Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. sputnikmoment

sputnikmoment Member

Im thinking between the medium field bag and the small carryon bag. But I read from filsonfan.com that the way the strap hangs from the small carryon is kind of awkward. However, fitting a 13" macbook pro would be quite a stretch for the medium field bag. Any advice on this?

2. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

From what I've read (I forget where) a 13" Macbook Air won't fit in the Medium Field Bag so I doubt a Pro will fit

3. OldManMachine

OldManMachine Well-Known Member

Just ordered a Filson 257 in brown from Joe's Sporting Good, 20% off. Pretty sweet deal! This will be my first Filson and is going to be used as my everyday work commuting bag.

4. Quartermain

Quartermain Member

I would really love one of the Filson bags but am unable to find any in the UK. I have also thought about purchasing from the US, but import tax and shipping is high - perhaps I should task my US based brother in law to help!
    Can anybody recommend a US dealer who is willing to ship to the UK and is good on price and shipping costs?

Many thanks,

Q

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

oi polloi carries filson, although their present stock is kinda slim.

just bought another filson last week.. the tin cloth backpack. its gonna be daddy's bag to put the acidkids' water, wipes, clothes and other junk whenever we step out.

[​IMG]

6. Hype1234

Hype1234 Senior member

My 13" macbook pro just squeezes into the medium field bag. I can't even put it in my incase sleeve or it won't fit (too long). However, there's still room to toss in my power cable and a small novel along with the bare laptop, so it might work for you.

7. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

I was finally able to see some Filson bags in person today and they are pretty nice. Wasn't able to see the 232 in person which is what I'm planning to get but I did see the 230 and I definitely want to pick one up as well somewhere down the road. Also saw the 256 and some other bags that I can't identify off the top of my head but they were all quite nice.

8. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

Any input on whether to go with tan or green? Also, do you guys get the same colour for every bag or do you mix it up?

9. jeannoob

jeannoob Senior member

My bag is in tan but I regret not getting Otter Green.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy my tan!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

10. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

Which bag do you have jean? I was so sure I was going to go with the tan because one of my favourite jackets is similar to Otter Green so I don't want them to match when I wear it. Otter Green is such a great colour though so I'm leaning toward that now.

11. milesbeyond

milesbeyond Well-Known Member

I got the Otter Green because of that reason (didn't want to match my Levi's tan trucker).

I have a 257 and just bought a Sportsman's, both in Otter Green. I think I'm going to keep all my future bag purchases the same color. Something classy and nice about matching luggage, in my opinion.

12. SaddleSC

SaddleSC Active Member

I think that some Filson bags tend to look better in Tan and others look better in the Otter Green. My collection started off about 65/35 biased toward Tan, but as I have added to the collection, the balance is starting to shift in the other direction. My most recent purchases: Pullman, Original Briefcase and Field Bag have all been in Otter Green.

Both colors look great and they also work very well together. It is hard to make a bad decision.

(There is also an article on the FilsonFan blog about choosing the best color that may help.)

13. SaddleSC

SaddleSC Active Member

I bought the 256 Original Briefcase in both Otter Green and Tan. I decided to sell the OG on Craigslist and regretted it immediately:) So, I went home and re-ordered it during the 25% off sale at Glen's. It is really a great looking bag, but I love my Tan one also. They are both so classic, it is impossible for me to choose between the two.

14. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

Could you guys post a shot of all your bags together? It would awesome to see how your collections looked with mixed colours and all the same colour.

I guess it doesn't help that I want to get that trucker jacket too.

Thanks for the tip on the blog post.

15. jeannoob

jeannoob Senior member

I own the 256 briefcase. Funny thing is that I went with tan because one of my go-to jackets is green and I didn't want to match as well :tounge: