Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

nice. what colors?

2. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

How's the spacing inside the Filson 220 small duffle? Considering using that for school (instead of the 257) since I got a really amazing offer on one.
    I know I'll lose my organization but it might be worth it? If I can fit all my stuff that is. http://tinypic.com/r/msi3jl/6 + 13" MBP + 1-2 textbooks (maybe) + mischelly items

Perhaps I can get a Purseket or something similar?
    I remember reading somewhere that someone managed to fit 20 textbooks into a duffle, if so then I might just go for this.

3. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I can confirm this- I took delivery of my 257 last week and I was a bit confused because of the sewn pockets. I was fully expecting the open ended ones and I was wondering what happened haha...

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

I wouldn't want to put a laptop next to anything that could damage it. Just buy the 257 or if you don't have enough cash then save up till you do. It's summer right now anyways right?

5. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

I'd hold out for an actual briefcase. Not that a Duffle wouldn't get you through, I honestly would worry about the safety of it's contents though.

Buying a Filson Bag for the sake of having a Filson Bag isn't worth compromising the integrity of the items you put in it. After all, the point of using a Filson Bag is to have something strong, sturdy, and worthwhile that will protect whatever you pack in it under the most extreme conditions.

I just put my old 258 (padded laptop bag) on Seattle Craigslist for $150. You're bound to find deals like that (or better!) in your city.

6. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

If I got the duffle then I wouldn't put my laptop in there. Probably carry it then throw everything else in there.
    But this Filson duffle is the one I've been looking for in my sig! Wanted it suuuper bad before I decided that a 257 would be better for school.

Maybe I'll end up with two bags... :embar:

7. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

I was given a small duffle as a present and used it for quite a while as a "briefcase," including hauling my laptop, notebooks, etc. The laptop was in a sleeve, so it was protected. It was kind of annoying to have things floating around unorganized, but there are two pockets (one each end) inside that can keep small things organized.

Before starting law school I decided I needed more organization in my bag and bought the 257. Much better to use a briefcase as a briefcase and a duffle as a duffle. The duffle makes a great weekend bag, and carried everything I needed for a trip to NYC last weekend, in addition to a garment bag for my suit.

8. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I have had my Filson bag for about a year now and the strap just broke off. I sure hope they will repair it or replace it for me for free. Im going to be very irritated with them if they wont do anything about this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. raneym305

I can't imagine that Filson wouldn't take care of this. They are, hands down, the most accomodating company I've ever come across.

10. raneym305

I just found these pictures on my work phone. A few weeks ago, abuddy of mine was asking if he should buy my old 258 from me or get a smaller bag. I took some pictures of my 256 that I use daily to give him an idea of the capacity.

I apologize for the poor photo quality.

Top Down view of my 256 and it's contents
    [​IMG]

This day's contents: Netbook charger, Rayban's in case, 13" netbook, a couple folders with contracts and promotional packets (about 1/4" thick each), mobile wireless card, about 100 business cards, A Tide-To-Go pen, 3 pens/sharpies, Blackberry Bold phone, A stack of notecards, My prehistoric ipod & headphones, Blackberry Playbook tablet, keys, Carmex,wallet, cologne, sticky notes, key cards, leather Portfolio (about 1" thick).
    [​IMG]

Still slim and compact looking.... and yes, that is a picture of John Wayne on my wall.
    [​IMG]

No bulging or protruding of items in the front. Just a few small stains.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

11. tomatic

tomatic Senior member

Can't believe no one ever complained about the uneven backside of the Filson rucksack so i wanted to share another mod. Basically i tied the flap and each strap with a rivet which gives a much straighter silhouette and puts the rucksack closer to your body like every other product does. No long-term test made but it doesn't look as if the connection would break easily.

Original:
    [​IMG]
    Mod:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

13. quuz

quuz Senior member

Filson 256, bought it last year while on vaccation in the US. Been using it every day since for university

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stuff I bring with me everyday:

Two thick books
    Two notepads
    Macbook air 13"
    Laptop leather sleve
    3 pens
    Walle
    Macbook charger
    Moleskin portfolio

Sometimes I stuff an extra book in the bag withut a problem. I really think the 256 is the perfect sice if you are going to university (unless you study law and have to carry around an awful law book :p )

Only thing thats bothering me is the ugly stains my jeans has left on the "back side" of the bag, does anyone know how to wash this away?

[​IMG]

Im also considering getting a small duffle 70220 to use as overnight bag since I travel and commute alot.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

14. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

they make the bag look good

filsons should look used

15. asdf

asdf Senior member

Yep.