• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on all accounts. I’m not sure if my Talon MTB is still very stiff and new, but I have yet to see mine in a similar light. The one I posted was pretty patinated.

Plus I recall you saying the 242 (and I’d think 243) is slimmer due to its clamshell design, so when hand carrying you can streamline a crowded space. The problem I have with these designs is that there’s really only 2 ways to carry it: by hand or crossbody. The MTB, with its duffel style mounting points, allows for one shoulder carry. It’s all preference. One day I will justify the 242 or 243 and maybe that won’t matter with the way it looks. My opinion certainly changed on the MTB, I was a pretty big critic of that bag in years past

I switched out the stock leather strap with the nylon Fllson one. I think it makes the clamshell style bags carry pretty well in that x-body, bike messenger way i.e. flat against the back.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again I’m not debating whether or not they are the same size or even similar in size, but I disagree that they are much different in storage capacity.

5 pairs of pants, 12 shirts, shoes, sweater and still room to spare for other travel necessities.

This is the Filson alleged revised MTB, so you can expect to add slightly more to the Talon, and if using packing cubes (which he’s not)...even more capacity. To me i don’t think that qualifies as being much smaller. In my opinion.

Unless you’re flying for 2 weeks abroad, the full capacity of the Pullman 243 is overkill, so most I would imagine don’t pack it full. In the end it’s preference, what design suits you more; clamshell vs duffel. I personally like ease of use when traveling, so the MTB appeals to me. If I need to fish something out of my bag I don’t need to set it down. The 243 or 242 really don’t succeed in that manner, so it’s another thing to consider.
Ok, but aren’t size and storage capacity generally the same thing? I mean bigger means more capacity to store?

Where you are correct is that a fully packed MTB is probably close to the max comfortable carry weight, so any size advantage that the large Pullman has is probably not all that useful. both great bags, I’ve just had both and the Pullman can hold substantially more if it needed to.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, but aren’t size and storage capacity generally the same thing? I mean bigger means more capacity to store?

Where you are correct is that a fully packed MTB is probably close to the max comfortable carry weight, so any size advantage that the large Pullman has is probably not all that useful. both great bags, I’ve just had both and the Pullman can hold substantially more if it needed to.

If size (linear inches) and capacity (volume) were the same, then yes I agree they would be the same, but according to a recent article I read they don’t appear to be. The 243 (45.5”) is only 3.5 linear inches larger then the 246 (42”). Bigger in appearance, absolutely, but not by a large number like say the 248, which is 47”

However that’s not taking into account fabric structure or thickness. I’m certainly not arguing that the Twill is thinner but the MTB has structure which means the Twill appears thicker in some spots in the form of padding. The 243 has more of a loose structure and can be contorted in a way. With that in mind I might even argue a similar or almost identical storage capacity of the 243 vs 248, considering the extra padding in the LTB.

You’re right, the Pullman at max volumetric capacity would be a shoulder shredder and also skating a fine line with max allowance of Carryon regulation.

A good read for sure. Too bad I don’t have access to a crate of new tennis balls:

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of incredible finds to share with the group:

1. Talon Era Otter Green 243 for only $200 shipped:

2. FRD #260 Talon Era with beautiful light brown leather and a handgrip with D Rings, most commonly found on the LTB, Pullman, medium duffel

Link coming soon

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a nice Filson coupon to use...don't own any pieces clothing or bags or otherwise. What should I use it on?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's that 2nd link I said I would share. Apparently I was too late as it already sold and for only $67.80. An alleged FRD one of a kind tote sold for an unheard amount, definitely a case of not knowing what you had. That was one lucky buyer.

wow 1.png
wow 2.png

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a nice Filson coupon to use...don't own any pieces clothing or bags or otherwise. What should I use it on?
Gateway items tend to be
256 original briefcase
Alaskan guide shirt
Tin or wool packer hat
Mackinaw vest
Single Mac cruiser

but all depends on what you need. The good news is that all the classic Filson stuff is great quality and is functional / useful. Avoid t shirts, nylon luggage and ( controversially) tin cloth bags - at least to begin with.

good luck!

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Here's that 2nd link I said I would share. Apparently I was too late as it already sold and for only $67.80. An alleged FRD one of a kind tote sold for an unheard amount, definitely a case of not knowing what you had. That was one lucky buyer.

View attachment 1307052 View attachment 1307053
Guess not many people were searching for “totoes”

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess not many people were searching for “totoes”

Good catch. I'm super bummed I didn't bid on it. For some reason I thought I had more time. There's a divider in the front pockets even and that leather looks to be from a large talon duffel. I don't think it looks as nice as @TinMan3 workshop tote, but it's probably a close 2nd.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gateway items tend to be
256 original briefcase
Alaskan guide shirt
Tin or wool packer hat
Mackinaw vest
Single Mac cruiser

but all depends on what you need. The good news is that all the classic Filson stuff is great quality and is functional / useful. Avoid t shirts, nylon luggage and ( controversially) tin cloth bags - at least to begin with.

good luck!

Thanks for your thoughts. The Mac looks great and will probably be a purchase soon. Tin coat also was very appealing to me and have wanted one for a long time.

Love their briefcases, esp the 24/48 Hr bag and weekender medium duffle.

Going to be a tough call!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good catch. I'm super bummed I didn't bid on it. For some reason I thought I had more time. There's a divider in the front pockets even and that leather looks to be from a large talon duffel. I don't think it looks as nice as @TinMan3 workshop tote, but it's probably a close 2nd.

I would be bummed too.

There is a lot more knowledge on the part of sellers on what they have these days so it’s rarer to find a deal like this. You can see it with use of “talon” or “workshop” or “restoration” in the description (even when it’s not FRD but just a repair).

I suspect this is directly a result of people reading this forum. And OMG, I think you were the first - or at least the most prolific - on posting on the virtues of the Talon era stuff so ironically you may have raised the prices on your own subsequent purchases!

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I feel your pain brother!
I’m sure every single one of us in here would’ve bid

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gateway items tend to be
256 original briefcase
Alaskan guide shirt
Tin or wool packer hat
Mackinaw vest
Single Mac cruiser

good luck!
+1 on the Mackinaw vest. It's a great piece.

The jac shirt is nice to. Bloody expensive though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minubabsy