to like them.