Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. hymo

hymo Senior member

I use a damp microfiber cloth to rub away the indigo.

2. quuz

quuz Senior member

Meh I dont like it.

3. redrabbitowski

redrabbitowski New Member

Hey, I created an account to thank you for posting this! I was going to order a 256 from Filson's site with their Father's Day shipping special, but I ended up getting the 257 in tan for $208 from Joe's (with free shipping).

One question: Is it safe to assume that if I were to have any problems with it, Filson would be willing to service it and I could bypass Joe's?

4. redrabbitowski

Hey! I created an account just to thank you for posting this. I was going to order a 256 from Filson via their Father's Day shipping special but instead went for a tan 257 from Joe's.

One question though: Is it safe to assume that Filson will service my bag if it needs repairs even though I didn't order directly from them?

5. redrabbitowski

Thanks for posting this! I was going to buy a 256 from Filson's site but a 257 from Joe's came out to $208 with free shipping.

One question, though: Will Filson service this bag if it were damaged despite the fact that I didn't buy it directly from them?

6. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

Used to care about indigo stains on shoes, but then after awhile I stopped caring so much. It's not that bag. After a lot of wear it tends to wear off/blend in with the dirtiness of the shoe.

Just bought a used tan 257 (Condition 9/10) from eBay for $165! Will try that out and see how it goes, might trade for a 256 if it ends up being too big.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

7. Essential

Essential Senior member

Good sale but unfortunately they don't have the 256. They seem to have everything else though including the 257.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

They don't ship outside the US either.

9. Pahreen

Pahreen Well-Known Member

10. KingSpence

KingSpence New Member

I just bought a Filson 257 Briefcase computer bag online but wondering if it may be too big for my needs. I'm coming from a ~4 inch Kenneth Cole reaction bag that was simply too small. I'm a college student and carry an iPad, a few binders, a book or two, pencils, pens, graphing calculator, phone chargers etc. With all that in the Kenneth Cole it wouldn't even close shut. It was a good bag for the price but I'm looking for something roomier and nicer.

Do you guys think the 257 is too big? My load isn't incredibly large by any means, but I need to fit a few binders in there, an iPad etc. I usually have a 1.5 inch and a 1 inch binder. Textbooks are rare as they're all on my iPad. I saw a few posts with the 256 and it looks like you guys can fit a whole lot of stuff in there including a laptop. It would also be convenient if I could fit a water bottle in there as well. Thanks for any advice!

11. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Look through the last four pages of this thread for fit pics.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

12. kcherney

kcherney Member

Mine is a 257 but it's basically the same. I purchased it in Nov 2010. Although it doesn't really show in the pictures, the back is a lot darker because it doesn't get as much sun and wax from my Barbour rubs onto it. I don't know why people are so upset when they get a little blemish on their bag, it all adds to the character. I don't think these bags look all that good when they are brand new anyway. A beer exploded in there and there's a liquid stain along the bottom on the back of the bag that you can kind of see. No big deal, these things happen.

The stitching is coming undone where the shoulder strap connects to the bag, like that other guy who posted pictures recently. Let me know how your repair experience goes because I'll need to do this at some point too.

All in all, I've got the 257 in brown, the tote in tan, and the medium duffel in green. It's a good little collection.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the 257 will be a perfect fit. As a student, you never know what you'll have to bring to class next quarter.

Let us know what you think. I'm sure you're not the only student checking this forum for advice on Filson bags.

14. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I agree, i recently got a 257 and I was afraid it was going to be too big. It turns out it is the perfect briefcase size for me- I have a heavy 15 inch dell laptop with an extended battery for work, and i carry around its charger, an ipad, a GMAT book, maybe a magazine and the requisite pens, earbuds and other small accessories. It fits perfectly. If the bag was any smaller, i would imagine it would be pretty difficult putting everything in quickly without playing tetris.

15. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

http://tinypic.com/r/msi3jl/6 + 13" MBP + 1-2 textbooks (maybe) + mischelly items
    That's prob the most I've carried and will try fitting that into my 257 that's coming in.

I'll fit in as much as I can and give it a thorough breakdown here since 256 vs 257 is one of the most asked questions here.
    Prepare for photos!