• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks

Reaction score

I own the 256 briefcase. Funny thing is that I went with tan because one of my go-to jackets is green and I didn't want to match as well :tounge:

That seems to be the trend. I guess if I have a green jacket and will get a tan jacket I'll just need to buy two bags in different colours instead of just one :nodding:

Btw, has anyone found a place that sells Filson bags for better than 20% off or is that already quite good?

Last edited:

jeannoob

Reaction score
I think 20% off and free shipping was the best deal I've ever seen, so if I were you I'd take advantage of it now.

Brooks

Reaction score
Sounds good. One last question:

Do the field bags come with a can of wax or will I need to buy one myself?

jeannoob

Reaction score
It doesn't come with it. But honestly, unless you're gonna be roaming in the wild I doubt you'd need it :p

Brooks

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that...

No, I'm just kidding it will just city use. I'll probably take it camping but I'll just buy the wax when I need it. Still can't seem to decide on that damn colour though...

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That seems to be the trend. I guess if I have a green jacket and will get a tan jacket I'll just need to buy two bags in different colours instead of just one :nodding:
Btw, has anyone found a place that sells Filson bags for better than 20% off or is that already quite good?

A few posts up someone mentions getting it at 25% off, but not sure if that is still current. Cable Car Clothiers also had one for possibly 30%, but that does not happen too often. I would say that you should get no less than a 15% discount at any time. Anything above that is decent.

Brooks

Reaction score

You'd think they will give leathet strap instead, after charging premium price.

I would much prefer the leather strap as well. I heard you can buy one from Filson directly if you want but that's another $20-$40 that we shouldn't need to spend. Maybe they wanted to give some variety by adding the new strap (but maybe it's more likely they wanted to up the profit)?

Brooks

Reaction score
I've got my first Filson bags on the way! 230 and 256 in Otter Green and 257 in Tan. I (probably) won't keep both the 256 and 257 so I'll probably do a local sale to some one in the Lower Mainland.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if this has been posted before but I figured out a really simple way of shortening your Filson strap without punching any new holes in the leather. I simply detached the smaller section of the strap and connected the longer part to itself using a copper screw and post that I got at an art supply store for $1.

Also, yes that is a Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch Good Vibrations 12" single in the background.

milw50717

Reaction score

Im not sure if this has been posted before but I figured out a really simple way of shortening your Filson strap without punching any new holes in the leather. I simply detached the smaller section of the strap and connected the longer part to itself using a copper screw and post that I got at an art supply store for $1.

Vinyl rules !

Good tip. Just an FYI for others looking for this type of screw and post is that they are also known as a chicago screw.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads