• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks

Reaction score
I think the wool under the flap is cool but I'm not a fan of it on the sides. I feel like it would work better as a nice semi-hidden accent.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up the zippered tote. Next to medium travel bag

8yvuhasu.jpg

{Poasted via palm pilot}

SaddleSC

Reaction score
Picked up the zippered tote. Next to medium travel bag
{Poasted via palm pilot}

The Filson Zippered Tote in Otter Green is one of my favorites...it is such a versatile bag. I also really like that medium Travel Bag. It is the only carry-on bag I own that I never have to worry about. It can take anything I throw at it.

Last edited:

SaddleSC

Reaction score
+1. Quite nice touch, but that's a bit much. Too gauche.
I agree. I would rather the plaid be only an accent under the flap, as opposed to the entire side. Did anyone else notice that this bag appears to use a different label (and label position) than that standard Filson bag? It appears to have some red in it and be located on the side, rather than under the flap.

Brooks

Reaction score
My 230, 256, and 257 are waiting at the mailbox but I can't pick them up until Saturday!

violethour1951

Reaction score
I had handgrips installed on my 256s and thought I'd share some data points for those who are interested. IMO it is a lot more comfortable to carry the 256 with the handgrip.

The 256 doesn't come with a handgrip initially and I contacted Filson about putting one on mine. They asked me to ship it out to them in Seattle. The entire process took a little over 2 weeks and cost $20, not including the initial cost of shipping to Filson.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I had handgrips installed on my 256s and thought I'd share some data points for those who are interested. IMO it is a lot more comfortable to carry the 256 with the handgrip.

The 256 doesn't come with a handgrip initially and I contacted Filson about putting one on mine. They asked me to ship it out to them in Seattle. The entire process took a little over 2 weeks and cost $20, not including the initial cost of shipping to Filson.

+1, but I ordered my handgrip from Crane's Country Store ($10 + shipping = I think it was $17), and had it attached locally in San Francisco ($20). I'm very happy with how it came out.

Brooks

Reaction score
I got my bags in and I think I like the 256 better than the 257 for size but also because it doesn't have the hand grip. Maybe after owning it for a while and carrying a bunch of heavy stuff in it I'll want a hand grip but for now I think it's great just the way it is (except that it's Otter Green and not Tan).

The 257 is just too big of a bag for everyday use unless your a student or carries a numerous amount of things. I thought I carried a lot of stuff in my backpack and surprisingly everything fit into the 256. Of course there was no room left so spare whereas in the 257 there is still plenty of room to spare.

The 230 is bigger than I initially thought and still feels like a purse but it does the job I need it to with plenty of room leftover.

I don't know what to do about the 256/257 situation though since I now just want a 256 tan but have both the 256 OG and 257 tan.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1, but I ordered my handgrip from Crane's Country Store ($10 + shipping = I think it was $17), and had it attached locally in San Francisco ($20). I'm very happy with how it came out.

It cost you $20 to drive a couple studs through the handgrip and into the handle?

SaddleSC

Reaction score
I don't know what to do about the 256/257 situation though since I now just want a 256 tan but have both the 256 OG and 257 tan.

I have a couple 256s (one in OG and one in Tan). I actually use the OG the majority of the time. Sell the 257 and perhaps give the 256 in OG a couple weeks of use to see if the color grows on you. I find the OG to be a little more subtle and much more resistant to dirt.

Regardless of which color you end up with, congratulations in advance:)

jeannoob

Reaction score
Brooks, if you lived in Vancouver, I would trade your OG for my tan :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads