• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

omgitswes

Reaction score

I agree, i recently got a 257 and I was afraid it was going to be too big. It turns out it is the perfect briefcase size for me- I have a heavy 15 inch dell laptop with an extended battery for work, and i carry around its charger, an ipad, a GMAT book, maybe a magazine and the requisite pens, earbuds and other small accessories. It fits perfectly. If the bag was any smaller, i would imagine it would be pretty difficult putting everything in quickly without playing tetris.

Exactly the information I was looking for. I'll probably grab one towards the end of summer.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score

Buffalowang, does all that fit into your 256?

I don't own a 256. Was just saying that from all that, I decided to get a 257. Will post reference photos once it comes in.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My girlfriend bought me a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 for our anniversary. Just had a glass last night and I love it.
It's super easy to drink though so I have to be careful or else I'll find myself drink too much

Wrong thread? I prefer Glenlivet myself between that and Glenfiddich.

kcherney

Reaction score
As a student, I recommend the 257. 256 is probably just too small when you have to bring laptop/notebook/textbooks and other stuff for the day. On my tuesdays last semester, I had 4 classes and was at school for 13 hours. I couldn't even fit everything I needed for the day in the 257, but that was including bringing enough food for two meals.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For a student: 257
Working professional: 256

converge

Reaction score
After owning a 256 for a year, I sold it to my brother and got a 257 as the replacement. The widths of the two bags really change the overall silhouette.

The 256 is shaped more like a traditional briefcase because of its thinness. The disadvantage of this is that it does not stand up on its own as easily as the 257 does. It also has difficulty holding wide items. If you fit too much stuff into it, it becomes a bloated tick.

The 257 is shaped more like a messenger bag, at least when it's broken in. The interesting thing is that my 257 is now having trouble standing up on its own when my 13" MBP is in the inner sleeve. A couple of times I've thought about going back to the slimmer 256 because most of the time I'm not filling it to capacity. But every once and a while I do and I'm glad I have it.

KingSpence

Reaction score
Can somebody post pictures of what their 257 looks like over their shoulder?

I got my tan 256 today and I'm impressed by the build quality. It's a little stiff but that's expected from something that's built to last 20 years.

So far I'm not liking the handle straps just flopping around as there's no handle. I start school on Monday and don't feel like waiting forever to send it back into Filson then receive it back. Is there any other way to add a buckle to the straps to hold them together that flows with the brown leather?

I also don't like how the bag looks squarish when it's full. It feels more like a briefcase than a bag. Does the 257 also have this same quality?

BuffaloWang

Reaction score

Can somebody post pictures of what their 257 looks like over their shoulder?

I got my tan 256 today and I'm impressed by the build quality. It's a little stiff but that's expected from something that's built to last 20 years. 

So far I'm not liking the handle straps just flopping around as there's no handle. I start school on Monday and don't feel like waiting forever to send it back into Filson then receive it back. Is there any other way to add a buckle to the straps to hold them together that flows with the brown leather? 

I also don't like how the bag looks squarish when it's full. It feels more like a briefcase than a bag. Does the 257 also have this same quality?

Might be looking for a tan 256. I have a 257. Trade? :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads